“Wonderful boutique hotel in perfect location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #42 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Alabama
“Wonderful boutique hotel in perfect location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

The Ames Hotel in Boston is a fabulous treat in a beautiful city. You cannot beat the location of The Ames, which is a 5 minute walk from Quincy Market, a 10 minute walk to the best cannolis in the world (outside of Italy) at Mike's Pastry in the North End, and a 2 minute walk to the Government Center T station. The staff goes above and beyond the call of duty to meet your every need and request (special kudos to Nina Sweet and Charles at the concierge desk). The rooms are decorated with a fun modern flair and are comfortable in every respect. Did not have any problem with outside noise from the street. The price is very reasonable for a room, and The Ames does offer a AAA discount. I would certainly stay at The Ames again and highly recommend it. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
NinaSweet, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, October 6, 2010
Thank you so much! I love our hotel being referred to as a “treat”. Aren’t the cannolis at Mike’s out of this world? Next time you will have to compare and contrast them with Modern Pastry (my personal favorite). I’m so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and explored all that Boston has to offer. I hope that you will come back again soon! Please email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Turkish first
Saint John, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2010

I had never heard of the Ames Hotel, nor the Morgan Hotels when I booked at Ames in Boston.

It was a totally satisfactory experience in all regards.

Staff were great, room was great, excellent bathroom, and several interesting touches that I had not seen before such as back to back TV's for living area and bedroom. Great ideas!!

Staff were excellent.

We will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review! How wonderful that you found us and loved us. We put a lot of thought into the design of our rooms and it makes me happy that you found them to be interesting touches. Please email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com when you are returning again!
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2010

we stayed at the ames for 2 nights and got pretty much what we were looking for. if you have been to one shrager hotel you know them all ;-). rooms have a good size and are well equipped. nice bathrooms - if you like the "shower in the window" thing so many design hotels consider contemporary. unfortunately no free wifi but there is a starbucks just around the corner. the bar is hip so very crowded at night. the location is absolutely perfect, right there on freedom trail. we liked it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
NinaSweet, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, September 12, 2010
I’m so glad you liked us! Thank you for your review and your stay! If you ever come back to the States and to Boston I hope you’ll email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com so I can take care of your booking!
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

Unlike most reviewers, I am not sure if the location is the best thing about the Ames Hotel. It is located in a tight area with heavy people\vehicle traffic and it is right beside a homeless center [not shelter, I think] where you see homeless people coming in and out or hanging around. It is walking distance to most points of interests and close to 2 T-stations but so are many hotels in the various Boston districts. There are not many restaurants nearby but there are many fast food places. It is not an ideal hotel for families but convenient for young singles or couples.

The décor is modern and the rooms have a minimalist look. It does have a distinct style that is very appealing. The wooden floors really does adds to the room’s appeal. The bed was excellent and linens were top quality. The flat screen tv is large and had HD channels but there were too many sports channels. The room did not have a brochure or info booklet about the hotel so I did not know if there were a fitness center or a business center, phone numbers to services, what is extra or complimentary. I did find out, after I left, that some of the info can be found on one of the TV channels.

It was really hot during August and the air conditioning didn’t seem to work on certain days but it didn’t bother me much. Sometimes the hot water was just luke warm. I just attributed these to the age and structure of the building. Even though the hotel went through a renovation recently, the room I stayed in had a lot of scuff marks and some of the bathroom fixtures doesn’t seem to last long.

High rates and opulence usually goes hand in hand but for a minimalist boutique hotel with high rates might not, in these economic times. Even though it was unique, the whole experience is a bit lessen by the exclusion of little things that costs almost nothing and matters to guests such as the morning newspaper, free wi-fi, ice\coffee maker. Still, it was a good stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I’m glad that you had a good stay, even if the location didn’t seem right for you. Just a few minute walk in any direction from the hotel puts you in a different area with several options for dining and sightseeing in each one. For example, the waterfront and the New England Aquarium are just at the end of the street (about a 5 minute walk). If you go in the other direction, a 5 minute walk will bring you to Boston Common along the Freedom Trail.

I’m happy that you liked our design. I think the wood floors are so unique and love how airy it makes the rooms feel. As you mentioned, we do not have a traditional information book in our rooms, but we do offer a Hotel Directory on our televisions. Please email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com if you are ever in Boston again, and I’d be happy to personally handle your reservations!
Tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

I ended up staying here when attending a business conference because the conference hotel was full. I'm really glad I did!

