“Excellent food, but I will never go back”
Review of Menton

Menton
Reserve with OpenTable
Menton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #157 of 3,202 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Seaport District / South Boston Waterfront
Cross street: A Street
Description: Menton, Chef Barbara Lynch's Fort Point fine dining restaurant, is the final concept to complete her Fort Point trifecta and joins neighbors Sportello and Drink. Located in FP3, the AIA award-winning luxury condominium complex, Menton radiates an understated elegance and offers several beautiful spaces to dine including the 60-seat dining room, a 12-seat Chef's Table, and the 45-seat private dining room. The restaurant, a glamorous expression of fine dining, was designed by Cheryl and Jeffrey Katz of C&J Katz and features a subtle palette of grays with touches of silver and black. The cuisine of Menton displays the talent for precision and visual artistry across two seasonal tasting menus and a la carte selections for dinner daily, and a more casual a la carte menu for lunch Monday - Friday.
“Excellent food, but I will never go back”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Before I start, I will say this was probably the best meal I've had in Boston. The food was excellent, the wine was very good, and we generally had a great time. I wish I could go into more details on this part.

However, I could not believe that spending this type of money, the place would go out of its way to rip you off. I reserved the chef's table in mid May to celebrate two birthdays in the family. I had arranged everything with their staff beforehand, including one bottle of white wine and one bottle of red wine, as well as having the bill charged to my card on file at the end of the night. We had 5 drinking adults, and 5 children, and we were driving home, so we were not looking to get drunk (and we didn't). When I saw the credit card charge I was surprised to see how much it was, requested a receipt, and found they had charged me for 2 bottles each of the red and the white, even though my email correspondence with them was clear: 1 bottle of each. They never asked if I wanted to open more bottles, I never saw them opening more bottles, the bottles weren't on the table so you couldn't see, and we didn't come close to finishing either bottle. I called to complain about this, and after getting back to me, they apologized about the "miscommunication" and said they would send a gift card so that my wife and I could return. Not sure how I "miscommunicated" but I thought this would settle it and was looking forward to returning.

Then I got a gift card for $100. After being charged $443 for 2 bottles of wine I did not order. Umm, no thanks. Not going back. This was a special occasion, and I am lucky enough to not have a problem splurging for an experience like this, and I knew this would not be cheap, but I have a HUGE problem getting ripped off. It's unfortunate that my conscience will not allow me to return and enjoy the food again.

2 Thank dtaylor197

Wellesley, Massachusetts
“Wow.”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I totally forgot what fine dining could be. Great experience at Menton on Sunday evening. My husband and I ordered the prix fixe menu (4 courses) and were delighted by not one, but 3 amuse bouche served before the 1st course arrived. Ample time to drink champagne apertif and peruse the extensive wine list.

Food highlights - green garlic veloute, red snapper, poulet (which was amazing), beet salad. And one of the amuse bouche - goat cheese macaroon. I could have eaten a platter of those for dinner alone. The caviar with creme fraiche on a madeleine was pretty outstanding too.

Service was impeccable. Couldn't have asked for better service. Was not pretentious, was helpful, was not overbearing but seemed to sense when they were needed, and poof, they appeared. Was not rushed.

If you are looking for a 1st rate dining experience, save your pennies and head to Menton.

Southborough, Massachusetts
“Amazing, delicate flavors, but you pay for it”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

There is absolutely nothing negative anyone can say about an experience at Menton (yes, it is an experience, not just a meal) except for the steep price, but if you are shopping for a top notch restaurant in that price range, you cannot go wrong with this one. The service was unparalleled and our waiter's recommendation for wine was worth the price of the bottle (bottles ranged from $89 to $2,400 if that tells you something). Only ultimate foodies can truly appreciate the subtlety of the offerings so they may be the only ones who will consider this worth the price, but if you are going to eat at a place like this once in your life, it should be here.

Tewksbury, Massachusetts
“You can ignore negative reviews now”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Incredible experience at Menton tonight. Not sure exactly what was the best part: cognac with elderflower, wild salmon with lardon, chicken with parisienne gnocchi, the cheese(s), the gold dusted chocolate moelleux, or the tour of the kitchen at the end. Yes this is expensive but you get what you pay for. This rates up there with Jean Georges in NY or any other upscale restaurant. Imaginative food pairings, outstanding wait service, understated elegant decor. We did NOT have the chef's tasting menu as it was out of our price range. But the 4 course prix fixe was augmented by 3 amuse bouche courses, and a delightful array of artisanal breads/croissants. Terrific wine list with some real winners by the glass. Do not eat here if you just want to stuff yourself from a feed bag. This food is real sensory experience. Make sure you plan to spend enough time so you may savor every exquisite bite.

Winchester, Massachusetts
“Culinary Delight”
Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

Menton has raised and set the standard for the gourmet dining experience in Boston. Each time you are presented with a dish you want to thank the waiter not because you should be polite but because you are genuinely honored to indulge in the food set before you. Highly skilled staff and a great owner/management team is clearly doing it right at Menton.

• Visited November 2012