“Very over priced”

Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill
Ranked #65 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Average hotel and very overpriced. Was previously a Holiday Inn and although the staff and services was excellent that is about it. A good location but price of room & food way over the top. Plenty of places to eat & supermarkets close by which offer great food & value.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J0seyWhales
Write a ReviewReviews (2,248)

Reviewed November 9, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
TALLAHASSEE
Reviewed November 9, 2013

The first welcome, from the doorman (Anthony) was so warm that it set the whole tone of
my visit. I was there for a medical procedure and the whole hotel staff could not
have been more helpful. The medical rate was especially needed and
appreciated.. If there could be
a discount for a week or longer stay,, it would be really appreciated by your
medical guests. Also, some easy dishes on the menu, (like good old Mom's
chicken soup) would be great for recuperation and room service.!
appreciated.
Bar ambiance and noise terrible and not at all cozy or welcoming for a lobby.
Lobby furnishings rather cold, unwelcoming, like the bar was the main focus.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Nice place, great location. Rooms semi-updated, bathrooms need to be better maintained, cleaned, re-grouted. TV small and reception not great. Bed extremely comfortable. Overall a good value for the price.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Hotel seemed well appointed enough. Was upgraded for free to a junior suite -- not a bad thing to receive, but the person at the front desk couldn't articulate to me why (fridge, microwave, coffee machine, etc.) it was better. Quick and easy check in. The suite's view was of a parking lot...not particularly scenic..but I was pleased that a Whole Foods was right around the corner. Where it fell apart was in the details, the small touches, and the service. There was no bath mat, so I had to use a hand towel. The electrical outlet, which the hotel-provided hair dryer (which I called ahead to confirm they had) was supposed to plug into, did not work; the "test" button had fallen off the outlet, and the "reset" button was immobile. And, I couldn't move the hair dryer unit, which was anchored to the wall, to use it from a different outlet. A pain for a woman on business who works out every day not to have a way to dry her hair. I was pleased to see that there was a coffee maker in the room, but when I tried to brew a cup, the coffee maker mysteriously shut off in the middle of it, and I couldn't turn it back on. I told the front desk about the outlet and the coffee maker a number of times, but no real resolution/solution was offered other than "I'll send someone up." The housekeeping staff did not replace the coffee maker, which would have been the simpler of the 2 things to fix. Rather, they drained the water that remained in the well of the coffee maker and replaced one of the styrofoam cups. (Funnily enough, they didn't replace a bottle of water, and they didn't straighten the room). The worst of it was that I had run out of business cards and asked a printing company to send new business cards to the hotel. I needed them for a conference, at which I was going to be doing a lot of networking. Late at night, when I got in from a long day at the conference, I did see the message light on the phone blink, but the message button on the phone did not work, and there was no button on the phone to call the front desk directly, and there were no directions for how to reach anyone there (dial "0" for an emergency), so I decided to check with the front desk in the morning. The next day, the message button was no longer blinking, and I stopped by the front desk twice - in the morning and early afternoon - and no mention of my package. I called the front desk when I was already on my way home, waited a long time to get a person on the phone, and when I did, the person told me that they had nothing on their package list for me and she needed to put me on hold, so she could check in the package room where there were "hundreds" of packages. I waited, and after 7 minutes decided to hang up and try later. I called later, and again, it took me a long time to get someone on the phone -- a different person told me that the package was indeed received and that they sent me a message (clearly not received) about it. I asked her to have the package sent to me, and she asked me if I would like to put it on the same credit card, which I used to pay for the room! Needless to say, I was aghast. I told her that the hotel should pick up the cost, but of course, she wasn't authorized to make that call, so she told me to speak with the manager (strange that there wasn't one on during that shift?) who was not going to be in until the following morning.

I'm sorry, folks. Good location and nice enough room, but this stay wasn't even close to being a good experience, and just based on this one, aggravating time, I could not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business