“Overall good for the cost”

Best Western Plus Boston Hotel
Ranked #70 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Oneonta, New York
“Overall good for the cost”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The hotel was very clean and the bed was comfortable. Our room was spacious. The shuttle to the hospital was very convenient. We had an issue in our room (308) where the window wouldn't close all the way and at one point the bottom pane even fell out. We were able to get it put back in but it wouldn't latch. This being said the room was very drafty! Also we heard sirens the entire night. Another warning, if it is snowy outside the entrance to the hotel is very slippery, my fiance fell. We did enjoy the breakfast and found enough to eat our fill. The internet worked very well. Overall we were happy with our stay.

Room Tip: Avoid 308 if you want to stay warm
Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kat C
GMroundhouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Kat C,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I am so sorry to read about the window in room 308. It is because of feedback such as yours that I can address such issues. Please know that it has been repaired.

I hope 2014 is a Healthy and Prosperous year for you both!

GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hastings
Reviewed January 5, 2014

My husband and I booked a week in November around thanksgiving for a relaxing vacation/shopping trip, so we didn't want to spend a huge amount of money on a City Centre hotel. Also, we had stayed for a couple of nights in Braintree a few years back, and didn't want to have to travel loads in pot the centre each day. We arranged an airport transfer via the online form at a cost of around $10 each. This took a couple of goes to get a response and confirmation - apparently a problem with the online form. When we arrived at the airport we went to the information desk and got them to phone the hotel as my mobile phone had no signal. When the driver arrived, he was lovely to us and explained that he didn't have our booking so bit confused as to what went wrong there, but all's well that ends well.

On arrival, the hotel lobby looked bright and festive. Check in was quick and pleasant. We asked for a quiet room as I had read a couple of reviews mentioning some noise. Our room was delightful, and much bigger than we expected. We had a sitting area with wet bar (being British, I would call this a mini kitchen area, consisting of a sink, microwave, coffee maker, kettle, work top, and a fridge). The sitting area had a large sofa (this I think was a sofa bed), table, chairs and a huge TV. This let through some doors to a large bedroom, with huge bed, armchairs and another big TV. Plenty of drawers and hanging space for clothes, plus iron and board. Bathroom had full size bath and very
clean.

Bed was comfy, heard a bit of noise early morning, but not too bad.

Went into breakfast area. Plenty of seating. Breakfast choice was pretty repetitive, but quite generous. Fruit wasn't always topped up, but there was plenty of cereal, bagels, cakes, yoghurt. Nice touch having a waffle maker. The hot food wasn't hot at all. The sausage patties, scrambled egg were there every day, with the exception of one, where there were egg omlettes, were almost cold. When I asked a member of staff, she replied 'the warmers have been broken for ages'. Ok, so having to microwave your hot food wasn't a problem, but surely it's a bit if a health and safety issue not keeping food stored at the correct temperature. Whilst we were there, a couple of management checked in in the breakfast buffet, and I'm sure they were aware if the break downs, but didn't seem that bothered. A simple fixing of this should not have been ignored for ages. But overall the breakfast was ample to set us up for the day.

Coffee and hot drinks were available all day in the lobby, and hot soup was served for a Cooke of hours each late afternoon (although a couple of days there was no sign if the advertised soup?).

We used the shuttle a couple of times. Most of the drivers were lovely, but one was a bit 'grumpy', so we tended to avoid trips with him. The routes for the shuttle were a bit limited, but we worked around where we needed to go.

We had read some scathing reviews with regard to the location of the hotel. And we expected the worse. But for the reasonable price, what do you expect. Anyway, the location was pretty good. We felt very safe. We walked up to the South Bay shopping area in just over 15 mins. And from the, the subway station Andrew got us to other areas of boston (the shuttle bus goes to Andrew). We bought a week Link pass for the subway/bus system, what a great purchase. So most of the time we travelled around like this, and didn't bother with the hassle of waiting for the shuttle. There are bus stops just along the road from the hotel to take us to and from the subway, and we found that the bus timetables were very accurate! There were a few places to eat nearby, but we tended to eat in the City or in the South Bay shopping area. The HUGE liqueur store a few minutes walk from the hotel was amazing. Fab to grab a bottle of wine/few beers and take back to the room.

