“Simply Excellent”

Ranked #25 of 83 Hotels in Boston
New York City
“Simply Excellent”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I am generally not a lover of Ritz-Carlton hotels. I stayed at this hotel at the end of October for a weekend firm event. I thought it was great. Unlike most Ritz's, which are dated (in my opinion), this hotel had a modern feel. The rooms were very nice, great bathroom, nice lobby bars, etc. I didn't use the gym but people in our group gave it high marks. I was just pleasantly surprised, and while I normally avoid Ritz hotels, I would stay here in a second if coming to Boston (and the location worked for you). I wouldn't hesitate.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Indonesian first
NY, NY
Reviewed January 15, 2012

I have stayed at the Ritz in Boston numerous times on business. It is an exceptional property with service to match. Their recent renovations to the restaurant/bar and commons area is also a very nice addition.

Service: check in and out could not be more seamless and there is always a friendly person at the front desk... not once have I been disappointed in the service.

Room: fairly large rooms, typical Ritz decor, comfy beds with quite sleep. No complaints.

Location: for business, I am usually taking a taxi from the hotel to my meetings... as a tourist, you could walk to many places from the hotel - albeit it is a bit of a walk. You are right of the Commons, which makes for a nice morning jog.

Amenities: I like the new restaurant/bar... the BEST part is the health club which is expansive and on the property. Really nice facilities.

Overall impression.... this is a great choice in Boston. Why not 5 stars? - - there isn't really a "wow" factor to get it over 4, but I would not hesitate to stay here again (and I will). Good choice for all.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed January 14, 2012

I travel a lot for business and have stayed at this Ritz in Boston quite a few times. The staff is polite and curteous and will also begin to remember their guests which is a nice personalized touch. The rooms are clean, well appointed and quiet. The door man is great! He can direct you anywhere and they also have a driver in the mornings you can try to catch a ride with...it's free and you get to roll in an S55 Mercedes...not a bad way to start your day. The restaurant connected to the hotel was delicious and the bartenders/servers were really nice. There is also a nice open bar in the lobby where you can grab a quick drink and unwind from a long day. There is a gym - Sports Club LA but be careful because it costs $15/day when you use it. The concierge should really mention this to their guests instead of just directing thence to the gym like its free.

The location if the hotel is ok. It's near Emory College/theatre district so not many restaurants nearby. You can always take a nice stroll across beacon hill to find some good food though.

Will definitely continue to stay here.

• Stayed November 2011
Bellingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We stayed over New Year's Eve. We booked the hotel through American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts Program. We received all the amenities provided with this program except the room upgrade. They said that there was no room available, but when looking at room availability online the same day, we could have booked the upgraded room. Some people were being given champagne at check in. They seemed selective in who was getting the champagne. We stayed on the club level. The club room was overlooking the rooftop garden. The food presentations were nice. We didn't know until our 2nd or 3rd visit to the lounge that they had mixed drinks available. We only found out because we overheard someone order one. The club service was adequate and pleasant. They weren't overly attentive. The bed was very comfortable and we slept well. The rooms were quiet. We only had an issue one morning where someone was adjacent to us was slamming the door repeatedly whenever they went in and out (which seemed to be often). The view from the room was terrible. The view was also of the rooftop garden. The food and service in the bar and the restaurant was really not very good. We went down for a late breakfast New Year's Day and were told by the hotel that they were no longer serving breakfast (daily breakfast was included as one of our amenities). We left and went elsewhere to eat. When we returned later and went to the restaurant bar for a drink, we were given the breakfast menu because... they were still serving breakfast (and lunch too)! We were in the hotel bar (not the restaurant bar) for New Year's Eve. I was very surprised by the number of children hanging out in the bar and bar area. The level of service was not at all what I would expect from a 5 star hotel. When we left the room, there was frequently stuff (used room service trays, humidifier, etc) left out in the hallways that would sometimes be there for hours before being collected. The attention to detail just seemed to be lacking a bit for the level of hotel.

