“Great, awesome, fantastic, unforgettable cruise!”

Liberty Fleet of Tall Ships
More attraction details
Owner description: Set sail with Boston's Tall Ships and view the harbor while under sail. The Liberty Fleet is Boston's premier tall ship sailing company. You'll be invited to help set the sails and can ask the captain to take a turn at the helm. Come relax and enjoy a beautiful harbor sail with the Liberty Fleet.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Montana
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Great, awesome, fantastic, unforgettable cruise!”
Reviewed January 29, 2011

We’ve had a few emails/messages from people wondering how our cruise was on the Liberty Clipper. For this review, I’m mostly using the “copy” and “paste” functions and moving our answers from the emails/messages to here. Although I’m editing the answers a bit, some of the info may be repeated and I apologize for that.

We had a blast! We would do it again in a heartbeat!!! The crew was super friendly and always helpful. We would recomend going a little later than when we did (mid-Dec). It was a little cool, but being from Montana it did not bug us too much. If you are going down strickly for the cruise, give yourself an extra day on each side of the cruise so that you don't have to rush to and from the airport. Food was awsome. We even had desserts after every lunch AND dinner – how cool is that? The group we sailed with got their moneys worth on the open bar ticket.

We had a great time on the cruise. Due to bad weather on the day we were supposed to depart, we did have an extra day in Nassau. The crew was wonderful, lots of fun to be around. And the food was fantastic. Cabins are very small. Just wall hooks and a clothes line to hang things from. You can store bags/suitcases under the lower bunk.

The number one thing I would take if I go back to the Bahamas is bug repellent that repels sand fleas. At one beach we stopped at during the cruise I got over 100 on my legs and about 20 on my hands and arms (from picking up seashells). They are about 100 times worse than mosquito bites and itch for about a week. Only one other person on the cruise got any bites (out of 24), and not nearly as many as I did. But better safe than sorry - just find something like Off that lists sand fleas as one of the bugs it repels. And keep out of any seaweed on the beaches - that's where they live. I could go on and on, but will stop now. LOL.

I knew Nassau was expensive, but still was suprised. I bought a package of oreos to keep in our cabin - $6.00! So, if you’re a snacker & you have space in your luggage, bring some from home. Hint: There's also cookies stored under one of the benches in the dining area (my hubby and one of the other guests raided it one night, but I'm sure if you just ask, one of the crew will pull some out).

If you'll be spending extra days in the Bahamas before or after the cruise, there's a laundromat at Nassau Yacht Haven (where the ship is docked). Also, in the same building is a nice dive shop with lots of cool T-shirts. Upstairs is a nice restaurant with good food, yummy desserts and a great atmosphere (see review of the Poop Deck). A bunch of us met up there before the official check-in time on the ship and then went back again later that evening (as meals aren't served onboard until the next morning).

I packed a lightweight shawl that ended up being perfect for evenings on deck. It was big enough that it covered up both of us if we were sitting close together (i.e. snuggling), or I could wrap it around me and keep warm. Take 2-3 swimsuits if you like being in the water. It was nice to be able to rotate them and not put on a damp suit the next day. Your cabin is stocked with bath towels and beach towels. Definitely take a sweater/sweat shirt/fleece pullover for early mornings and cooler evenings. Take some sort of clip to attach between your hat and clothing or your least favorite hat - my hubby lost his cap to the sea. To get to the shower, you'll have to walk out in the hallway. There's no where to hang clothing in the shower - it'll get wet. So just plan on wrapping up in your bath towel in your cabin and scurrying over to the shower. It's alot easier and everyone ends up doing it. Each section has it's own shower room and toilet room (head). Ours was shared between 4 cabins. They weren't the greatest, but they were well cleaned everyday. I only had to wait for the shower once, and that was only about 10 minutes.

Someone emailed me the following: “Did you read the latest review on tripadvisor? wow...it wasn't very complimentary, to put it mildly. Please give me your thoughts on this person's opinion.” Here’s my reply:

If we're reading the same reviews, there looks to be about 3 somewhat negative reviews on the first page. All three are rating the day trips the Liberty Clipper does out of Boston in the summer. Two of them mentioned being crowded. On the weeklong trips in the Bahamas, you are definitely NOT crowded. We had 24 guests aboard and there was always a place to be secluded if you wanted to be alone or just with your special someone. I think the day trips in Boston take a whole lot more people. In the Bahamas, the max is 28. And two of the 3 reviewers mentioned the weather/lack of wind for part of their lower rating. Only one person seemed to have a real problem with the whole experience. And my feeling is, you can't please everyone. He mentions the manager. If he's talking about Andy, the owner, I have to disagree completely. Andy and I emailed a number of times and talked on the phone and he was great. On the Liberty Clipper's Facebook page, he is always answering people's questions & concerns. I haven't looked through all of the reviews and picked out the ones just for the Bahamas, but the couple that I did read gave really good reviews of the trip. I hope this helps.

Visited December 2010
11 Thank wildburg

Boston, Massachusetts
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“Meh-Not Bad, Not Great”
Reviewed November 30, 2010

Living in Boston and never having participated in a ship sail, I thought "why not" when the Groupon came up for the Liberty Fleet. A group of us bought them and thought we'd give it a go.

It is indeed a very neat boat, authentic with a crew that also lives on the boat. I am from a sailing town in Maine, so this type of thing was familiar to me. The crew had some people help them lift the sails which was fun. I initially tried to help but didn't have the strength or speed to do it!

We went towards end of summer/early fall, and it happened to be a very chilly day. Not the fault of the Liberty Fleet, but to note, since it is a sunset cruise, you will want to bring a hat, scarf and mittens if going anytime from late August forward.

The boat felt a bit cramped with all the people on it and there weren't many places to stand/go. So the whole time we were regulated to one corner. The area below deck where the bathrooms are is a place you can hang out, but not scenic (obviously) and not really ideal. (it is a ship, so the bathroom is TINY.).

They had some alcoholic beverages you can buy on board if you'd like.

Overall it was okay, but not all that fun as there wasn't much to do but stand around and take in the scenery. I appreciate that I was on an authentic ship with some really nice crew members, but I just didn't come away that excited about what just happened.

I am not saying, don't give it a try, I think many people will still find it a fun thing to do, but I was just a bit underwhelmed.

Boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great afternoon sail”
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We went on a 2 hour afternoon sail in Boston Harbor with kids and loved it. Very relaxing, nice atmosphere, beautiful views. The captain offered to let my kids hold the wheel which they loved!

1 Thank inna215
Worcester, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Awful”
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Incredibly poor customer service. I will never give these people my money again. There was misleading advertising and the manager practically yelled at me when I pointed out how misleading it was.

8 Thank akatt
San Diego, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Complete waste”
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I love sailing and never sailed on a tall ship so I figured we'd give it a shot. It turned out to be a very lame trip. There was no wind (not their fault) so we just motored all the way (with sails up for show) so I would recommend you do not book until the day off or a day before so you can check the wind forecast.

The ship itself is pretty small and it was way overbooked - many people had to just stand around for two hours with absolutely nothing to do. I thought a sunset sail would be a somewhat romantic experience for a somewhat-of-a-date I was on. Instead, it was a complete misery.

I actually tried to do this the last time I was in Boston but we were not able to make it there in time so we were out $100. This time we made it but it was definitely not worth it.

2 Thank NotSupposedTo