Friend Street Hostel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Boston
See available hotels
XV Beacon(Boston)
  • Breakfast included
Omni Parker House(Boston)
  • Room Service
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Ive been to a couple of hostels around the world and I can say that this hostel is just so-so. Nothing worth of standing ovation. Just plain and simple place to spend the night with. The location is very strategic (near the subway, beer pubs, the stadium and the Bridge). if you are carrying a stroller bag on your trip, better think twice before booking a room as the stairs leading to the reception and the rooms itself is quite narrow and steep.

Room Tip: if you are claustrophobic, you may wanna skip this hostel as the shower cubicle would give you seizures.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
FriendStreetHostel, Manager at Friend Street Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to leave such candid feedback. We've been working hard to make our hostel something really special, and I hope you'll get the chance to come back and see that soon. Since your visit, we opened a super chic new cafe, which provides even more space for socializing as well as some added amenities!

Hopefully we'll see you again soon!

Best,
Friend Street Hostel

Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is the most uncomfortable hostel I've ever been.
I stayed there in the month of August, in the middle of summer in a city that it is really hot, but in the hostel it was hotter than outside. With no AC, it was impossible to sleep, worst if you are sharing a 10-beds room.
Few space in the room for your things.
You cannot drink alcohol in the entire hostel, you cannot stay in the kitchen after 11PM, it looks like you cannot do anything.
Two good things: 1) Location 2) people that works there (except for the guy that is there at night that is a bit crazy).
If you find a better place... go there, not to this hostel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank EugeniaRP

Hi Eugenia,

Thanks for leaving your honest feedback for us. I'm sorry to hear your stay was anything less than perfectly enjoyable, but I think you will be happy to know that we've made many improvements since your visit, thanks to feedback such as yours. We've added AC units to all of the rooms to help combat the heat. We're also working on getting an alcohol license to overcome our "dry" policy. The kitchen space is open 24-hours to our guests, and the other common areas are open until 1am.

If there's anything else we can do to enhance your next stay (if you're willing to give us a second chance), please let us know!

Thanks,

Reviewed July 18, 2012

So I planned to skip Boston because of the review I'd read on hostel world about this place. But I had a few days spare and thought what are the chances I get bitten.
Boy was I wrong, so wrong that I had to go to mass. general to help with the bites.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
12  Thank Lily_n88

Hi Lily,

Thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback for us. I'm sorry to hear that you had a less than enjoyable experience with us, and hope you will give us the chance to make it up to you. Since your stay, we have replaced all of our furniture, and are proud to say that we are pest-free.

If there's anything I can do to further reconcile your issue, please don't hesitate to reach out directly.

Thanks,

Reviewed July 14, 2012

I've never been to a hostel but the building had character. It was clean and colorful. I felt safe with my key to the room and my cubby at the bottom of the bunk beds. My mom was worried for our laptops but as long as you use a lock for your cubby I don't see how anyone could get to them without an axe. She was also worried that our luggage was too big an clunky for the cubbies; the cubbies are huge so that wasn't a poblem.

Attendents were friendly, attentive, and 24/7. They gave us tips on free meals, directions, and movies etc . . . There was free breakfast but we never ate it; we wanted bagles from Dunkin Doughnuts. We stayed four nights but most people only stayed one or two. Some girls were rude and kept the lights on even when 7 of us were trying to sleep, but this was not the hostel's fault. Hostel policy is lights out at 11pm and they do inforce it (they come and turn the lights out themselves).

Other patrons were down to earth and not the party animals I was imagining (but that might not be the case with your group when you visit). The common area was relaxed. One morning I walked in on a guy doing some crazy yoga moves. The tiny kitchen had a fridge to store our left overs. I was happy they had a Brita. You can get wifi in the common area but not on the third floor sleeping room. There was no a/c and it was a hot week. The fans were a welcome but not everyone in the room agreed (the joys of communal living).

Stairs were steep, showers curtains were a little on the moldy side, and the potties are communal, but if you think about the price of the stay you don't really mind all that much. The sinks did clog up one night but they were immediately fixed. Bunk beds are first come first serve. Matresses are thin (like the ones you'd get at camp) but the sheets and blankets are freshly washed. Laundry was a little steep but the attendent was fair and told us of a cheaper place to take our suitcase of dirty things.

The location of the hostel was perfect. 2 blocks away from a train station, a 10 min walk to Quincy market, and a 15 min walk to the Italian district. There were a lot of homeless people (more so than DC and Richmond) in the area (not on Friendly street though) and they are not shy in approching you but they are harmless.

I find nothing wrong with the hostel. It was a good experience and a good deal.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the street are normally quite but the hostel is next to a convention center. One night crowds came pooring out onto the street for an hour coming out of a basketball game.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Boytbab

Wow - what an awesome review! Thanks for being so detailed and honest! I'm so glad you enjoyed our humble hostel's offerings. We really do try to make it a home for everyone, and I'm glad you caught that vibe.

Since your visit, we've made a ton of improvements to our place. We've gotten new beds, lockers, WiFi throughout the building, AC units for all the rooms, a cafe/lounge area, and much more! Hopefully you'll get the chance to come by and see all of the great improvements for yourself.

Hope to see you soon!

Best,

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Its simple, nothing special, dorms were ok, breakfast was ok.
Not much a hostel to socialize with another travelers. The bars around the hostel get pretty loud at night, what is not a problem for me but can be for some other people.
The location is excellent and I felt safe at all times.

Would stay again, even though its a bit overpriced, but thats Boston, can't get anything much better at this price.

Cheers

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank andrebrazil15

Hi Andre,

Thanks for leaving a review for us! We're always thankful for honest feedback like yours, and hope to see you again on your next visit to Boston!

Thanks Again,