“Symphony Hall”

229 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“Symphony Hall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

A beautiful place to see some great classical music

Visited June 2011

Northampton, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Holiday Pops is a must!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

I attended the Holiday Pops concert for the first time. I heard it was great - and it did not disappoint! I recommend it to all music lovers...it is a must-see show.

Visited December 2011
Minnesota
596 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,413 helpful votes
“Two for the price of one: a concert hall and museum under the same roof.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

I visited Boston Symphony Hall with a friend who lives in the area on a Saturday night in November. I had heard for many years about its famed acoustics and had been anxiously anticipating a visit here for quite some time. I had previously purchased tickets and a boxed dinner on-line and showed up about an hour before the show when the doors open. Our boxed dinner was waiting for us on the first floor and was quite good (and convenient); I would recommend this option for people in a bit of a rush.

I’m not an expert in acoustics but the show (Berlioz/Mozart followed by Carter/Bartok) was performed well and the effect of the hall was noticeable even to my amateur ears, rivaled by perhaps only the Concertgebouw but even then I think it’s a toss-up.

Walking around the hall before the performance and at intermission was almost as enjoyable as the show: there are innumerable pictures, old instruments, and sign-boards that turn the place into an informative museum (in a good way). I also noticed a posting of tours of the venue at various times during the week but did not get a chance to take one.

In summary, you have a concert hall with the acoustics on par with the Concertgebouw, an historical legacy similar to Carnegie Hall, and with superb customer service to make the whole experience as hassle-free as possible.

I have a new favorite concert hall in the United States.

Visited November 2011