“Tall Ship Liberty Clipper”

Liberty Fleet of Tall Ships
More attraction details
Owner description: Set sail with Boston's Tall Ships and view the harbor while under sail. The Liberty Fleet is Boston's premier tall ship sailing company. You'll be invited to help set the sails and can ask the captain to take a turn at the helm. Come relax and enjoy a beautiful harbor sail with the Liberty Fleet.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
bc
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Tall Ship Liberty Clipper”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

We enjoyed our trip on the Tall Ship from Boston Harbour but would not recommend it as the best Boston has to offer. We paid extra for the Boston Tea Party re-encactment cruise but we were a little disappointed as it was more aimed for children. The commentary was not all that informative though the view was nice. Although the ticket price was expensive, we felt it in very poor taste to be asked later for tips on disembarkment. We liked the harbour cruise much better than the tall ship cruise.

Visited July 2012
3 Thank djeros
Elizabeth H, Owner at Liberty Fleet of Tall Ships, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Hi,

I'm sorry you did not completely enjoy your Boston Tea Party sail aboard the Liberty Clipper. While the Tea Party sail is aimed more towards children, the act of sailing around the Harbor on a classic 18th Century Clipper ship can be enjoyed by anyone! As for the tip jar, our crew lives aboard the boat for the whole summer, and Tall Ship sailors are truly some of the hardest workers you will ever meet. While tipping is not mandatory, the crew appreciates it. Thanks!

Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best view of Boston I could find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

I really really enjoyed my sunset sail on the Liberty Star. It was truly the highlight of my stay on the East Coast. While Mother Nature had a role in that, your staff again was incredible.

1 Thank Jenifer C
Seattle, Washington
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 266 helpful votes
“Fun way to see the harbor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

This is a much smaller and less well-organized outfit than Boston Harbor Cruises, but once we actually got out on the water it was the most fun. They have a small ticket podium on the dock that is often unattended, and when we tried to show up for the noon cruise listed on the sign there was no boat and nobody in sight, so I called and found out the next cruise was at 3pm. When we came back around 2:20, still no one at the booth, so we walked down the dock to the boat and some guys there told us the 3pm sail was cancelled :-(. Fortunately, then they asked someone who actually knew what was going on and he said yes, the boat was going out at 3 and he could sell us tickets.

This is a big sailing ship with a half dozen young deck hands, and they ask the passengers to help raise the sails initially, pulling on the lines as directed - after that, you can just sit and relax. One of the deck hands sang some sea chantys as she worked, which was entertaining. There were only a couple dozen passengers, scattered about sitting on any available surfaces, and they had a cash bar open once we got underway. It was a great way to enjoy a sunny afternoon, and very peaceful with no engine noise as we sailed around the harbor. There was one woman in costume who told the story of the Boston Tea Party and did a brief bit near the end of the cruise where passengers threw a couple of fake crates of tea overboard, but it was not overdone and not a major part of the sail.

I would do this sail again if I returned to Boston on a warm sunny day.

1 Thank Seattle98101
Westminster, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Sunset cruise a must”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was not something we were going to do, but it was included in the Go Boston card, and I am so glad we did. Got a beatiful view of the sunset and city at night, with some great pictures of Boston in the background. I had a great time, but if you are someone who gets motion sickness you probably shouldn't do this, as when the sails went up the ship did a lot of rocking. The crew was great, very entertaining, and lots of photo opps. A must for anyone who likes being on the water.

1 Thank chips465
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“One For Your Bucket List”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Wow it's nearly been two years since my wife and I boarded the Tall Ship Liberty Clipper in Nassau, Bahamas for a one week cruise. It was truely a trip of a life time and as much as I'd like to keep it a well kept secret, that would be selfish of me. You'll have to do your own homework on this tall ship for the particulars, but I will tell you it was awesome! Our cruise was all inclusive. The passengers numbered 26 and the crew 9. It was like a private cruise, sailing out into the Caribbean sea under full sail. Our Captain and his crew took us ashore to uninhabited white sand covered islands, where you could swim, snorkle, explore, or just soak up the sun. Then back to the ship for an expertly prepared meal. The food was fantastic and plenty of it at all times. The liquor cabnet was always open if you wished and we got to meet some super ship mates from all over the U.S. It was an intimate setting and we made some great friends we remain in contact with yet today. If you are looking for something away from the crowds with a flair towards 200 years ago, this is for you. We can't wait to do this again. This trip was taken February of 2011, I highly recommend this adventure cruise!

Visited October 2011