“Great Italian Bakery”

Neighborhood: North End
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Italian Bakery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We've been coming there for years. Whenever I go to the Haymarket on Saturday to shop, I make sure to stop at Maria's for pastry, bread and pizza. My husband loves the Tiramisu. I always get a fresh filled ricotta cannoli - delicious. So good. The pizza is excellent and we always get a piece no matter what time of day it is. They heat it up and it is really good. The bread is good too.The family that owns it has been there for years and are very nice. One of my favorite places.

• Visited December 2012

Southern California
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Skip the touristy Hanover street and the long lines at Mike's and Modern. Come here instead. These women came here from Italy. They know how to do it RIGHT! I had this place on my list of foodie places to go when I saw Lidia Bastianich go here and interview Maria. I too wanted a picture with Maria but she was not there, but her sister was and I got a picture with her! In my photo, that is my sons eating away but behind them is a popular Boston food tour! I bought just about everything in the store at some point. You can go across the street and eat your treats in the little park with water features or stop here if you are walking the freedom trail like we were. We came here quite a few times as we seemed to be eating every hour. Maria's is located in between the heart of the north end by the church and the Boston Market area. I would suggest trying things you don't normally try or have been exposed to. I went in and tried the chocolate-handmade with almonds and another day went in and tried the famous pastry with dried fruits inside (forgot the long name of it- stratta - something?) The last one sold after me and a woman practically cried when she found out there weren't anymore. The cannolli's? Oh my god! I want one right now! I was practically giggling when we walked by the hour long lines at Mike's and Modern...if they only knew!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank mommisalami
Dallas
“Best cannolis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

As a young child I learned how to make cannolis with my Italian mother. Therefore, I am picky. Maria's bakery has the best cannolis I've had outside of my mother's kitchen. They fill them fresh so the shells stay good and crispy. So much better than Mike's

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Kirakat15
new england
“this place is heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

maria's is wonderful. they have some of the best pastries we have ever had anywhere, and I am a cannoli lover. Everything we have tried from the bakery is perfect. try the eclairs!

• Visited April 2012
Memphis
“Yummy Sfogliatella”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

You must try the Sfogliatella. It was so good! This is a very small place. In my opinion, their stuff is as good as Mikes Pastries. (Its more about the experience at Mikes) if you're in a hurry, you will definitely get in and out faster at Maria's. I don't know for a fact but I think this is family owned. If you are using the subway, you will want to get off on Haymarket to reach the North End.