“Great restaurant, well worth a visit!”

Island Creek Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Island Creek Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 3,404 Restaurants in Boston
Neighborhood: Fenway / Kenmore
Cross street: Kenmore
Transit: Kenmore
Reviewed April 2, 2013

It is just a great place! Great service with enough attention. Fantastic quality of every dish we tried.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,845)

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Let me state I am a Oyster and Lobster lover. I was so excited to come here to try the Island Creek Oysters which I saw how they cultivate them on TV a few weeks ago, and then reading about the rave reviews of the Lobster Roe Noodles. I could only get a 10 pm reservation on a Saturday night which turned into a blessing because due to certain circumstances we had lunch at about 5pm. We were not terribly hungry since our systems were probably off kilter due to stomach time change. So we were ordering light. To start I found the restaurants ambiance fantastic!! comfortable, warm, clean, and attractive. The music was a little loud but not over bearing like some places I have been. I found the menu a little difficult to read especially the beverages but after the struggle with that I decided to just have a beer like my husband. I let him choose and he selected the Nantucket beer....we never heard of it but it was really good and cold and smooth....! next we ordered some oysters and a few shrimp cocktail, but let me tell you I had already had some oysters earlier in the day so I wasn't craving them but was excited to try the Island Creek so we ordered 4 of them and 2 shirmp cocktail for my hubby. I had 3 Oyster and he had 1. He tried his first and not being the lover as much as I am of Oysters said that it was really good! I was still hesitant that I would not like them but I do have to say they were the best Oysters I have ever had!!!! And his Shrimp we also wonderful. Next we ordered the Lobster Roe Noodles and although they we okay I was not blown away and the dish was not hot it felt as if they might have been sitting out for to long. Not really sure what all the hype is about the Lobster Rod noodles, maybe I was expecting more of the lobster roe taste which is my favorite part of the lobster. Anyway I would go back in a heart beat for more Oysters and Shrimp but I understand I can get some of the Island Creek Oysters in NYC which is only 35 minutes from me can't wait to try them again.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This was our first time at Island Creek on Commonwealth. We've been wanting to try it for quite some time and were glad we made a reservation. It was 9 on Thursday and the place was slammed wall to wall. First thing to know is that the bar/cocktail area up front is a scene and a half; but if you have a table, the dining area toward the back is much roomier.
The service was very good, absolutely no complaints on that score. Cocktails were inventive and fun.
We started with a dozen Island Creek Oysters and half a dozen Cherrystones. Large and plump and tasting of the cold Atlantic, the oysters were outstanding, truly outstanding. They were also shucked perfectly. I've been places where the oysters are mangled or not fully detached but these were impeccable. I'm not a fan of Cherrystones but I'm assured they were equally good.
Things started to go downhill when we ordered food that was cooked. We ordered the Fish and Chips and Fried Clams. When the fish came out in a basket of fries with three large pieces I couldn't wait to dig in. Turns out 'dig in' is exactly what I ended up having to do. The breading was so thick (1/4 inch, no exaggeration) and doughy it was difficult to cut through. It was also soggy. I've had better fish and chips at the 99. The fried clams seemed a little overcooked. We'll go again for oysters but at the price of $145 for two people (including drinks and tip) we'll eat our entree somewhere else.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I recomend the salmon with black rice... very tasty!! The wine list is also something... I had a great Merlot but don't remember the name... maybe you should try they all!! =)

Reviewed March 31, 2013

The restaurant was conveniently located in our hotel, The Hotel Commonwealth. The decor was very metropolitan and modern and we loved the wall of oyster shells. The music was great but most importantly the service was superb and the the food delicious!!! The bread was warm and freshly sliced, the cod sandwich was delicious, the shrimp fresh and tender, the steak delicious and the lobster roll sandwich and homemade potato chips were amazing!!! I love my lobster roll sandwiches and this did not disappoint. If I could figure out a way to have this make the 4 hour trip back back to NJ I would have!!