“Loved this restaurant”

Island Creek Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Island Creek Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 3,263 Restaurants in Boston
Neighborhood: Fenway / Kenmore
Cross street: Kenmore
Transit: Kenmore
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed a late lunch here with our kids. They had unusually kid friendly options like scrambled eggs for them while my husband an I had seafood. The fish and chips is excellent and big enough to share. The oysters were outstanding as was the service.

There are newer reviews for Island Creek Oyster Bar

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I had heard nothing but good things about Island Creek Oyster Bar and boy those reviews were on point. We went on New Year's Eve for my mother's birthday and they treated us great. They welcomed her and typed happy birthday on the menu (its a small thing but worth noting). Our waitress was very helpful in deciding on what oysters to get, since I've never had oysters before. We ordered a dozen and loved them. As for the food, they offer a menu very similar to other seafood restaurants, but what sets Island Creek apart is the flavor in the food. I ordered the sea bass and it was prepared in a way I had never had before. Their baked beans were spectacular, they were sweet and salty. Everything was better than we could have imagined and we can't wait to go back! Good food, great company, excellent restaurant!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

oysters were top notch, had 2 house varietals from duxbury, 1 from Maine, and 1 west coast. The oyster slider was fabulous although the oyster was more of a delivery for deep fried goodness than any flavor, but was none the less delicious. Oyster shooter was also delicious in a bloody mary style. The mignonette was made with what I guess to be a champagne or prosecco vinegar and was THE BEST mignonette I have ever placed on an oyster. Most red wine and challot mignonettes are to powerful and shadow the subtleties of the terroir of the oysters, but this mignonette was downright perfect. I usually enjoy great oysters first with a touch of lemon, and then with lemon and just a touch of horseradish and this brings me to my first of 2 complaints. The horsy at island creek is salted(overly salted at that), and when added to already delicious briny oysters, it becomes too much salt. I believe the horsy is salted because it is left table-side as a condiment like ketchup at a burger place and perhaps the salt is necessary as a preservative or some kind of food health regulation, but it would have been better if it was served shaved like at Hog Island CA or shaved with ice such as at Eventide ME. Even just plain prepared horseradish, cold, from a supermarket would have been better. Lastly the atmosphere was beautiful and amazing but you pay for it with $48 dollars for a dozen in some cases. If money is no object then this is not a concern, but $36-$48 for oysters that dont have to be transported fore than a few miles from duxbury is exorbitant IMO.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

As first-time tourists to Boston, we had no idea what to expect beyond ICOB's website and online reviews. After spending all day sightseeing we took the train to this restaurant and immediately felt uncomfortable upon arrival. It was packed with upscale, professionally-dressed patrons, and we had come plodding in with souvenir bags and casual walking clothes. It's certainly not the fault of the ICOB staff that we might have been under-dressed, but the hostess staff couldn't have made us feel any less welcome--almost to the point of being invisible. The wait for a table was unbearably long, so we tried to squeeze in at the bar. The only people who made an attempt to get us listed for bar stools and serve us drinks were two bartenders (one of which became our server for the night--Justin R.--and was very knowledgeable and attentive). The oysters were delightful, the clam chowder was delicious, and the $25 lobster roll was anything but memorable. I feel that if you're going to charge $25 for a sandwich in a setting where lobsters are readily available, then it should be spectacular. I had a better one for the same price at a much less pretentious restaurant elsewhere in the city. Our drinks were well-prepared, but when I asked for red wine they looked at me as if I were some kind of rube. There were only about three or four choices of red wine, and while Justin was kind enough to allow me to sample two of them (they weren't for me) I simply couldn't believe that an establishment of this caliber didn't have a better red wine selection. The bartender "educated" me that because they're a seafood restaurant, they didn't offer many red wines because it doesn't go with seafood. Silly me--I thought those standards went out with the 1970's; I believe that you should drink what you like instead of being bound by someone else's arbitrary declarations of what "goes together." We had a good meal, but we paid handsomely for it. And when we left, we concluded that it mostly was not the most pleasant experience in spite of the beautiful setting and the attentive, hardworking staff behind the bar. This setting will appeal to the "be-seen" crowd, but it wasn't for us.

1  Thank bohemian81
Reviewed January 3, 2014

ICOB has the best oysters I have ever eaten. Waitress was very helpful in narrowing down our selection as they had so many options. The house oyster ended up being our favorite. Nice selection of beers and right by Fenway Park. Oyster sliders were awesome. Also recommend lobster roe noodles, lobster and short rib....doesn't get much better. The entire back wall of the restaurant is oyster shells which adds a unique touch. Will be back my next trip to Boston.