“Overpriced and Food Mediocre”
Review of MET Back Bay

MET Back Bay
Reserve with OpenTable
MET Back Bay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #258 of 3,243 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Newbury Street
Transit: Green Line T Stop is Copley
Boston, Massachusetts
“Overpriced and Food Mediocre”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

As is so often the case, MET Back Bay suffers from expansion (original is in Chestnut Hill) and taking advantage of the "tourists" on Newbury Street. This space used to be occupied by Joe's Bar and Grill - and the layout wasn't changed very much. Most notably, the downstairs bar is pretty awful (the restrooms are terrible) and the food choices at the bar are downright poor - and pricey. Upstairs is much nicer. They do have a cozy "library" bar area - but the problem is you can never find a seat because it is so tiny.

I live in the neighborhood and wish this was a better place because I would love to make it a regular place. But overall it's just disappointing for the money you pay.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Veritas57

London, United Kingdom
“Good food”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Went to the Met for breakfast as our hotel recommended it. The choice was great and the ambience was good. Overall good food and quick service. Coffee was a bit cold though.

Visited January 2014
“Always satisfied.”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Stopped in here with our neighbors for a light bite to eat and some drinks. I had the French Onion Soup and we all shared the calamari and hummus apps. All were quite tasty. I'm never disappointed when I come here. I like the downstairs area better than the upstairs, less formal and more of a cozy feel. Service this time was a bit off, but we all have our days.

• Visited April 2013
“Nice Spot”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Went to the Met Back Bay for New Year's Eve. We opted to have dinner as well as attend the party, so we were able to get a discounted rate for the party. We were seated in the bar, which is cozy and was surprisingly quiet. Our waitress was delightful, chatty and attentive.

We ended up getting a number of starters and splitting them amongst the table. Our friend ordered a salad with turkey and boy oh boy, did they mean turkey! It arrived with a whole drumstick! Not exactly what any of us would have expected, but the turkey was cooked really nicely and was delicious. Salad was fresh and a good size.

I ordered the salmon and tuna tartar. Typically, I don't like salmon, but I figured I'd give it a try. Tuna tartar is one of my favorites. I ended up liking the salmon better than the tuna! Salmon was a bit fishy, but I don't think that is anything to do with preparation and freshness, as I find salmon to be fishy in general. The tuna was eh. It wasn't bad, it wasn't good. It didn't have much flavor one way or another. The girl who ordered the salad doesn't like seafood, but she tried some tartar and like it!

The men opted for the chicken wings and a cheese plate. I didn't try the chicken wings, but they looked good. My husband is VERY particular about his wings and he was plowing right through them, as was the other gentleman, so I have to assume they were good! The cheese plate was nice. Fresh with a good variety.

As far as drinks, I was rather surprised by the miniature glass my red wine was served in. I mean, the whole table got hysterical laughing when she put it down. It would have been perfect for serving mousse, but not red wine. It was filled to the brim and running over when it came. I thought it odd that that was their choice of glass for red wine, but upon moving to the bar downstairs, I saw regular wine glasses. I am not sure at all why they were using the other glasses.

The party upstairs was getting crowded, which is why we moved downstairs. It wasn't an area included in the party, but even with tickets for free drinks, we opted to go down there and pay for drinks. The 2 bartenders working were really nice guys. They were right there when we needed a drink and were conversational. We did venture back upstairs at one point to see what drinks they had to offer. I noticed that music was still playing, but the ad for the party indicated a local radio personality was going to be singing. I asked the hostess and she said he would be there later. I don't know that he ever came. I continued to heard loud dance music until we left shortly after 1:00. I was disappointed because that was a good part of the reason I had chosen the Met. There was a wide range of ages there, so I understand the dance music, but the ad made it seem like a different kind of event.

All in all, it was a very nice night. I have to say that the service was spectacular and the food, second to that. Another thing I noted was the restrooms were clean and tidy, which is always a welcome sight!

• Visited December 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Amazing hot chocolate,good brunch”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Sat at the downstairs bar for brunch. The choose-your-own bloody Mary's were a fun take on an old standard and the options lost includes something for all tastes. My fig martini was also a unique treat.
The brunch menu had lots of options but I ended up with a burger. It was cooked exactly as ordered and the fries were great.
The highlight of my meal on a freezing cold day was my adult hot chocolate. There are 4 options and you can even have a flight. I chose the regular hot chocolate with white chocolate bailey's, topped with whipped cream, marshmallows and chocolate shavings. Very rich and a delicious treat.

Been to MET Back Bay? Share your experiences!