“It's all worth it for the jalapeño blood orange”
Review of Temazcal Cantina

Temazcal Cantina
Reserve with OpenTable
Temazcal Cantina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #296 of 3,206 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Seaport District / South Boston Waterfront
Boston, Massachusetts
“It's all worth it for the jalapeño blood orange”
Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

There's only one thing that brings me back - the jalapeño blood orange margarita. It't to die for. To be honest i don't remember the food - view awesome - most staff pretty snooty except male bartender who made my drink. So stick with the bar and that wonderful drink that pleasantly burns all the way down. Bartender even told me how i could spice up my own drinks.

New York
“I can't remember having felt so unwelcome in a restaurant.”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

It takes a lot for me to suggest leaving a restaurant chosen by my dining companion, but we ended up agreeing to depart Temazcal before we ate (so obviously this is not a review of the food). The restaurant does not take reservations at this time, a bad sign that should have tipped us off that client service is not their strength. We arrived at 5:45 on a weeknight expecting to beat the crowd. The hostess asked whether our entire party of 2 had arrived, which we had, and she said there'd be a 20-minute wait. We put in our name. A gentleman then walked in and asked how long the wait was. The hostess asked if his entire party (also of 2, as it turned out) had arrived, but his companion was still on her way. Nevertheless, she seated him. We were surprised and, again, probably should have left, but we thought there must have been a reason that we just didn't know about, so we decided to wait at the bar. We found seats easily enough. The dining room was only about 1/4 full, so we could only speculate at the 20-minute wait. The noise level in the room was such that we had to yell to hear one another, which was surprising because most of the few diners (including the gentleman waiting for his companion) were sitting quietly and the bar wasn't packed. After a bit more than 15 minutes of trying to catch the bartender's eye, we belatedly took the collective hint and decided to go elsewhere. The space itself and the view are beautiful, and the servers are all dolled-up and hip looking, but my conclusion is that the restaurant's focus is on atmosphere and appearance rather than service. I cannot speak to the food (or drinks) of course, but if you value the entire dining experience, this doesn't seem like the place to choose.

1 Thank Heather086
Boston, Massachusetts
“great outdoor patio w waterfront dining”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

There are/were quite a few new waterfront restaurants on my list but I think Temazcal has been on it the longest. I’m not sure what took me so long – could have been the pricey apps, or maybe it’s the trouble I have pronouncing it (Tezmacal? no… Temzacal? no!) – but I finally made it to the upscale Mexican eatery, TEMAZCAL.

Chips served with 3 dips of salsa verde, refried beans, and salsa. The chips were crunchy and not overly salted or greasy. The red salsa had a small kick to it while the salsa verde added a sweet component.

Menu: This is the first time I’ve ever seen iPads for menus. Waste of money? Probably. Super cool futuristic addition to a modern restaurant? Yes, yes it is. However it’s tough to keep up to date with current technology; while I was impressed we also made comments about how the menus were the 1st generation iPads and were “heavy”, “thick”, and “out dated”. Still, I thought it was pretty neat, especially b/c they showed you photos of each menu item.
Also a plus, I already knew how to navigate the menu as it reflects the same layout as the website: Antojitos (apps), Ensaladas y Sopas, Entradas, Tequilas, Vinos, Cocteles (cocktails), Cerveza, Spirits.

Food/Presentation:
Guacamole Langosta: lobster, avocado, tomato, onion, cilantro, serrano chilies
I was debating if this was worth the $18 and was curious if it would even feed 5 people. It was definitely worth it and it more than fed the 5 of us as an appetizer. The guacamole was tossed with small chunks of lobster and topped with chopped tomatoes and larger pieces of lobster. How can this not be a winner?

Dorado Mojo de Ajo: grilled mahi mahi, roasted garlic sauce, chile de arbol, plantain mash
The mahi mahi topped mashed plantains & roasted peppers and was smothered with a potent garlic sauce. The fish was great and the dish was flavorful, but just a drizzle of the sauce would have sufficed. This was my first time trying plantain mash and I really enjoyed it.

Bathroom: Each restroom entrance door is paneled with unfinished wood and labeled with a silver “M” or “W”. The women’s room has 4 stalls and 2 shallow white porcelain square sinks. Half of the walls are lined with small lime green tiles while the half is rough white laid stone. Really pretty!

Service: Our server was great and all of the food came out on time. I just had 1 small issue with a bar tender… I ordered the beautiful strawberry/watermelon Moijto I had been eyeing on the iPad and was confused when a regular plain Mojito came my way. I asked the bar tender why mine wasn’t pretty & pink and apparently the fancy Mojito has a specific name (Sueno Rojo). While this is technically my mistake he made no attempt to remedy the situation, essentially told me with his inattentive demeanor that I was out of luck, and went about his business completely ignoring my disappointment. Luckily I spoke with another (better) bar tender that easily remixed the drink to my liking. Now was that so hard?

OVERALL: Similar to other new hot spots on the Seaport/Northern Ave strip, Temazcal has incredible patio seating overlooking Boston Harbor. We had the perfect table for the evening, outside on the boardwalk watching the planes fly in and boats sail by. The menu is more authentic Mexican than Tex-Mex and is essentially all in Spanish (thank god for the English descriptions). The appetizers are a bit unreasonably priced – 2 tacos will cost you $13-$16 and 1 quesadilla is $14, however the America Style Quesadillas come 4 to a plate at the same price. The entrees were more standard running $18-$32 with decent size portions. Overall the atmosphere is perfect for the summer; with the large floor to ceiling windows open to the ocean you feel like your dining outside no matter where your table is located.

The Perfect Bite: Chip with guacamole and lobster meat!

For more photos & descriptions of what everyone in my party ate, visit my blog or Facebook Page: www.ThePerfectBiteBoston.com

Metro Boston
“Lively dinner scene on waterfront”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Beautiful Thursday night in July around 7:45 pm, told 1 1/2 - 2 hour wait for table for 2. Got a drink easily at very crowded bar and stood comfortably beyond the rather noisy bar and high-top crowds, outside near their single row of harborside tables. It was comfortable hanging there, with boats and passersby by to enjoy watching. Table was ready in about an hour. Were lucky enough to have one of the patio tables. Server was super busy, but efficient. He made a spot-on recommendation regarding the differences b/w two margheritas they offer. I had the Primo while standing and loved it, but $15. Wondered about their house version for $11 for my 2nd one. He told me I would find the taste stronger. I did it anyway, and he was right. It tasted harsh, compared to the other. He surprised me by bringing some agave and juice for me to add to make it mellower and that made the drink much nicer for me to enjoy. Appreciated his candor and thoughtfulness. Chips and salsa/dip tray (complimentary) are really good. Better than any I've had elsewhere. Ipad menu is gimicky, but the photos actually helped us make a good decision about our meals. Hubbie had flank steak and I had chicken quesadillas. Both were very good. The vat of guacamole we ordered as app was totally enjoyable, and almost as good as the guacamole I make at home ( I happen to like fresh jalapenos in it). We brought home leftovers. Would recommend to anyone who likes an "in" restaurant, and doesn't mind a lot of ambient noise. Sitting on the patio helped with the noise, but even so, that bar crowd was LIVELY. I like the urban chic decor and ambience, but give it a 4/5 b/c of the cacophony. Fun on a nice, summer night for a couple or small group.

“Lucky last-minute find”
Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

We had to find a place to eat while waiting to board a harbor cruise. Popped in.. wait was 40 minutes but the food and margaritas were top-notch.. Trendy ordering from an iPad was cool. Highly recommend!