“Ritz-Carlton at Boston Common doesn't get any better”

The Ritz-Carlton, Boston
Ranked #31 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed October 23, 2011

The Ritz-Carlton, Boston Common is well situated to maximize a visit to one of the most historic localities in the United States. As one would expect from the name and address, this is a luxury hotel. My wife and I, upon presentation of our credentials, were quickly checked in and following introductions from Tamara at the front desk, accompanied by the friendly Bellman and our luggage to the room. After storing clothes and familiarizing ourselves with the room we partook of the Concierge lounge where Brian, Ryan and Jessica introduced us to the libations and delicious Hors d`oeuvre which were changed almost nightly during the stay. Later, we found the room was elegant and quiet for a relaxing first night as was predicted by Julia, Rooms Executive. Management and staff ensure delivery of every expectation one might have of finer accommodations; from the room, to the food and even beyond the confines of the hotel itself. This traveler made a day trip to New Hampshire but the return trip which could have ended poorly instead became an introduction to Boston’s latest reconfiguration of its street system. Travel maps and GPS systems prove inadequate when subjected to Boston’s one-way streets. Enter Ritz’s Concierge, Adriatic. A cell phone call and it became very apparent Adriatic was totally familiar with the city’s one-way streets. In short order he had us at the front door and in a much happier state of mind. We found that Adriatic and his other half, Andrew were knowledgeable of all the best that Boston has to offer! This is the kind of client-vendor relationship that constantly reinforces this traveler to choose the Ritz-Carlton for hotel accommodations. Mr. Rajesh Khubchaandani, General Manager is to be commended for the courtesies extended by his staff from the doorman to those named in this review.

Room Tip: Alway ask questions, unasked and unanswered questions seldom get the best results. Always ask for t...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MaxRoadster

Reviewed October 3, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Ritz Boston over the weekend. First time to stay here as we have been at Boston Harbor and Four Seasons recently. Decided to try the Ritz as I had heard about the legendary "wow" stories. The hotel is nice and it is immaculate. Its not a stunning hotel by any means and is tucked away. Getting a cab is a 20-30 minute process so we typically walked up the street and found one as the valet folks are very busy. I saw the in room advertising Friday night promising unbelievable service ("let us find you a tailor at 5 am ex...). I decided to send out a pair of pants at 9pm Friday night to be laundered but asked that I get them back by 9 am as I had a meeting with someone in the hotel...Yes, they were only pants I had...poor planning on my part... I was absolutely and cheerfully told it was no problem. At 9 am I didn't have the pants. 9:15 someone knocks asking me if I needed laundry picked up...No, I am missing some pants ...9:30...I called and was basically told by the folks in the laundry area that I should get the pants to them earlier if needed them by 9 am. Then they couldn't find them. Then they said it was not their fault and on and on...it was really frustrating. Got the pants, still damp...late for my meeting. I felt horrible for being "that guy", though, and that I put them out so much. I honestly never try and test this service at hotels..But it was really underwhelming too.. I spoke to someone, didn't get his name, at check out and he apologized and said he would not charge me for the pants and "was there anything else he could do"? It just felt awkward and I felt very bad. I won't plan to stay there again...I guess I thought there would be more and I left unhappy.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank haser59
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed at this hotel on a business trip and it was absolutely lovely. The room I had was HUGE, with a foyer, large bedroom, and spacious bathroom. The hotel bar made for a nice meeting place after work and we often returned there after our dinner arrangements. Staff was extremely courteuous and helpful in arranging transportation. Location was within walking distance to many of the places that we needed to get to so that was also a huge help.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Rstoner
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Stayed for 4 nights, the first 2 nights on floor 12 by myself for business- the room was dirty- walls had something all over them as did the furniture, yuck. The bedding and bed skirt had stains on them. They also did not stock the usual lotions etc. I had to ask for them. On my 3rd and 4th night I moved rooms to the 9th floor, my family (husband and 4 kids) joined me. We had connecting rooms which were spotless and well stocked. The check in service and concierge service was fantastic as was the service in the bar. I liked the location right across from the commons and 2 subway entrances nearby. Both traveling alone for business and with the family this location was great. I would stay here again. Only reason I did not give them 5 stars was the first room I had was well below the standards I expect from the Ritz, I think Ritz I think very clean rooms. But the doorman, valet, check in etc were otherwise very helpful

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank nicole v
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The Ritz Carlton Boston Common made a grave mistake in moving from its former, historic quarters in the city's best location to an average facility void of any personality or detail, located on skid row. While the hotel may have park views from above, once one exits its main doors and turns the corner, he is greeted by a grimy block full of shady individuals frequenting the adult bookstore located directly across the street. My travel companion and I felt incredibly unsafe in trying to navigate the surrounding neighborhood after dark, and were accosted by several beggars in the hotel's immediate vicinity. Furthermore, the rooms are lacking proper soundproofing and insulation, resulting in a very noisy situation. I would definitely recommend staying at one of the other luxury hotels located on Boston Common instead, as they are far superior in ambiance, service, location and safety.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HRH2002
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I was very happy with my stay, comfy beds, good sized room, but the real winner for me was the gym and the main reason for choosing the hotel. The lap pool was just what I was looking for and didn't disappoint. Add in a running tour of the freedom trail & the excellent glass of malbec in the bar was justly deserved!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My family LOVES the Ritz Carlton . . . the service, decor and atmosphere are second to none. My husband, two boys and myself have stayed at the Ritz in several locations across the country and were surprised to find the day before our trip to Boston that the Ritz Boston does not permit children to use the affiliated pool, with the exception of Sundays. The concierge at the Ritz invited us to walk down the block and use the pool at the Hyatt . . . sooo.... we cancelled our reservation at the Ritz and relocated to the Hyatt. We are hoping that if the pool is good enough for the Ritz to recommend our using it, then we'll be happy overall. In truth however, we are all pretty much down in the dumps about not staying at the Ritz. Has always been THE BEST!

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family