“Disappointing for Mexican Food Lovers”

Mija Cantina & Tequila Bar
Ranked #822 of 3,306 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We visited based on the 'authentic Mexican food' and 'largest selection of tequila in Boston'.

The food was average, nothing special. The guacamole was the best dish we had and there wasn't enough of it.

The restaurant was quiet when we dined and yet the service was still incredibly slow, not getting our drinks until the food had been served.

Needs some improvement.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

My partner and I were visiting Boston as part of a tour group. We had some free time in the Quincy market area, and we stopped at Mija on a hot summer day for lunch. We were quickly shown to an outdoor table. The waitress brought us menus, and took our drinks orders. She brought us our fruit juice and some water, and then also took our food orders.

There was a long wait for the food to be served - over 30 mins, perhaps close to 40 mins. The restaurant didn't look full, so I hate to imagine how much longer the wait would be if it was full! The waitress did come round and apologize for the wait at one point, and told us we would be served soon. I would say if you're in a hurry and need to eat quickly, this probably isn't the restaurant for you.

If you aren't in a hurry and don't mind waiting, the food is delicious. We both ordered tacos. I had a fish taco, and one with pulled pork. My partner had two different fish tacos. And we also ordered a side of skinny fries to share. We had to ask the waitress for some sauce for the fries, although the menu said they were supposed to come with ketchup and aioli, this had somehow been left off the order. By that point I was happy to just have ketchup as I was very hungry. The fries were delicious: crisp and moreish. The tacos were fresh and very tasty, with a good balance in terms of texture and flavours. Everything was well seasoned. It was an excellent meal. And also, it was pretty affordable.

I would be happy to eat at this restaurant again, but not if I was in a hurry! I would also recommend it to friends, with the caveat that service could perhaps be faster, and more attention could be paid to details.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

The food is very good and the price is right for such a busy, tourist area as Quincy Market. Sitting outside and people watching was great. We both enjoyed our margaritas.

Unfortunately the service is pretty slow. It took a long time for a hostess to be able to break away from her conversation with other staff at the other end of the restaurant to seat us. Ditto for getting menus. Once the waitress got to us, she was fine and fairly attentive. Management needs to take a look at the wait-staff and see that they would rather be socializing than working.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

I went here for lunch with coworkers on a nice sunny day when the whole restaurant is open to Fanueil Hall. Very cool. Our food was delicious (good selection of tacos) and the drink menu was awesome. I'm sure this is a fantastic spot for night time! Yum, yum and YUM!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

While in Boston we stumbled upon this wonderful Tequila Bar! In one word.....WOW!! We had been out walking all day and just wanted to sit and have a drink with some chips and salsa, and this was WONDERFUL! My friend and I sat at the bar (the bartender was so nice) and he made for us one of the BEST margaritas I've ever had...the "Raffa" Margarita. It was a combination of a regular margarita with sangria. 2 die 4! The chips and trio of dips were excellent! If I go back to Boston, I WILL go here for a drink!