Did a bit of sightseeing in our week including Harvard tour, a visit to Salem, lots of shopping!, a few lovely walks, a trip to the Samuel Adams brewery (free tour - what a fab day - lots of free beer! - highly recommended!).

The computer/printer was handy. Managed to do our online check in for our return journey and print out boarding passes.

A good tip when going back to the airport is to take the free shuttle to the bus terminal on the Silver line subway (think I remembered this right). As we had our link pass, we were dropped off here with our cases and the airport bus took us straight to our departure terminal - so no need to book the $10 hotel airport transfer at all. Was very quick to get us to airport.

So all in all, the Roundhouse was a great value hotel and we were very happy with our stay, and would recommend it as a perfect base for a Boston vacation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank suzzybHastings
GMroundhouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear suzzybHastings,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the TripAdvisor rewview. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the spacious rooms.

We hope to see you soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We had a group of 9 from Ireland & England staying at this hotel in November. Overall we were delighted with our stay.

This was most of our first times staying in an American hotel. We have all stayed in hotels across Europe on countless occasions and set our expectations accordingly. We are used to European hotels and from the hotels we stayed in on this trip I believe there is a better standard hotel in America. Therefore some people reading this review, mainly from the States, may feel that it is overly positive because of what they are used to but I am writing this from my/our point of view with the benchmark being comparable priced hotels in Europe.

ROOMS; As far as I know there are only 2 types of room in the Hotel; Junior Suite with 2 double beds and King Suite with 1 double bed. Between the group we had both types. Personally I had the King Suite. This room was brilliant. Lobby area with sofa, coffee maker, fridge, microwave & 42" flat screen TV. Bedroom with king size bed and another matching 42" flat screen. The bed was most comfortable I have ever come across in any hotel and I've stayed in enough of them. Very clean. The Junior Suite was of comparable quality with a larger connected lobby area that was large enough to accommodate the whole group for a few drinks after one of the more tiring days when going into town was just too daunting.

STAFF; A real strength of this hotel is the staff. Receptionists were very pleasant, helpful & accommodating. Special mention to the brown haired receptionist, sorry cant remember her name, who dropped part of our group to a bowling alley in Dorchester, this is over and above the call of duty and it was really appreciated. There is a complementary Shuttle bus ran by the hotel which drops & picks you up from areas in Boston. We found this service fantastic for the week. Special mention to the driver Pablo who was brilliant and went out of his way on many occasions to accommodate us. Really nice people overall

FOOD; Breakfast was nice and a very satisfactory. Cereals, waffles, breads, croissants, bagels, eggs, granola bars, coffees, tea, juices etc. Also in reception 24 hours a day there is an area that has complementary coffees, tea, juices, granola bars, fruit & cookies. I was a very nice touch as with having a group of 9, waiting for everybody to assemble in reception could take 10-15mins, so in that time you could sit around reception and have a coffee & maybe a cookie while you wait. On a side note, one of our group mentioned to the receptionist how nice the cookies were one morning, and upon arriving back to the room that evening there was a big plate of cookies waiting for her on the lobby table and milk in the fridge. A very nice touch again by the girls in reception.

LOCATION; Location is ok, not brilliant but not bad either. With the shuttle bus it becomes much less of a factor. There is a McDonalds, pizzeria & convenience store just across the street. There is a large retail park just down the road with a great applebees (they vary a lot in my experience, this one was very good) a TJ Maxx, Best Buy, Target etc. Just beyond that there is a T line station.

MISC; Free Wifi, free usage computer & printer in its own room (great for booking things & printing the tickets, this is unheard of in Europe you pay for using the computer in 5/10 minute blocks and there is never a printer), Lots of channels on TV

Overall we were delighted and wouldn't hesitate to book it again or recommend it to anyone.

CONS;

Key cards for the doors constantly stopped working in all our rooms. Quick visit to reception rectifies this.

