“Excellent Expensive Food”

Island Creek Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Island Creek Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 3,319 Restaurants in Boston
Neighborhood: Fenway / Kenmore
Cross street: Kenmore
Transit: Kenmore
Reviewed August 28, 2013

3 of us went there for business. We were not able to get seated and were brought to their basement bar in the hotel. Very nice atmosphere with a fine selection of drinks and obscure microbrews. The wait was longer than the 45 minutes we were told but the drinks were great. Not cheap though.

We ordered 18 oysters and 6 shrimp cocktail. The waiter doubled our order, (not sure if it was accidental, i think not), but we were so hungry we just ate it. The shrimp cocktail were probably some of the best I have ever had. The oysters were fantactic. We were brough only 3 small cups of cocktail sauce, I asked the waiter for a few more and he never brought it, he was just horrible. Luckily we ahd 2 servers and the feamle server accomodated us.

2 of us ordered the scollap entre which was fantastic and 1 had the fish and chips which he could only eat half of. The meals were fantastic.

If it wasn't for the jerk waiter i would have given this place 5 stars.

This place is very loud, not a great date place, not quint, but if you are looking for excellent fresh seafood in a open concept atmosphere this is the place.

Drinks before dinner and dinner, including the doubled shellfish order was over $400, this place is not cheap.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,798)

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Had my birthday dinner at ICOB while on a trip to Boston. After reading the reviews I was so excited to eat here.

The oysters were great! Very fresh, and shucked well. The clam chowder was also delicious. A table close to us ordered the shrimp, and they looked amazing! I had some serious order-envy.

The mains were just okay. I had the Halibut with ricotta gnocchi, corn and mushroom succotash. The halibut was a nice piece of fish, but the restaurant didn't do anything special to take it to the next level. it needed some seasoning or sauce or something.The gnocchi was tasteless, just squishy balls of nothing. My boyfriend had the seafood casserole. Again, the casserole was okay, but nothing spectacular.

For dessert we had the peach upside down cake with corn ice cream. The ice cream was tasty, the cake was very average.

If you are looking for a good raw bar for oysters and shrimp, then I'd suggest ICOB. Other than that, I'd pass.

1  Thank JAK_2780
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We had dinner here a bit late – around 10PM so we don’t know if it’s difficult to get a table here. It is located in Hotel Commonwealth (which looked like a small quaint hotel).

Since we arrived late in the night, the more popular oysters were out of stock. So we ordered 4 different types of oysters recommended and all of them were really good and fresh….I thoroughly enjoyed them! The clam appetizer (I can’t remember the name) was too salty though as it included bacon. They also serve freshly baked bread as part of the meal….I learned from the waitress that the restaurant bakes them daily and different on different days – it was very nice. There are also options to buy half bottle of wine (which helps since it was only 2 of us). We tried the dessert – Peach upside down cake – but it’s just standard.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Island Creek Oyster Bar exceeded its reputation as one of the hottest restaurants in the Beantown! My date loved his oysters and I liked my vegetarian option. The staff was great, young Bostonians with a good knowledge of beer and oysters. We loved our experience and will definitely head back!

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Had a wonderful and fun dinner at Island Creek. We sat at the bar and Shannon the bar tender, helped make the evening so much fun. Visiting from the west coast, we wanted to make sure we had the best New England oysters, Shannaon suggested what to try and we really liked them all, The Island Creek, Row 34, Dodge Cove Pemaquid, Nauset and Moon Shoal Oysters. .Also recommended by Shannon were Mussels and the Oyster sliders, both excellent. We shared the Lobster roll which was plenty after the oysters and starters. The mixed drink offerings were wonderful as well, I enjoyed the Lion's Tail from the Day at the Zoo Menu (?), and a Presseco Bellini with Jasmine Liqueur, and from the mocktails, the Abigail's Delight and Wags #2 were very good. We had Blue Fish pate compliments of the chef, which was very good, and the honey cayenne butter served with warm bread was out of this world! The Oyster bar has a buzz and is a lively place. Worth waiting for a table or a seat at the bar!