“big misses on the (seemingly) small details and service”

Wyndham Boston Beacon Hill
Ranked #64 of 85 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Hotel seemed well appointed enough. Was upgraded for free to a junior suite -- not a bad thing to receive, but the person at the front desk couldn't articulate to me why (fridge, microwave, coffee machine, etc.) it was better. Quick and easy check in. The suite's view was of a parking lot...not particularly scenic..but I was pleased that a Whole Foods was right around the corner. Where it fell apart was in the details, the small touches, and the service. There was no bath mat, so I had to use a hand towel. The electrical outlet, which the hotel-provided hair dryer (which I called ahead to confirm they had) was supposed to plug into, did not work; the "test" button had fallen off the outlet, and the "reset" button was immobile. And, I couldn't move the hair dryer unit, which was anchored to the wall, to use it from a different outlet. A pain for a woman on business who works out every day not to have a way to dry her hair. I was pleased to see that there was a coffee maker in the room, but when I tried to brew a cup, the coffee maker mysteriously shut off in the middle of it, and I couldn't turn it back on. I told the front desk about the outlet and the coffee maker a number of times, but no real resolution/solution was offered other than "I'll send someone up." The housekeeping staff did not replace the coffee maker, which would have been the simpler of the 2 things to fix. Rather, they drained the water that remained in the well of the coffee maker and replaced one of the styrofoam cups. (Funnily enough, they didn't replace a bottle of water, and they didn't straighten the room). The worst of it was that I had run out of business cards and asked a printing company to send new business cards to the hotel. I needed them for a conference, at which I was going to be doing a lot of networking. Late at night, when I got in from a long day at the conference, I did see the message light on the phone blink, but the message button on the phone did not work, and there was no button on the phone to call the front desk directly, and there were no directions for how to reach anyone there (dial "0" for an emergency), so I decided to check with the front desk in the morning. The next day, the message button was no longer blinking, and I stopped by the front desk twice - in the morning and early afternoon - and no mention of my package. I called the front desk when I was already on my way home, waited a long time to get a person on the phone, and when I did, the person told me that they had nothing on their package list for me and she needed to put me on hold, so she could check in the package room where there were "hundreds" of packages. I waited, and after 7 minutes decided to hang up and try later. I called later, and again, it took me a long time to get someone on the phone -- a different person told me that the package was indeed received and that they sent me a message (clearly not received) about it. I asked her to have the package sent to me, and she asked me if I would like to put it on the same credit card, which I used to pay for the room! Needless to say, I was aghast. I told her that the hotel should pick up the cost, but of course, she wasn't authorized to make that call, so she told me to speak with the manager (strange that there wasn't one on during that shift?) who was not going to be in until the following morning.

I'm sorry, folks. Good location and nice enough room, but this stay wasn't even close to being a good experience, and just based on this one, aggravating time, I could not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,282)

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The hotel was not that clean. The toliet was wobbly and the beds were very uncomfortable. For the price I expected more.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband had an early doctors appointment in Boston so we decided to book a hotel close to Mass Eye and Ear and Quincy Market. Location was great! Walking distance to Beacon Hill area where we found a great local place to eat. We had taken our car into Boston so we also picked the Wyndham because it had parking, $42 from check in until 2pm the next day. The room was very nice, with a view of the Charles River. The bed was incredible, we both need somewhat of a firm mattress and was very pleased with it. My only criticism would be that it was very warm in our room and there wasn't anyway of cooling it down, no thermostat or fan, or way to open a window. Also because we were so close to Mass General I was awakened by ambulances in the middle of the night, but I don't blame the hotel for that, I don't know how you could block out that sound. The showers were great and check out wasn't until 12:00. We walked about 10 minutes to get to Quincy Market for lunch and shopping to end our trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business