“Very Expensive but Great for a Special Night Out if A++ Service is Appreciated”
Review of Menton

Menton
Reserve with OpenTable
Menton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #151 of 3,329 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Seaport District / South Boston Waterfront
Cross street: A Street
Description: Menton, Chef Barbara Lynch's Fort Point fine dining restaurant, is the final concept to complete her Fort Point trifecta and joins neighbors Sportello and Drink. Located in FP3, the AIA award-winning luxury condominium complex, Menton radiates an understated elegance and offers several beautiful spaces to dine including the 60-seat dining room, a 12-seat Chef's Table, and the 45-seat private dining room. The restaurant, a glamorous expression of fine dining, was designed by Cheryl and Jeffrey Katz of C&J Katz and features a subtle palette of grays with touches of silver and black. The cuisine of Menton displays the talent for precision and visual artistry across two seasonal tasting menus and a la carte selections for dinner daily, and a more casual a la carte menu for lunch Monday - Friday.
Reviewed February 23, 2013

It was a wonderful night out and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves. I had told my father he would feel completely lavished with attention from the staff (it was his 70th birthday present) and he was (he was truly impressed with the cheese cart server).

So here are some tidbits on the Menton experience -no need to worry about parking - Valet service is available. I tried to make reservation with Open Table (about 2 months before going) and it did not show anything available, so I called and a table was available leading me to believe that not all reservations can be made at Menton through Open Table. Before going, I wanted to see the wine list so I could forward it to my father so he could figure out what wines he would like to order. Nothing is on the web site in this regard, but when I called and requested it be e-mailed the staff was quite accommodating.

Our party of 4 went to Menton to celebrate 2 birthdays. I has asked that a bottle of champagne be waiting when we arrived and it was poured for us as soon as we sat down and was perfectly chilled. 2 of us ordered the four-course prix fixe menu and 2 the more elaborate seven-course chef’s tasting menu. In addition to the courses that you get with those, the table is presented with a number of small appetizers served in very creative ways - 2 that stood out were the "onion whoopie pies" and the wonderful soup they served. There were a number of others presented in between other courses for palate cleansing and the like. One was presented on rocks, the other on a frozen plate of some kind.

I think the table favorite of everyone's courses was the Cape scallops. They were incredibly sweet and tasty and perfectly prepared (my dad even asked for a few extra and they brought him some). Warning don't fill up on the bread even though it is great (a mix of mini croissants, crusty rolls, etc..) Of my courses my favorite was the Kampachi - served raw with pumpkin seeds and sorrel. I had the squab as my main entree choice - some of it was overcooked, but the part that wasn't was very tasty (although I must say I have had better). The dessert component of my meal -a Blood Orange Galette- was underwhelming - I have had much better desserts many other places. They did bring the 2 birthday celebrants their dessert with a lit candle and Happy Birthday written in dark chocolate on the plate. My husband enjoyed the duck course of his meal very much as well.We also had selections from the cheese cart. Very very good - I wish I could remember all of the ones we had, but I do remember there was a fantastic selection and the server quite knowledgeable. It is an additional fee to your meal (pretty hefty) - but we enjoy cheese so splurged. The wine list is fine - nothing out of this world - we had 2 reds in addition to the champagne that were fine (if you remember XV Beacon that was my kind of cellar).

Is this the best restaurant I have ever been to, or dining experience I have ever had? No - is it the most I have paid per person - no - is the service some of the best I have had - yes.

Would I go again? I would think about options available and whether there were another restaurant I was dying to try. Our bill was over $1100 to give you an idea of price (that included the tip). Did we all have a great time? Absolutely!!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

On a Superbowl Sunday evening, I noted that two third of the American population are not watching anyway, so why should I? Instead, I used the opportunity to sample yet another Bostonian restaurant. And the Menton probably counts among its finest, if not the best.

You enter a refined dining room. The first you receive is a winelist which lets you choose, among others, between five pages of sparkling wine. I had a Gin Lavender Lemon aperitif - tastes better than it sounds.

You are being greeted from the kitchen with a string of amuse bouches, some of them presented atop a glass jar of stones or dried corn.

Instead of the fixed price menu or the chef's tasting, which both look good, I tried three appetizers: the hamachi was exquisitely prepared and well accompanied by pumpkin seed, curry and sorrel. The horseradish velouté, served at the table, came with quail egg, brioche and beech mushroom, a perfect blend. The terrine of foie gras came close to the best I ever had, at Harald Wohlfahrt's Schwarzwaldstube. Oroblanco, an otherwise completely superfluous fruit, made sense, as did the ginger.

If you did not think chicory is suitable as a desert, try the chicory cremeux, which came with hazelnut, apple and star anise.

The staff being extremely attentive, the kitchen super quick (ok, it was not fully seated that night), it was an exquisite dining experience. Value for money - I paid almost as much the other night in another restaurant, but this was a stratosphere above in quality and presentation. Strongly recommended.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

When we walked into the dining room at Menton we were struck by the mix of comfort and elegance. If you are looking for a superb fine dining experience this is the place to go. The food and service is truly distinguished. Courses are delicious little bites, but there are many of them. You will not leave hungry. Wine selected for us was great. Our only disappointment was we had hoped to start our evening at Drink with a pre dinner cocktail. The line to get into Drink was up the stairs and almost to the door. We walked two blocks to Strega and enjoyed our pre dinner cocktail with them.

1  Thank srugnetta
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is the place to go for that special occasion. The staff are all welcoming and attentive. Service is always superb. The food was 5 star in my opinion. My fiance consider Menton the best restaraunt in Boston and one of the best we have been in - BBe that North America, Latin America or Europe.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

The staff extremely attentive. We arrived early so they had us take a seat in the lounge and brought us a beverage and offered a comp snack as we awaited. Attentive, friendly service throughout. Early course items are bite sizes but with the number of plates related to portion will fill you. Found most of the pairings extremely complementary but the timing and quantity came a bit fast for this diner (towards the 3-6th pour) . My dining companion did not order the wine pairings but instead ordered specific offerings as they were poured. This was a celebration meal for my guest. The staff brough a complementary treat at the end to wish her well. I was unable to even eat the last 2 courses as I hit my own personal wall. The detail to food preparation, wine pairings, service and ambiance are why Menton is top rated. Next visit here we will try the Prix fix menu vs the Chef tasting.