We were woken early some mornings by a guy getting out of a dumpster in the carpark adjacent. Very sad but sleeping rough seems to be very common all over Boston.

Elevators very very slow.

One member of reception was below the benchmark of all the rest but the rest were so good they made up for her.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank sqsc
Dear sqsc,

Thank you for the five stars! The staff and I truly enjoyed having you staff with us and making our jobs more fun.

Jennifer, our Front Office Manager, dropped you off at the bowling alley and I agree that was very nice of her to do going above the call of duty. But she too enjoyed you all! Pablo, the shuttle driver is an asset to our team as he knows the area and is more than willing to share local favorites with visitors.

We hope you see you again!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Arrived to a friendly staff who were helpful with tips on what to do while in Boston. Room was large and very clean! Beds were comfortable and sleeping was great! Breakfast was only fair paper plates and cutlery make it appear cheap, replenishing the buffet should have been done more often!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
GMroundhouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Pixie120454;

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I am glad you enjoyed the spacious suites and had a good night's sleep.

I appreciate the feedback on the breakfast as we are in the process of making changes.

We hope to see you soon!

Nashua, United States
Reviewed December 20, 2013

If you are a rewards member the special floor they have for you is great on the 6th floor, but what I will say is do not decide it is a good idea to have your continental breakfast delivered to your room. My son and I did that and the problem is when the food came it was not good at all.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Keith M
GMroundhouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Keith M,

You are a valued member of the Best Western Rewards program and I am glad you were able to enjoy the upgrade to the 6th floor. I see that you have stayed here before and I am glad you chose to come again.

I do apologize that you did not enjoy the breakfast delivered to your room. If you would like to contact me directly at rhgm@wnwhospitality.com please do so.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 12, 2013

We stayed here so our daughter could visit nearby Northeastern University. I looked at many hotels near the school and they all had parking fees. I was pleasantly surprised to find this hotel w/ free parking, free breakfast and a suite to boot. The parking lot is across the street from the hotel and you have to walk around the corner to get to the front entrance. The parking lot was well lit and we had no issues.
The top floor (6th) is reserved for rewards members. We also got 2 free bottles of water as well. Our room had a small living room w/ microwave, fridge and coffee maker. We had 2 double beds and a decent bathroom. The sink was outside the bathroom which made it convenient for 4 people to get ready in the morning. There aren't that many rooms/floor, maybe 18, so it's not a big hotel. The ice machine seems to be only on the 1st floor which was a pain. Our only complaint about our room was that we were located near the gas station next door. On Saturday night, we heard yelling and cars screeching down the road. It turns out the this gas station is a convenient place to gas up before they speed away to drag race down the streets of Boston. We also occasionally heard street noise from cars, sirens, etc. That's to be expected as we are in a city.
The breakfast was ok, nothing spectacular. They had hot items, waffle makers and the usual breakfast food. They offer "room service" for breakfast for rewards members and I saw an employee filling the orders on a cart.
Didn't use the shuttle service. Neighborhood seems ok. Yes, the bldg is round but the exterior wall in our room was not.
I would stay here again if our daughter decides to go to Northeastern.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank safety_princess
GMroundhouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear safety_princess,

Thank you for the four stars and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. The complimentary parking is a definite asset when visiting the city. You did very well with your math as we have 6 floors with 16 rooms each but the first floor! Not that big of a hotel but rather quaint with it's history!

I wish your daughter well in her future efforts. And indeed if she chooses Northeastern we would love for you to stay with us again!

Storrs, Connecticut
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I had to stay there for a night during a meeting at hynes center in boston. Its around 20min walking distance, very convenient. It was in December, I felt cold and could not see any heater in suite. Room was in first floor which is the same level with the street and curtains was very thin, seems like they dont care the privacy.

Room Tip: go upper floors!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank fdirisaglik
Dear fdirisaglik,

I am so sorry to read that you were unhappy with your stay. Each room is equipped with its personal thermostat located above the kitchenettte area. Please know if you ever have a problem with your room we want you to call the front desk so we may assist you or correct the problem.

I hope you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations if you are in Boston again!