“Good size room not great location”

Best Western Plus Boston Hotel
Ranked #74 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We don't have any complains about the value of the room we booked. However, please note that this is not the safest location....at least it didn't feel that safe. We travelled via rental car so you get complimentary parking behind the hotel. There is a fast food restaurant across the street and very close to highway access. Although we did not utilize the shuttle, this hotel offered a complimentary shuttle to the Prudential Center. It also has a tour bus stopped by in the early am to pick up guests interested in purchasing Boston Tour. We did not use this service so I'm not able to rate it. The complimentary breakfast quality is poor but it offers an option for guest wanting to grab something before heading out. The service was good although we really have a need for any specific concerns/questions.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
gmroundhouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you for staying with us during your trip to Boston, Ma.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Boston Hotel

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stay in Boston several times a year. I have my usual places to stay, and this is not one of them but a friend I was meeting was staying here so ..... the neighborhood is sketchy enough that when I was going to walk less than .5 miles to dinner, the front desk person told me "We recommend you drive." The info. on the website that food is available nearby is false, as the closest is the said distance away and entails mall/chain restaurants (but did have a good meal at Olive Garden). The parking was even more sketchy as it was far out back in the side of a gas station. I was all that comfortable leaving my car there or even walking around the dumpster area to get back to the hotel. The rooms were ok - kind of shabby for what one usually finds in Boston. Breakfast was mobbed and not only had food run out and the staff swearing about not being able to have enough food, but there was no seating for the cold cereal and coffee you could get; we were directed downstairs to some strange storage room with 3 tables. As others have noted, the room was unusually loud from street noise (yes, I am used to Boston), and the front desk staff was not terribly pleasant. While I spent less money than normal, it is unlikely I'd stay here again unless I had to.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank BmxFamily

See you on your next trip to Boston

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We were happy with our stay at the Best Western Round House in Boston. It was a neat looking building (a round hotel?!?!), was clean and comfortable, the staff was very nice and helpful and we appreciated the extensive breakfast (our daughter loved the waffles and I liked the eggs and fresh fruit options). We didn't use the free shuttle but others might, depending on interests. A taxi to the wharf was about $13, so that was reasonable versus driving, getting stressed about traffic and parking. It was good to have the free WiFi, refrigerator and microwave, too, and I appreciated the local magazines/brochures and maps that were in the room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Boston.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I recently stayed at the roundhouse Boston. Sadly it was a mistake. The rooms were clean and tidy nothing wrong with them other then they are a little dated with the decor. The useless front desk staff should all be fired they did not know simple questions about the city. I wanted some information about some restaurants in the city and I was told about chain restaurants. I did inquire about local flavor and was told there is a business office for me to use if I needed more information. When I was out in the city I had a question about the public transportation. I called the hotel and was placed on hold for more than 15 minutes. Umm hello I am a stranger in a new city and I needed help with directions back to the hotel. With no help from that desk I had to figure out how to get back. Why did no one answer my call. When I got back to the hotel late at night I walked I the door and found the desk clerk sitting at the table watching tv. Now I wonder why the phone was not answered. There was a gentleman working in the lobby but he did not speak good English and the girl at the desk was in the phone and I wanted to find a good breakfast place since the hotel breakfast is well just some nuked eggs and tasteless waffles and syrup flavored coffee. I will never come back to this. I expected a little more attention from the staff and actually got better attention from the maid cleaning my room.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Justus111
gmroundhouse, Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 617-989-1000 .

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I always write an honest and fair review in the eyes of the traveller who may follow me. I initially gave this a good review as our room and stay were good, however, the problems started for us on departure and as a result I have withdrawn my previous review.
We always pay as we go so there are no hidden costs and we advised the receptionist on arrival that we would be paying in full by cash. The hotel however, took a holding fee on our card which reduced our available balance. A receptionist called Cat said she would remove the holding straight away. Two days later we checked out of the hotel and paid by cash. We arrived in New York only to find our available balance was way out and we rang our Bank to discover the Roundhouse had taken 2 holding charges as well as the cash payment making 3 payments in all. We rang the hotel and spoke to Marissa who kept putting us on hold and finally a deputy Manager who was so unhelpful and did not understand the situation they had caused for us. Whilst we pay by cash everywhere needs availability on a card for hotels and card hire. The deputy Manager said there was nothing they could do and the holdings would remain on for 10 days.
Like I said at the beginning all of my reviews are honest, frank and fair and if I can protect at least one other traveller from suffering the inconvenience and upset that we have been caused by this hotel, which by the way is not a typical Best Western hotel, then it has been worth it.

1  Thank Angela D
gmroundhouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

I am sorry you experienced problems with your credit card company releasing your credit back to you. Upon check in a credit card is required and will be authorized for the length of your reservation plus an additional $20.00 for incidentals for example movies, phone calls. This is not a charge to your credit card it is only an authorization. Once you are checked out and pay cash your authorization is no longer needed and it will be up to your credit card to release the hold. Your credit card company has the authority to release this hold and allow you to use the card as you choose. We will be happy to assist you with that process but each credit card company has their own policy and this may take up 10 days to release.

I hope you visit us again on your next trip to Boston

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our room was large but slightly dated in decor. It is a little way out, but the hotel offers a free shuttle which is a great perk. The area is a little rundown, but was no problem and the closeness of the hospital was far less of an annoyance with sirens than previous postings suggest, while we were there anyway! Breakfast was rather overcrowded but had a fairly good selection. The a/c in our room was a bit overpowering if on, but too hot if off! We aso found the wifi a bit temperamental but all in all a comfortable stay - I would give a 3 1/2 if there was the option, its a bit better than the average hotel of this type but, for me, doesn't quite make 4 stars!

4  Thank nlm123
gmroundhouse, General Manager at Best Western Plus Boston Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Best Western plus Roundhouse Suites for your recent stay. I also wanted to sincerely Thank you for taking the time to fill out the review.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We decided, at the last minute, to visit the JFK Museum in Boston, and wanted a nice hotel close by without breaking the bank. This Best Western fit the bill perfectly! It was only about 3 miles from the museum, which was nice. The hotel staff was wonderful; the room was nice, roomy and comfortable; and the complimentary breakfast the next morning was yummy and filling! There was plenty of parking, so once we parked the car, we were able to walk to various parks and restaurants. FYI, the hotel was walking distance to "Mike's Diner," which was featured on Guy Fieri's "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives." Unfortunately, the diner was only open for breakfast and lunch, and we were there at dinner time, so we went to another restaurant (which I'll review later). In addition, since I had some work to do on my computer that evening (answer e-mails, etc), I had no trouble with the hotel wireless, and I also noticed that there were plenty of electrical outlets thoughout the room. We were all able to easily plug in our various device chargers! I will definitely stay at this hotel the next time I'm in Boston!

5  Thank Myrmyr971