“Early Dinner”

Mija Cantina & Tequila Bar
Ranked #635 of 3,202 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
“Early Dinner”
Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I decided to stop in for an early dinner here after a long day walking around the city. Mija is a reasonably priced Mexican American mix of bar food and specialty items. The menu selection was not great, but the items are simple and familiar so it is not hard to find something we could enjoy. The Nachos were amazing. I am a big eater and enjoy a nice plate of nachos and it is safe to say they were some of the best nachos I ever had mostly because the sour cream was drizzled over the entire plate rather than the usual glob in the middle. We both ordered burgers, my wife the Plain and Simple and me the Bacon Cheeseburger. It was a nice surprise to find out these were double burgers when the arrived at the table and between the tender juicy burger and the light and sturdy bun the burgers were delicious. The only down fall being that my bacon cheeseburger was in fact the same burger my wife ordered. Needless to say the only reason this gets a 4 star review instead of 5 was the menu selection and the mix up with food which could have been just a fluke. All in all good experience and would definitely return to try other options from the menu.

Quispamsis
“Visiting Boston”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Nice atmosphere, delicious guacamole and pineapple margaritas. Tacos were okay. Would be a great spot for drinks, apps and for people watching around Faneuil Hall area.

• Visited August 2014
Toronto
“Food ok, service not great...”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Our party of eight (4 kids, 4 adults) ate dinner here in July. Our hotel was next to Quincy market, so this restaurant was convenient. The restaurant had a nice atmosphere and wasn't busy as it was a Monday night. Despite this, the service was super slow, and I don't really understand why. Our server was nice enough but not overly friendly. My friend attempted to order a salad with manchego Cheese, only to be told they were out of the cheese. Then we were told the tacos are their specialty, awesome! I zeroed in on the fish tacos, only to be told they were out. And they were out of two other kinds as well. I do have to say the taco prices are reasonable, about $4 each, so it allows you to try different kinds...if they have it. When the food finally arrived, it was tasty, but nothing special. Took the kids to the bathrooms, and they were atrocious. Was tempted to wait to use the bathroom back at the hotel. If you are looking for Mexican in Quincy market this place will do the trick but I am sure there is better Mexican to be had in Boston.

• Visited July 2014
“Loved the food and the outdoor seating...service, not so much”
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

We visited on a Sunday night and it was outdoor seating was great for the lovely weather. We were seated promptly upon arrival but then the service suffered from there. It took awhile for the waitress to stop by our table and we felt like we kept having to prompt her on what she should do next (examples were to take our order and provide us with refills). I found the food to be really good and well prepared. The wait staff was quick to clean up the dishes - although in our case it was a bit too quick because they took a plate that we were still eating off of and did not even give us the chance to stop them. Since the food was so good, I would be willing to give this place another try just not until I see some reviews that show that the service is improving.

Visited August 2014
Monterey, California
“Meh”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Just went here for dinner and drinks with a friend. We went on a Wednesday night around 7:30. We get there and the restaurant is not crowded at all and we are told there is a wait unless we grab a seat at the bar. After we ended up ordering, the service was incredibly slow (again, nit sure why since the place was half empty). We both ordered taco salads, which were average. The drinks were good. We tried the red sangria and horchata which had vodka in it and was yum. I wasn't impressed overall and wouldn't recommend it unless going for drinks.

• Visited July 2014