Room Tip: Not sure if there are any rooms with a nice view. The roof top garden view was very disappointing.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Overall, the hotel is nice and has a good location. Pricey, but so are most places in Boston. Room was nice, washroom was nice in our room. No complaints at all with the building itself. My issue was with the service at the hotel, especially given that it is supposed to be a 5-star AAA hotel.
There were lots of people working all of time, especially in the check-in/concierge area. And there were always people who were not actively serving a customer. Yet when we arrived to check in, we had to wait for someone to come and help us. Then when we came to the concierge desk, there was no one there. We waited, obviously looking for help when one of the other staff finally came over and attempted to help us. What a joke that was, we were shown a map of Boston and taught that Cambridge was across the river. Wow, that helped. That night, I noticed there was some hair in the bathroom. I cleaned it up before my wife saw it and freaked out. The next day, we again got help from the concierge. This time, helpful with a dinner suggestion and making reservations. Except, it took more than 1/2 hr to get a call to our room saying the suggested restaurant was full. Not sure what took so long. But another suggestion was made and reserved for us. Which was great, except we never got a call back to say it was booked. We had to stop by the desk to hear that it was confirmed. Godd suggestion though - Stoddard's (I reviewed it very positively).
Then I tried to call the spa to make appointments for us. 10 calls, no answer. Now I realize it is run separately from the hotel, but I really don't care. Reality is, I should get an answer. So we went to the spa to make our massagge appointments only to find out that the pool was closed. We were never told that and honestly, would never have booked there if we did know since we all wanted to swim. Note - there is a $15 per day charge to use the gym next door, they do advertise this on the hotel web site.
Finally, we left our bags for the day as we checked out but had a late evening flight. Just getting our bags back was a nuisance as apparently only 1 person has the key and we had to wait for him while I watched 5 other staff chit chat and do nothing in the lobby. Very annoying.
For a place that is supposed to be of a high calibre, I was very displeased. I would give a 0 or 1 rating, but the hotel itself is decent with a good location. But if you go, don't expect 5 star service.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank Zane V
dubai
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Great rooms - very comfortable - great service and food. Gym is fantastic though opening hours are a little tight at the weekends.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
New York
Reviewed December 26, 2011

My family and I stayed a long fall weekend at the Ritz-Carlton, Boston and overall very much enjoyed our stay. As previously noted in reviews, the hotel is more modern than many other Ritz-Carlton's, but we still found it welcoming. We had an executive suite, which had enough room for our family of 5 with a rollaway (3 children under the age of 9). The room was nicely decorated, and the king bed in the bedroom was very comfortable. I was not impressed with the quality of the sofa bed, but at least they gave us a featherbed topper to put on top of it. The bathrooms were outstanding, in particular the full bath in the bedroom, and I really liked having a "coat closet" in the front foyer. The location of the hotel is convenient to most attractions, but it's in a rather random few blocks on the edge of Chinatown and in the middle of a couple of schools, so there are a lot of students and bars. There are not a lot of restaurants in the immediate vicinity (2 block radius) , however that is not a huge consideration for most people.

On the slight downside, the staff was helpful, but not overly so - I've had more helpful staff at other similar hotels, but that alone would not dissuade me from the Ritz-Carlton Boston. For me, the biggest downside (which was still rather minor) is that they really didn't make any accommodations for the kids. Frequently at similar hotels, there will be a small treat waiting for the kids in the room (coloring book or similar), or the housekeepers will do something sweet with their beds (a treat, or tucking in their doll, etc.) - but really they were pretty much overlooked during our stay. I did note in the book in our room that they offered amenities for the kids - bathrobes, etc. - but there were none in our room and it wasn't worth it for me to call housekeeping. Note, this was a minor detail on a very nice stay - it was not that the kids were unwelcome, and everyone was very kind to them.

Overall, we had a great trip, and a lovely stay at the Ritz-Carlton Boston. Would we stay there again? Perhaps - but I'd probably look around for other options, in particular if the kids were with us. For me, it felt best suited to a business traveler, but comfortable nevertheless.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family