Price: for decent hotels in the area, this was actually one of the less expensive, corporate rate or not.

Location: EXCELLENT! This hotel is right next to (literally, almost on top of) the Old State House Museum and the Boston Massacre site. From here I also walked to the 5!wits TOMB exhibit, to the Boston Gardens, to the Blue Man Group, to the Cheers bar, (none was more than about 1.5 miles tops) and I walked every day down to the wharf where my conference was and stopped to eat at a lot of great places - Legal Seafood, Quincy Market, Oceania all right there. Location felt safe. Didn't want to go down side streets much but otherwise great on the main paths.

Parking/transport: don't even think about it...taxi here, taxi back. I have no idea where you would park, but it would be expensive. You're very close to mass transit too...subway about 1/2 mile away I think (down by the aquarium, might be something closer)

Decor: OMG, this was the best part. The room is seriously like something in a modern art museum. Skinny chrome lamps, white bed, dark grey walls and floors in the bath, wood floor in the bedroom, white bedding, red table, comfy chair, translucent walls. Only bad things are that the dark floor shows footprints really easily (they keep it clean though) and the room requires a lot of thought - everything has a control panel and most things require some thinking to operate...which can also be kind of a fun adventure :) The faux fur blanket on the bed is the awesomest thing. So soft...I seriously considered buying one from the hotel (they will sell you almost anything in the room if you asked). For such an old building you can tell it's been remodeled very recently. Shower was nice - multiple heads. Sad there was no bathtub though... I don't know if there are in some of the nicer rooms, but there wasn't in the standard one.

Amenities: Didn't check out the bar/restaurant, but there's always a party going on. Wouldn't want to be on the bottom most floor when it's really going, but it looked like fun. The exercise room is nice though...not huge, but a lot of equipment, all very new, lots of variety.

Staff is incredibly helpful...all know a lot about the rooms and the area and very friendly. A few misses on the part of the housekeeping staff (forgot some toiletries, nothing major), but everyone else was incredibly professional. Check in/out was a breeze.

Lovely trip...very glad I went to the Ames. The novel decor alone was worth it. The location rocked as well.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Wow! I’m so glad you ended up staying here too, and I’m so so so glad that you had a fabulous stay with us! Even though you were here on business, it seems like you were able to mix in a good bit of pleasure too! That’s one of the great things about our location; steps from great restaurants, theater, sites, AND offices and conference halls. I love your comments about our decor and I think “art museum” is such a cool way to describe it. A comfy, homey, art museum. And the fur throws!! Oh, the throws...love. Please come back and experience Woodward, I know you would have great time there! Email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com and I’ll handle your reservation!
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

The Ames Morgan is a new hotel created from the bones of a historic building, so it retains the charm of the old mixed with imaginative modern renovations and decor. The rooms are fantastically designed, hardwood floors and clean pieces add to comfort and cleanliness. The location is absolutely perfect -- right in the center of everything and directly across from the State St. subway station. We never used a cab or subway to get around Boston from our hotel. The staff is extremely nice and responsive. Couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I couldn’t ask for a better review. I love the old mixed with the new; it truly embodies Boston! Next time you come back I hope you’ll make it into Woodward; there are fantastic curiosities to be seen as well as the original hand-laid tile floor, not to mention the great drinks and food! Feel free to email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com on your next trip!
Cornwall UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

We had a great three nights at the Ames hotel. When we first arrived the hotel seemed noisy and i was worried we would be kept awake but the staff assured us we would here nothing and we did not. The room was clean and had everything we needed. The staff were very friendly. Hotel in great location

My only gripe with the hotel which did not affect my stay but would put me off booking again with them if i took my daughter is, it did not seem to have access for a wheelchair. I could be mistaken but i know we could not access from the front of the hotel, i would stay again if we traveled without her.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review! I’m happy that we were able to accommodate you in a quiet room and that you had everything you needed. I hope that you do come back with your daughter as we are indeed wheelchair accessible. We have an accessible door in the Lobby which opens right out onto the sidewalk (a few yards away from the main entrance of the building). We also have a ramp on the first floor of the restaurant, and several accessible rooms with roll in showers. I hope you enjoyed your time in Boston, and please email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com when you make your booking with your family so that I can notate your reservation.