“Hidden Gem in the Financial Area”
Review of Kamakura

OR
Order Online
Ranked #681 of 3,440 Restaurants in Boston
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Kamakura - named for and inspired by chef Youji Iwakura's hometown - will serve nouvelle washoku (authentic Japanese cuisine) and modern-day kaiseki (seasonal, multi-course meals) in a warm, cozy atmosphere. The menu will also specialize in Youji’s well-seasoned edo-mae-style sushi, and an extensive beverage program, featuring warm sake, as well as Japan indigenous “Koshu” grape wine.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I've worked in downtown Boston most of my career. The lunch options are good, but most are pretty similar. To step into Kamakura on a weekday and eat on the 2nd floor is like leaving the city for an hour to be an experience somewhere else. Food is excellent, service great, and the dining room is cozy and quiet and filled with ambiance. Not sure why it's taken me so long to find this place, but I'm sure to be back.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (22)

Reviewed January 20, 2020 via mobile

Kamakura is the only authentic Japanese restaurant in Boston and when I dine there it is like being in Japan. Chef Youji is very creative and only uses the best ingredients. Kamakura is the hometown of Chef Youji and a lot of the choices there are from his home town. Some of the fish is flown in from Japan and is super fresh. Kamakura is conveniently located on State Street across the street from the Custom House in the financial district. They have an excellent selection of Sake and a top floor retractable glass roof. The pictures were lunch time choices.

Reviewed January 2, 2020

There are not many authentic Japanese restaurants in Boston. I'm so glad that I found this place. I had cha kaiseki meal and it was fantastic. I also love their green tea tiramisu. Will come back for kaiseki meal.

2  Thank fallletter
Reviewed December 8, 2019 via mobile

We were close by and my daughter wanted sushi so we ventured in. Lovely space. Friendly staff. Do not expect to order from a menu of endless rolls with 50 ingredients..this is not that type of place. The Waugh app and shishito pepper app were delicious. The hamachi pastrami was good but not my fav. The chit orl was amazing. Enjoyed the rosy cheeks and high tea cocktails. Would return!

Reviewed December 2, 2019 via mobile

Very good attention, especially from the waiter. A young boy who knows in detail all the dishes and their ingredients. The atmosphere is very warm. The food style is Japanese, don't expect the typical sushi restaurant. My only non-positive comment is that it seemed a bit expensive.

Date of visit: December 2019

Been to Kamakura? Share your experiences!