So of course when you book the room, they're not forthcoming with the fact that Boston Medical Center is a stone's throw away, and they have a heavy equipment yard in the back that starts gettin' busy at the crack of dawn. That was, and is, always my big gripe with any hotel. They always give me a room above a bar, or next to the generator room, or next to a convention room that's having a bachelor party. My bad, need to learn to ask.
So the cons:
1. The area is not so nice and really doesn't accommodate a family walking to a restaurant nearby or entertainment nearby... gotta take a shuttle or a taxi. There are panhandlers and gang graffiti about - not too comfortable walking my 4 year old around. The establishments nearby were garage rentals, gas stations, dry cleaners, etc. There are no nice views from any of the rooms. Ours overlooked a heavy equipment yard.
2. Also, one of the two front desk receptionists was none too friendly. I can't say she was unprofessional, because she did her job. But to get her to talk was like pulling teeth, and we got to the point where we were afraid to bother her.
3. One of those places you have to ask for a key to use the bathroom while in the lobby, waiting or having breakfast. So you have to wait in line, then ask, the return it. And twice in 2 days (remember I'm with a small child), the bathroom was being serviced, and we had to walk down into this basement and find our way to an unmarked bathroom door that never had soap. A little inconvenient.
4. The beds... ... horrible. And when we asked for an extra blanket they said they were "out".
Pros: 1. The 3 men who shuttled the guests about were bar none with their friendliness, knowledge of the area and they're very willing to help. Loved them.
2. free shuttle to/from Museum of Fine Arts. Wonderful.
3. For the MOST part, (except for one), the staff was great.
4. GREAT complimentary breakfast. More than your usual fare when given a free meal.
So, next time I'm in Boston, I think I'll get a place that's closer to downtown where one could walk around to restaurants, shops, events, etc., and a somewhat cleaner area, say, like near the Prudential Center. Reminds me of the upper West side of Manhattan. I don't know why other reviewers said the beds were comfortable, unless they're used to sleeping on a 20 year old futon.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Best Western, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Best Western Plus Boston Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Roundhouse Hotel Boston
- Best Western Roundhouse Hotel
- Best Western Boston
- Boston Best Western