“As average as you get”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Judging by the crowd at meal times, this place is much less popular than Phở Pasteur (one block away). I had pretty lousy phở at Pasteur, so didn't try it here. What we had was also mediocre - edible but neither authentic (eg. the claypot rice 'cơm tay cầm') nor too flavorful (eg. roasted quail.) For better Vietnamese food in America, you have to go West (CA) or South (TX). But let's not complain, the phở here must be better than in Detroit!? Friendly sẻvice, though.

There are newer reviews for Pho Hoa Restaurant

Reviewed June 24, 2012

I've been to Pho Hoa restaurant several times over the years. The quality has declined a little bit each time, but the food has always been pretty good.

Tonight's meal, however, was crap. My daughter and I each ordered our usual curried chicken with vegetables and lemon grass. The meal was not only a bit bland, but it was also swimming in oil. We tried absorbing the oil with the rice, but after a few bites, it was simply too disgusting to eat.

I showed my meal to one waiter who hand waived some story about curry needing to have oil. Then I called the head waitress who reluctantly admitted that there was a bit too much oil this time and offered to take a whopping 10% off the bill. I explained that the meal was inedible not slightly defective, and we negotiated until she finally agreed to take 50% off (but not before she swiped away my plate to show the kitchen). In fact, she should have taken off 100%, because we left the majority of our food and departed, only to be stricken by an upset stomach a few minutes later.

Lousy food and some unnecessary haggles with the serving staff. We're sorry to say that Pho Hoa has lost us as customers. There are many other restaurants in Chinatown that deserve a shot at our business.

6  Thank Cherry_Wonderdog
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Not that I dislike any other aspect of this restaurant. I really like the staff, and honestly more importantly to me - the Pho Ga that I get here at least once as takeout each time I am in Boston on business is excellent. If you want good Chicken Pho, packed perfectly to take back to the hotel - I assure you this is a great spot.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

Cruising Chinatown for a new TOFU experience. Saw they have a Curry-TOFU#29. Tried it but didn't like it. Was tofu and peppers/celery/onions covered with a sweet curry creme sauce. Way too sweet. Thought I was eating dessert. Noodle were cold and xtra charge.

I would go back though to try something else because I like TOFU. May have another dish I like. Price is OK-$795 plus$1 for noodles.- tea is Free

Reviewed December 7, 2011

If you love Vietnamese food or have never tried it you should go to Pho Hoa. The food is the closest we have had to eating in Vietnam. The ingredients are fresh, fragrant and really good.

We had shrimp spring rolls, Banh Xeo, which is a Vietnamese pancake (also found in parts of China as street food/crepes), and Com Tay Cam, which is rice in a clay pot with vegies and your choice of meat. This gives the rice a nutty crisp baked flavor. There were a lot of vegies and meat and the sauce has fresh ginger and garlic.

We did not order the Pho, but we saw it at a number of other people's tables and it looked wonderful and smelled heavenly. The menu is large but not overwhelming and very varied. They have a good selection of vegie options.

They serve wine and beer and the prices were inexpensive. Pho Hoa is not elegant dining but it is comfortable dining with good food.