“Good Location.”

London, United Kingdom
“Good Location.”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Positive aspects:
-Free breakfast (although there was a small selection) but you could pay to have more.
-Very good location, close to the metro station and bars.
-Friendly staff
-Possibility of leaving luggage in a secure room upon check-in and check-out
-Main room with board games, suggestion board, television

Negative aspects:
-Dishonesty upon arrival (they wanted to charge us more than we had agreed upon and it took a long time to resolve the situation in our favor)
-Bathroom was not the cleanest around (bring flip flops!!!!)
-During the day, if you want to rest, the hostel is pretty noisy because the walls are very thin
-The beds are pretty old (bunk beds) and they creak
-Price not completely worth the value and we actually had a discounted price because we were a big group

All in all, I would recommend this hostel if you are not too picky and just looking to have fun with friends!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Beatrice B
FriendStreetHostel, Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review us Beatrice. I'm glad our staff made you and your group feel right at home, and that you enjoyed our location and other amenities. I'm sorry to hear of the confusion around the total room price, but am glad that our staff were able to sort it out for you. As with most hostels, you are going to get a bit of noise from the bunk beds (even though ours are less than a year old). We maintain our bunk beds very carefully to cut down on this noise, and are happy to offer earplugs to any light sleepers.

If there's anything else we can do to improve your experience, please don't hesitate to let us know!

Bria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Trim, Ireland
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Myself & my best friend recently stayed at the hostel. The hotel we were supposed to stay at didn't work out and as it was close to midnight we could not make a booking online for that particular night. She suggested a hostel. I have never stayed in one before, not do I intend to again, however I loved every minute of my stay there.
Staff was helpful with amenities and directions to places. The room was shared with like 8 other people, which was a first for me, but for the winter weather outside it was lovely and warm in this huge room.
Overall I'd probably recommend the place, as it is nice and possibly would go back if I were stuck for accommodation again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SeekingForExcellence
Thanks for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! I'm so glad we could give you a memorable first hostel experience, and hope to see you again in the future!
Derbyshire
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Boston was our first stop on a girly holiday of a lifetime, oh how much I wish we'd booked a proper hotel to stay in instead though! When we got out of our taxi my first opinion was Friend Street didn't look that friendly, broken bottles all over the road, dirty, smelly derelict buildings. The staff on arrival were friendly enough, when we got to our shared room, my friends under bed storage had a broken door so she put it under a different unoccupied bed and locked it with her own lock. When we got back from our first day exploring we found her lock had been cut off with pliers and all her belongings she'd put in there gone! No apology was given or offer to replace the lock! The second day I noticed strange bites on my hands and on my elbows so went to ask reception if they could suggest what I do, they obviously recognised bed bug bites before I did and ushered me quickly back to my room. We were told we could have to pack up all our things while the room has gassed with god knows what! As we were packing a girl employee came in to give me some bite cream and basically accused us of bringing the bed bugs with us even though we'd only been there one night! I was offered no apology or refund, I just wanted to get out of such a horrible place as soon as possible. Our next stop was New York where after a few days the bites got so much worse that I had to pay $160 to see a doctor and $150 for steroids to get rid of the spots, which then left me with no money for the rest of the trip! As soon as I got home I emailed the Friend Street Hostel just to tell them they have a serious bug problem but was completely ignored! I would advise anyone thinking of going to Boston to steer well clear of this hostel!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
13 Thank Cazamatazz
First off, thank you for taking the time to leave such candid feedback. I'm deeply sorry we could not get back to you sooner, but want to assure you that we take comments such as yours very seriously. We have thoroughly looked into the matter, and I can assure you our building is pest-free.

I hope you are willing to give us a second chance so we can show you what an experience with us should really be like. If there's anything we can do to further assist you, please don't hesitate to contact us directly.

Travelers are raving about these Boston hotels

Orange, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Free Pasta Night was cancelled, although I went back to the hostel without eating dinner. Wifi was down all night. Those are only problems I got during my one-night stay. They ask some guests to rate their hostel in some different aspects when they check out. So I expect they will get better sooner or later.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for the review! I'm sorry we had to cancel Pasta Night during your stay. If there's anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable, we always appreciate the feedback! Our WiFi is running smoothly now, so thank you for letting us know about it!
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I stayed at Friendstreet for 2 nights in december 2012. The staff is very helpfull and it the hostel had a nice travelers vibe. It was clean and basic. The dorm rooms and location made it a bit noisy, in my opinion this is part of the hostel experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Peter W
Hey Peter,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your comments for us! It sounds like your a true backpacker in every sense of the word, and it's nice to know that an expert thinks we're doing things right! If there are any suggestions you have for improving our offerings, please don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Happy Travels!
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Ive been to a couple of hostels around the world and I can say that this hostel is just so-so. Nothing worth of standing ovation. Just plain and simple place to spend the night with. The location is very strategic (near the subway, beer pubs, the stadium and the Bridge). if you are carrying a stroller bag on your trip, better think twice before booking a room as the stairs leading to the reception and the rooms itself is quite narrow and steep.

Room Tip: if you are claustrophobic, you may wanna skip this hostel as the shower cubicle would give you seizu...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to leave such candid feedback. We've been working hard to make our hostel something really special, and I hope you'll get the chance to come back and see that soon. Since your visit, we opened a super chic new cafe, which provides even more space for socializing as well as some added amenities!

Hopefully we'll see you again soon!

Best,
Friend Street Hostel
Buenos Aires, Distrito Federal, Argentina
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is the most uncomfortable hostel I've ever been.
I stayed there in the month of August, in the middle of summer in a city that it is really hot, but in the hostel it was hotter than outside. With no AC, it was impossible to sleep, worst if you are sharing a 10-beds room.
Few space in the room for your things.
You cannot drink alcohol in the entire hostel, you cannot stay in the kitchen after 11PM, it looks like you cannot do anything.
Two good things: 1) Location 2) people that works there (except for the guy that is there at night that is a bit crazy).
If you find a better place... go there, not to this hostel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank EugeniaRP
Hi Eugenia,

Thanks for leaving your honest feedback for us. I'm sorry to hear your stay was anything less than perfectly enjoyable, but I think you will be happy to know that we've made many improvements since your visit, thanks to feedback such as yours. We've added AC units to all of the rooms to help combat the heat. We're also working on getting an alcohol license to overcome our "dry" policy. The kitchen space is open 24-hours to our guests, and the other common areas are open until 1am.

If there's anything else we can do to enhance your next stay (if you're willing to give us a second chance), please let us know!

Thanks,