“Great Value Hotel!!”

Best Western Plus Boston Hotel
Ranked #74 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We had a group of 9 from Ireland & England staying at this hotel in November. Overall we were delighted with our stay.

This was most of our first times staying in an American hotel. We have all stayed in hotels across Europe on countless occasions and set our expectations accordingly. We are used to European hotels and from the hotels we stayed in on this trip I believe there is a better standard hotel in America. Therefore some people reading this review, mainly from the States, may feel that it is overly positive because of what they are used to but I am writing this from my/our point of view with the benchmark being comparable priced hotels in Europe.

ROOMS; As far as I know there are only 2 types of room in the Hotel; Junior Suite with 2 double beds and King Suite with 1 double bed. Between the group we had both types. Personally I had the King Suite. This room was brilliant. Lobby area with sofa, coffee maker, fridge, microwave & 42" flat screen TV. Bedroom with king size bed and another matching 42" flat screen. The bed was most comfortable I have ever come across in any hotel and I've stayed in enough of them. Very clean. The Junior Suite was of comparable quality with a larger connected lobby area that was large enough to accommodate the whole group for a few drinks after one of the more tiring days when going into town was just too daunting.

STAFF; A real strength of this hotel is the staff. Receptionists were very pleasant, helpful & accommodating. Special mention to the brown haired receptionist, sorry cant remember her name, who dropped part of our group to a bowling alley in Dorchester, this is over and above the call of duty and it was really appreciated. There is a complementary Shuttle bus ran by the hotel which drops & picks you up from areas in Boston. We found this service fantastic for the week. Special mention to the driver Pablo who was brilliant and went out of his way on many occasions to accommodate us. Really nice people overall

FOOD; Breakfast was nice and a very satisfactory. Cereals, waffles, breads, croissants, bagels, eggs, granola bars, coffees, tea, juices etc. Also in reception 24 hours a day there is an area that has complementary coffees, tea, juices, granola bars, fruit & cookies. I was a very nice touch as with having a group of 9, waiting for everybody to assemble in reception could take 10-15mins, so in that time you could sit around reception and have a coffee & maybe a cookie while you wait. On a side note, one of our group mentioned to the receptionist how nice the cookies were one morning, and upon arriving back to the room that evening there was a big plate of cookies waiting for her on the lobby table and milk in the fridge. A very nice touch again by the girls in reception.

LOCATION; Location is ok, not brilliant but not bad either. With the shuttle bus it becomes much less of a factor. There is a McDonalds, pizzeria & convenience store just across the street. There is a large retail park just down the road with a great applebees (they vary a lot in my experience, this one was very good) a TJ Maxx, Best Buy, Target etc. Just beyond that there is a T line station.

MISC; Free Wifi, free usage computer & printer in its own room (great for booking things & printing the tickets, this is unheard of in Europe you pay for using the computer in 5/10 minute blocks and there is never a printer), Lots of channels on TV

Overall we were delighted and wouldn't hesitate to book it again or recommend it to anyone.

CONS;

Key cards for the doors constantly stopped working in all our rooms. Quick visit to reception rectifies this.

We were woken early some mornings by a guy getting out of a dumpster in the carpark adjacent. Very sad but sleeping rough seems to be very common all over Boston.

Elevators very very slow.

One member of reception was below the benchmark of all the rest but the rest were so good they made up for her.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank sqsc
GMroundhouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear sqsc,

Thank you for the five stars! The staff and I truly enjoyed having you staff with us and making our jobs more fun.

Jennifer, our Front Office Manager, dropped you off at the bowling alley and I agree that was very nice of her to do going above the call of duty. But she too enjoyed you all! Pablo, the shuttle driver is an asset to our team as he knows the area and is more than willing to share local favorites with visitors.

We hope you see you again!

GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,367)

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Arrived to a friendly staff who were helpful with tips on what to do while in Boston. Room was large and very clean! Beds were comfortable and sleeping was great! Breakfast was only fair paper plates and cutlery make it appear cheap, replenishing the buffet should have been done more often!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
GMroundhouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Dear Pixie120454;

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review. I am glad you enjoyed the spacious suites and had a good night's sleep.

