“Worth going once!”

Liberty Fleet of Tall Ships
More attraction details
Owner description: Set sail with Boston's Tall Ships and view the harbor while under sail. The Liberty Fleet is Boston's premier tall ship sailing company. You'll be invited to help set the sails and can ask the captain to take a turn at the helm. Come relax and enjoy a beautiful harbor sail with the Liberty Fleet.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This is worth going on especially if you have never sailed on a tall ship. The tour sails from the downtown harbor and goes out to sail for about two hours. Very nice. We took the late afternoon sail and watched the sun set as we sailed back to the harbor. The only downside was there were too many people on the ship, and a lot of us had to stand the whole two hours. It wasn't horrible, but my teenage son and I had been running around all day doing fun stuff, that when we got on, it was already crowded and there were no seats around the ship left. For those who want to help out, they do ask for help raising and then lowering the sails. Very nice attraction!

There are newer reviews for Liberty Fleet of Tall Ships

Reviewed August 16, 2011

We had to go on a "tea party re-enactment " cruise since it was a Sunday and we wanted the e3pm cruise. The earlier cruise was a brunch one.
We were told to get there 45 minutes before yet didnt board until 15 minutes before. Once we started, the only communication was where the lifejackets were.. There was no narrration on what we were passing, only the sound of planes taking off from Logan airport. The passengers were allowed to help hoist the sail.IOne crew member rudely told me to leave if I wasnt helping. The re-enactment was a bit lame. Some guy in a patriots costume pretending to lead a town meeting to decide to throw the tea overboard . They tossed a teathered box into the water. When disembarking, none of the crew offered help to anyone, and there was quite a gap between the ship and dock.
To top it off, it was drizzling. I had enquired about rain beforehand and was told they would put up a canopy if it rained. When I got off and asked about it, I was told that it wasnt raining hard enough to do that. They said most people would have rain gear!- tell that to all the tourists who did not have any rain gear. and got wet.

3  Thank Mapie35
Reviewed August 14, 2011

This was our second sail on this ship. The first time we had miserable rainy weather, and still managed to have a good time, although we had to be below decks most of the time. This time the weather cooperated and we had a delightful sail on Boston Harbor, had fun helping to set the sails, and enjoyed the commentary (which was informative but not at all intrusive.) This particular sail included a reenactment of the Boston Tea Party, and so a costumed actor was on board to set the scene. He did a great job, especially good at engaging the kids on board, and was a wealth of knowledge about the time period. A fun and relaxing thing to do; a great way to get a view of the beautiful harbor.

2  Thank Ro F
Reviewed August 10, 2011

It would seem the Liberty Fleet does all sorts of different types of trips throughout the year. Reading the reviews on tripadvisor, I can see that some of their cruises may not be what you are looking for.

We did the Boston Tea Party Trip that took about 2 hours. My hubby wanted to take a trip on a schooner and help with the sails. There is a 3 pm trip that does this and is $5 cheaper. We paid the extra $5 for the Tea Party re-enactment at noon and I would suggest it highly whether you have kids or not.

We choose the re-enactment because of the kids, however working on the schooner you do help to lift the sails but the rest of the trip is spent lounging and the crew takes over. Just a note, the throwing of the tea overboard is was done by the kids. Although they open it to anyone to throw, the kids were the ones who volunteered. I really liked hearing the info about the Tea Party, like after the tea was thrown overboard, the fish population went down for about 3 months.

Pros:
> there is a snack table on board, with Ginger Ale which help my daughter and I overcome sea sickness.
> We got to heave ho some sails.
> The re-enactor is fantastic, he is said he studied history and drama in college. It showed, he was excellent.
> They set off a mini cannon, which sounded neat over the harbor.
> We purchased tickets 2 hours before sailing with no problems
> Everyone on the crew is very nice.
> Although they didn't say so unless you asked, you can explore the ship. There are rooms on board that you can rent for the night.
> They give you some information about the boat.
> the view of boston is beautiful.

Cons:
> there is down time, not a lot but I was glad we went to the re-enactment otherwise it would have been an hour and half of just sitting there.
> They ask for tips after the trip. This is not necessarily bad but I usually like warning beforehand. As you get off the boat one of the deck hands is hold a pot to put tips in.

2  Thank VirginiaSnoweater
Reviewed August 1, 2011

For a nice quiet sail on a 2 masted schooner, take this boat out. The sales go up and the wind take you out in the harbor. You can see the city and there is an interesting commentary about everything you see. No motors and loud noises. It's peaceful, relaxing and entertaining. The crew is nice, funny and will gladly answer all your questions. They appear to work there because they like it, not because they need a job, which I'm sure they do! I'd go out on the tall ship again when in Boston!

1  Thank Felice18