“Overpriced, underwhelmed”

Max Brenner - Boston
Ranked #318 of 3,189 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Between Fairfield and Exeter
Transit: Take the MBTA towards Government Center. Our restaurant is located closest to the Copley Station.
Description: Max Brenner, Chocolate by the Bald Man, the first restaurant entirely devoted to chocolate, provides a "chocolate mood:" a person being surrounded by huge bricks, candles, pralines, colorful toy tins and crates filled with cocoa beans. Each person"s chocolate experience is exclusive to the individual as it brings out different emotions in each and every person. This can be experienced at our retail shop and dining room. In addition to our unique chocolate, we also offer delicious savory foods. Whether it is our famous Brenner Burger or Mac & Cheese, there will be something for everyone in the group!
Highland, Utah
“Overpriced, underwhelmed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2014

My wife and I stopped here for lunch while visiting Boston. I had the Brenner burger and my wife had the Macaroni and cheese. We both felt the food was way overpriced for what it was. The burger was nothing exceptional and around $14. The Mac and cheese was also expensive and underwhelming. We also got a dessert, which turned out to be a chocolate chip cookie with chocolate syrup, with some fruit and some whipped cream. It was pretty good, but again we felt it was overpriced. We would probably not go here again, but if we did, we would skip the food and get only dessert.

• Visited February 2014

• Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Disappointing at best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

went here with a friend for lunch and we were both disappointed on several levels. knew it would be high priced but to pay almost $14 for a mediocre and small dessert bordered on the absurd.
I started with their shaved steak panini for $15 and it was fatty and lacking flavor. The waffle fries it came with were decent but they only put 7 in a small glass dish with the panini.
My friend ordered regular hot coffee and it came lukewarm and she had to send it back. My tea was OK but I had to ask for more hot water repeatedly as the waiter forgot to replenish it and the small glass pot it came in held only a cup.
We opted to split one of the desserts on special - can't remember the name but it had a meringue crust and ice cream in the center and the word praline in its title. Sounded great but wasn't anything special. We had hoped for something gooey and bursting with chocolate flavor but it lacked both of those qualities. Again it was small in size.
Place is extremely loud which would have been OK if the meal had been memorable for anything but its price. sad to say, it wasn't.
We agreed we wouldn't both coming back again.

• Visited February 2014
Manchester, Connecticut
“Yummmmm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Walking in for the first time (it is one of my daughter's favorite places) the smell of chocolate was pure heaven. Our table had everything from salad and sandwiches all the way to the flatbread pizza. The concentrated shot of chocolate was delightful and the chocolate dusted waffle fries were delicious!

Visited January 2014
San Diego, California
“Great wings...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

You have to try them, excellent flavor. Service is good. The sweets look amazing but I was full after wings and a beer. Will have to come back

• Visited January 2014
Bellingham, Washington
“OMG x3”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I was a little hesitant to try this place based on the cost but after walking up and down the street, it's actually very comparable. Plus they serve chocolate and waffles. I got a salad on a corn waffle and a White Russian. Honestly, it's been weeks and I'm still thinking about that incredible salad! The atmosphere was super cool. Dark mood lighting and chocolate as décor. Smelled nice and great service. I may have to fly back to Boston just to eat here again!

• Visited December 2013