I appreciate the feedback on the breakfast as we are in the process of making changes.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed December 20, 2013

If you are a rewards member the special floor they have for you is great on the 6th floor, but what I will say is do not decide it is a good idea to have your continental breakfast delivered to your room. My son and I did that and the problem is when the food came it was not good at all.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank Keith M
GMroundhouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear Keith M,

You are a valued member of the Best Western Rewards program and I am glad you were able to enjoy the upgrade to the 6th floor. I see that you have stayed here before and I am glad you chose to come again.

I do apologize that you did not enjoy the breakfast delivered to your room. If you would like to contact me directly at rhgm@wnwhospitality.com please do so.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We stayed here so our daughter could visit nearby Northeastern University. I looked at many hotels near the school and they all had parking fees. I was pleasantly surprised to find this hotel w/ free parking, free breakfast and a suite to boot. The parking lot is across the street from the hotel and you have to walk around the corner to get to the front entrance. The parking lot was well lit and we had no issues.
The top floor (6th) is reserved for rewards members. We also got 2 free bottles of water as well. Our room had a small living room w/ microwave, fridge and coffee maker. We had 2 double beds and a decent bathroom. The sink was outside the bathroom which made it convenient for 4 people to get ready in the morning. There aren't that many rooms/floor, maybe 18, so it's not a big hotel. The ice machine seems to be only on the 1st floor which was a pain. Our only complaint about our room was that we were located near the gas station next door. On Saturday night, we heard yelling and cars screeching down the road. It turns out the this gas station is a convenient place to gas up before they speed away to drag race down the streets of Boston. We also occasionally heard street noise from cars, sirens, etc. That's to be expected as we are in a city.
The breakfast was ok, nothing spectacular. They had hot items, waffle makers and the usual breakfast food. They offer "room service" for breakfast for rewards members and I saw an employee filling the orders on a cart.
Didn't use the shuttle service. Neighborhood seems ok. Yes, the bldg is round but the exterior wall in our room was not.
I would stay here again if our daughter decides to go to Northeastern.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank safety_princess
GMroundhouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear safety_princess,

Thank you for the four stars and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. The complimentary parking is a definite asset when visiting the city. You did very well with your math as we have 6 floors with 16 rooms each but the first floor! Not that big of a hotel but rather quaint with it's history!

I wish your daughter well in her future efforts. And indeed if she chooses Northeastern we would love for you to stay with us again!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I had to stay there for a night during a meeting at hynes center in boston. Its around 20min walking distance, very convenient. It was in December, I felt cold and could not see any heater in suite. Room was in first floor which is the same level with the street and curtains was very thin, seems like they dont care the privacy.

Room Tip: go upper floors!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank fdirisaglik

Dear fdirisaglik,

I am so sorry to read that you were unhappy with your stay. Each room is equipped with its personal thermostat located above the kitchenettte area. Please know if you ever have a problem with your room we want you to call the front desk so we may assist you or correct the problem.

I hope you give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations if you are in Boston again!

Reviewed December 11, 2013

This is my first trip to Boston and had chosen this hotel because of its closeness to BCEC convention centre. The hotel staff was good and the best thing was they provided shuttle to the convention centre daily for the conference attendees. The room was clean and the stay was comfortable and easy.
It would have been great if they had more options in Vegetarian things in the breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floors are nice and less noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Manprt
GMroundhouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2013

Dear Manprt:

Thank you for the nice review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and the convenience of the complimentary shuttle. I am working on improving our breakfast selection and appreciate your feedback.

Hope to see you again!

Reviewed December 7, 2013

Free parking and shuttle to area destinations was the reason we selected this hotel, and we were pleasantly surprised by the overall quality when we got there. Parking area is well lit and felt very safe. The rooms were spaciousness and clean, with comfortable bathroom amenities as well. Windows open for fresh air, and when closed block all of the street noises. Booking a room in Boston at this price was amazing... and then having a suite with a mini frig and microwave was a plus! Breakfast room was large and offered decent selection.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
3  Thank Laura S
GMroundhouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Dear Laura S,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a TripAdvisor review and moreso for the 5 stars! I am glad you found the Roundhouse Suites to be an amazing deal.

I, of course, agree; as we have so many amenities with our spacious suites, complimentary shuttle, free wireless internet and complimentary breakfast each day!

We hope to see you soon!