“Cannoli!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Neighborhood: North End
United States
“Cannoli!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

All I can say is awesome cannoli's! Have been a few times and Love it! Though I've passed it many times working in Boston, I never stopped in until I watched Bizarre Foods America on TV and Andrew Zimmerman said Maria's had his favorite cannoli's. I LOVE that it isn't a tourist trap like Mikes and it is DELICIOUS!

Visited February 2013

MN
“Love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have only lived in Boston a few months, but this is my favorite place for cannolis and other desserts.

Maria is edgy and spunky, just what you would expect of an Italian in Boston. Don't be slow, just order and be to the point, that's the East coast way. There is rarely a line at this place, which is nice.

I love going on a Sunday and listening to the locals talk and sometimes talking to them if they seem friendly. There are some real characters in here who you can tell have lived in the North End their whole lives.

The best thing here in my opinion is the sfogliatelle. Now that I told you all that they will probably be sold out every time I go in. The cannolis are also better here than Mike's and Modern. They aren't overwhelmingly huge like at Mike's. They are easier to eat and they fill them on the spot which means the shells are crispy still.

At Christmas, I liked picking up some of Maria's homemade panettone. It was really good to use for making french toast for breakfast.

Try Maria's, it may be your new favorite!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank am5
“Best Cannoli!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

During my short stay in Boston, I tried cannoli from three different places: Maria's, Bova's and Mike's Pastries, and I have to say, Maria's is the best! The one at Mike's, the filling is too airy for me, though they do have a lot of flavours to choose from if variety is what you want. The one from Bova's was disappointing, it was pre-filled and it stored in the chilled display case (fridge), I had it right there and the crust was already soggy. At Maria's, they fill it when you order, it only comes in a couple of flavours. I had the original cannoli, the crust was crunchy and the filling was rich, sweet with a slight citrus/floral flavor (can't really pin point what flavor it is, but it's tasty!). Even better paired with a shot of their espresso !

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BON2travel
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Italian Bakery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We've been coming there for years. Whenever I go to the Haymarket on Saturday to shop, I make sure to stop at Maria's for pastry, bread and pizza. My husband loves the Tiramisu. I always get a fresh filled ricotta cannoli - delicious. So good. The pizza is excellent and we always get a piece no matter what time of day it is. They heat it up and it is really good. The bread is good too.The family that owns it has been there for years and are very nice. One of my favorite places.

• Visited December 2012
Southern California
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Skip the touristy Hanover street and the long lines at Mike's and Modern. Come here instead. These women came here from Italy. They know how to do it RIGHT! I had this place on my list of foodie places to go when I saw Lidia Bastianich go here and interview Maria. I too wanted a picture with Maria but she was not there, but her sister was and I got a picture with her! In my photo, that is my sons eating away but behind them is a popular Boston food tour! I bought just about everything in the store at some point. You can go across the street and eat your treats in the little park with water features or stop here if you are walking the freedom trail like we were. We came here quite a few times as we seemed to be eating every hour. Maria's is located in between the heart of the north end by the church and the Boston Market area. I would suggest trying things you don't normally try or have been exposed to. I went in and tried the chocolate-handmade with almonds and another day went in and tried the famous pastry with dried fruits inside (forgot the long name of it- stratta - something?) The last one sold after me and a woman practically cried when she found out there weren't anymore. The cannolli's? Oh my god! I want one right now! I was practically giggling when we walked by the hour long lines at Mike's and Modern...if they only knew!

• Visited August 2012