“Can't wait to return!”

Island Creek Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Island Creek Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 3,263 Restaurants in Boston
Neighborhood: Fenway / Kenmore
Cross street: Kenmore
Transit: Kenmore
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Mondays can be slow nights for many restaurants. And it usually doesn’t help when it’s pouring rain as well.

Not the case for Boston’s Island Creek Oyster Bar, where I’m oh so glad we made a reservation. Walking into this bustling bivalve joint, we’re greeted by not one, but three hostesses. I wonder how many hosts work on a Saturday night?

It’s a beautiful space: bright, airy, and open. My dad and I opt to sit at the oyster bar where flatscreens are broadcasting the Blue Jays/Red Sox game at Fenway Park, just around the corner from the restaurant. And hey, oyster bars are always more fun than tables anyway, right? Except at this bar they don’t actually do any of the shucking in front of you. But chatting with the bartenders is always fun, especially when they’re plenty knowledgeable about the menu: from each individual oyster’s texture to its salinity level. We order a couple dozen of the Island Creeks, Chathams, East Beach Blondes, and Norhern Cross oysters, all washed down with a bottle (or two) of Muscadet.

And while the oysters may be the highlight, the food is hard to beat as well. The Ethel lobster roll is delicious, not scrimping on the lobster meat in the least. Accompanied by a side of kettle chips, I am more than satisfied by my meal. But somehow that doesn’t stop us from ordering donuts for dessert (replacing cupcakes as the new trendy dessert).

All-in-all, Island Creek was a wonderful & memorable experience. If I had more time in Boston, I probably would have visited again for another meal. Needless to say, next time I’m in Beantown I will certainly be back!

1  Thank Rebecca S
There are newer reviews for Island Creek Oyster Bar

Reviewed November 18, 2012

The atmosphere was nice...spacious and contemporary. Bar staff were great and made a fine ice cold Tanqueray Martini. Six oysters at the bar told me we made the right choice. We were seated and after treating ourselves to a dozen mor oysters and some little necks we enjoyed the rest of the meal. Did I mention how good the oysters were? Expertly shucked, incredidably fresh. My wife's 4 large scallops were superbly sauteed and presented on a bed of butternut squash, barley, brussel sprout leaves was yummy. None were left on the plate. My monkfish schnitzel was delicately coated and sautéed and was on a bed of an purée, Brocoli rabe, roasted cauliflower was likewise delicious. We enjoyed an wonderful bottle of Pascal Jolivert Pouilly Fume. Nice wine... But a little over priced. As was most of the wine list. Some good choices but a little dear int the price department.

The staff were excellent. Prompt and pleasant. Also, if our wait person got hung up at another table, another would be keeping watch, fill water glasses, serve wine or clear. It was a well run resturant. I highly recommend.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

What a great place! We loved everything we ordered, and the service was excellent! The oysters and clams were to die for. We just kept ordering and lost count eventually! Also a must-try is the lobster roe noodles... YUM! The desserts were heavenly, especially the honey crisp apple fritters with bourbon caramel. I am craving that as I write! We can't wait to go back!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I've been trying to get into this place since it opened, but it's always packed so we decided to go early 5:30 on a week night. No trouble getting a same day reservation at the hour. We were expecting a lot and were surprised by how much more we got. We started the scallop ceviche. It was delicately spiced while still delivering a big flavor. At $9 you don't get a lot. We shared and I could have easily finished it alone. I followed with a variety of oysters all from Massachusetts. The wait staff was extremely helpful and knowledgable. They leave you a list of the oysters you have ordered. I wanted to make notes and she suggested using my phone to photograph and record my opinions--great idea. They were all so fresh. I was still hungry and ordered a soup of Heirloom Squash with lobster knuckles. Wow. If you have room for dessert, go for it. We had the lava cake. Yikes! They have a nice wine, beer and creative cocktail list. By the time we finished the place was crowed, yet it was not noisy. I can't wait to return.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is the place. Great selection of fresh oysters. The menu changes daily and always impresses. The ambiance is fantastic - great design, good looking and divers clientele, well integrated background music that doesn't take away from your conversation and top notch food and cocktails. Great place. I have been here a half dozen times now and it never disappoints.