“Don't stay here!”

Best Western Plus Boston Hotel
Ranked #73 of 85 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed August 17, 2007

DON’T STAY IN THE BEST WESTERN ROUNDHOUSE!

They tried to charge me on checkout for the room I had already paid for. This took 30mins to resolve and then when I returned home they had charged me an extra £260 ($520) anyway!

I have contacted both the online customer service and the hotel directly, arranged times for the general manager to call me and have left numerous voicemails for him to respond to but no replies! They are not reliable and have ignored my discontent at the experience!

STAY AT THE MIDTOWN INN ON HUNTINGTON AVE instead- extremely helpful staff, affordable rates, great location!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank IanB17
Write a ReviewReviews (1,385)

Reviewed August 14, 2007

My wife and I and three teenage children stayed here for three nights mid-July.After reading some of the negative reviews we were rather apprehensive but we were very pleased with what we found.
One reason the staff at reception may appear unfriendly is that, in my opinion,reception is under-staffed and they (or in our case one single female) are working so hard answering phones,checking people in and out, answering queries etc. it's amazing they remain so patient or have time to manage a smile.
Our room was an excellent size, well sound proofed and very clean.Car parking was free and near at hand.The hotel was also very good value especially with the dollar rate this summer.
One major problem is the breakfast area which in high season is simply too small to cope with demand.There are only about 6 or 7 tables in the breakfast area in a hotel with hundreds of guests! We had to carry our breakfast up to our bedroom on the fourth floor because there was no room anywhere else .
Another slight problem is the neighbourhood which is rather run down and seems to consist of old factory lots,truck loading depots and lumber yards.But the hotel's excellent and free shuttle bus helped to get people into most parts of town or at least the nearest "T" station very efficiently.
Overall we have very pleasant memories of our stay in the Roundhouse.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Doire
Reviewed July 23, 2007

I was dubious about staying at a Best Western, but we were very pleased with our stay. The desk staff, shuttle drivers and housekeeping staff were all very helpful, pleasant, and they consistently made an extra effort on all counts.

There is a complimentary shuttle service that provides service to a limited selections of drop-off/pick-up points within a 2 mile radius of the hotel. One may also arrange airport transportation for a ridiculously inexpensive rate, and it only takes 15 minutes to get to Logan (if you're not traveling at rush hour). Public transportation is easy to use, economical, and within a 2 block walk of the hotel.

The rooms are comfortable and of good size, if not spacious. The complimentary breakfast is quite adequate, although it gets very crowded after 8:30 a.m.

I would stay here again, I would recommend it to other travelers who are in search of comfort and intermediate level services at reasonable rates.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank roadviola
Reviewed July 20, 2007

Last week, I went to Boston by myself to see 2 Sox games and I found out about that hotel. Best Western has got a good standard. Clean room, decent breakfast. This hotel, however, is difficult ro rate.
First of all, should we downgrade it because of its impersonnal, almost impolite greetings by its counter hostesses? No smile, no words of greetings, just a "you got your credit card?". Really, if I were the manager, I would question myself about the way I trained my staff on that matter.

Second and foremost, the hotel itself is located in a very bad and dirty, noisy part of town. The nicepart part about it is the shuttle that allows us to get out of that hood...Parking is free,,,yeah, what
a conveniance....you have to park your car in the lot of a gas station. No security and a lot of people roving at night. Homeless, strange figures walking around and about. I even set my alarm at night so I would go see if my car was still there...The Mc Donald across the street could certainly be considered one of the dirtiest in the whole country, let alone poor service and bad customer service habits.

About the hotel itself, the free, help yourself breakfast was lush and generous. Nothing to say, really. It got me started well. Air conditionning needs some "reconditionning", if you know what I mean. Inconsistent, too cold, too "warm", difficult to regulate. My neighbours were once told to open their windows if they wanted to get
fresh air...wow....even with the windows closed, you can hear the city life...ambulances, traffic, honking,,..

Next time I go back to Boston, I will try another hotel in another area. An area which is going to be cleaner, more upscale and certainly more appealing.

Thanks to the shuttle drivers for allowing me to escape, on several occasions.

It you can avoid this hotel, do it.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank lebeaublond
Reviewed July 12, 2007

The rooms were nice enough, but rather small compared to other "suite" hotels. The hotels offers free parking, but only offers about a dozen spaces for all of the occupants. We were told to park in a space not within the lot, and then were called at 7:30 AM to come and move the car since it was blocking the hotel van. We also brought a pet (which is allowed) but were placed on the 5th floor! With only one entrance to the hotel, this was very inconvenient. I do not recommend this hotel for pet owners. The neighborhood is a little shady and there is no grass on which to walk/run pets!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank traveller0729
Reviewed July 1, 2007

The immediate neighborhood around the Best Western Roundhouse is not scenic, but a 15-minute drive straight down Massachusetts Avenue followed by two turns takes you to lovely Copley Square and all of Boston's tourist attractions. The staff was fine. My teenage son and I always prefer a suite, and the king suites here are true suites, with a door between the rooms and separate televisions. However, the (one) bathroom was inside the master bedroom. The decor was Spartan, and the free Continental breakfast (bagels, muffins, toast, waffle machine) was okay but strictly do-it-yourself. Our Internet booking was for $135 a night, but as usual in Boston, taxes and one on-demand movie added about $30. As promised, the parking was free, though it turned out to be in an unattended lot across the street, and I had to trot back to my car after check-in to place a permit tag on the dash. Overall, I would recommend this hotel, but I vastly prefer the Doubletree Suites on Soldiers Field Road in Boston. You can sometimes get a suite at that Doubletree for about the same price (though on this particularly July weekend, there were no discounts there except on a smoking suite), and the Doubletree is far superior because 1) the suites and lobby are more elegantly decorated, and the suite bathroom is situated between rooms, and 2) Doubletree on Soldiers Field Road, though not in the heart of the city either, is a more elegant, "happening" place with a cool jazz club and beautiful dining room with a view of the Charles River, plus a small pool. However, the Doubletree charges lots for parking, and there's also a charge (worth it, though!) for the posh breakfast buffet, which includes some table service for juice and coffee (with silverware and real plates, not plastic) plus omelettes made to order. So for price alone, choose Best Western, but for about $40 more (for 2 people), choose Doubletree on Soldiers Field Rd. when discounted.

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank SMALover
Reviewed June 17, 2007

The hotel was very clean, and had wonderful DAY STAFF. There was free parking and free breakfast. The shuttle was not as timely as I thought it should be, and one of our drivers smelled of beer... (night time). The night time male staff was surly and rude. They spoke over me and did not listen to my requests. The day staff was wonderful.... 5 stars all the way.

I stayed at this hotel for the eBay Live convention in June 2007. This hotel is perfect for that type of stay.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business