“Very fun experience”

and up
Tall Ship Sail in the Boston Harbor
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: In the winter you can find our schooner, the Liberty Clipper, sailing in the Bahamas and exploring snow white beaches and crystal clear deep blue waters. Join us for a six night island hopping experience from November to May. Starting late Spring, early Summer, set sail with Boston's Tall Ships and view the harbor while under sail. The Liberty Fleet is Boston's premier tall ship sailing company. You'll be invited to help set the sails and can ask the captain to take a turn at the helm. Come relax and enjoy a beautiful harbor sail with the Liberty Fleet. We offer many different sailing experiences, from a relaxing Sunset Sail or Daytime Harbor Sail, to delicious Sunday Brunch sails. How about a Rum & Revelry Sail or chartering one of our ships for your business event? We even do weddings! Email or call our office and we will gladly answer any questions you may have.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My wife and I took the sunset sail and also stayed over night on their smaller tall boat. The sail was beautiful, the crew was informative, and they were fun to be around. After spending a couple of hours out on the water we came back and began getting settling into the boat for our over night stay. We slept with all doors and portholes open under the stars in Boston Harbor and it was an outstanding experience. We awoke to a soft cool breeze coming off the water and the gently swaying of the boat in the morning. Given the opportunity we would do this again.

1  Thank Steve F
in 119 reviews
"sailed"
in 61 reviews

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Did an evening cruise which was gorgeous and it is really nice to cruise through the Harbor under sail, help haul the sails, etc. It was not much of a tour with narration but fun if you just want to get out for an evening and see the city and what is generally a very beautiful sunset. I cannot comment on the overnight option since my wife and I just did an evening cruise.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Actually I was not able to sail at all - here is my story:
I bought a groupon for a sailing for two people and had to make a reservation thru a separate channel. First, it was very restrictive and only a few days were available, though on the company web-site ALL departures were available. Since we were flexible, I made a reservation and on the day of sailing we came in time on the wharf.
Here I was told the ship has some electrical problems and is not sailing that day.
My question "why you did not call us or emailed?" was answered by shrug. Next the guy suggested we should come tomorrow and pay full price for sailing. No way to re-schedule the groupon. He even mentioned that the crew do not care about our groupon at all. BTW, groupon.com refunded my purchase without any questions after hearing my story.

I strongly ask the readers to use others sailing companies - there are plenty of them around. And if you have either 1-day or 7-days transportation pass, some ferries in the harbor are free.

3  Thank igorek
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This was disappointing in both aspects both the sunset cruise and the night on the ship. It could be so much more.. so I hope they read these comments so they can make it truly an 'experience'.
I'll start with the sunset cruise.... it was disappointing - other than the beginning welcome aboard and now watch us work putting the sails up (you can help us if you want) there is no atmosphere... no music
playing.. no person telling us what we are seeing on the shore line- nothing very boring. They did have a bar but no snacks. Now onto the B & B part. We had already been into the cabins before the sunset cruise started. My boyfriend said - as a comment -"I need to go out of the room to change my mind" that's how small the cabins are. But we know that being on a ship they weren't going to be huge - so actually not a big deal for one night. What was a big deal was the smell of the head (toilet) man it reaked. The showers up by us at the front did not work. I didn't venture to go to the ones at the back, but my boyfriend did and man he said they were disgusting. He stood in an inch of water on the floor. No where to change so he walked back with just a towel around him (that meant going up the ladder walking across the deck and back down another ladder) What I will say is the rooms were clean, sheets were clean, breakfast was ok - cereals, fruit, orange juice, coffee... and the location location location is GREAT. After we docked at 8 p.m. we changed and then wandered around the Boston Harbour, no worry about drinking, driving etc... They do have a strict rule of noise after 10. We probably woke up the crew when we ventured in later.. but nothing was said to us. I will say the crew is not very friendly - Margie is the exception and tries her best. But we were up on the deck after the sail, and then in the morning and no one talked to us.... at all other than Margie......we ended up talking to other guests. This could be such a great attraction in Boston but they need to work on the hospitality, the small things... It's a gold mine but unfortunately not right now. I will chalk it up to an experience - was I glad we did it YES.. will I do it again NO.