This is my first TripAdvisor review. I normally consult TripAdvisor quite a bit and often lean towards their ratings. My wife and I have just returned home from The Ames Boston Hotel. We stayed four nights from Tuesday-Saturday. I was a bit hesitant after reading some of the more questionable reviews. My wife and I have also stayed in some very nice hotels in other cities. We were came to Boston to celebrate our anniversary, so we did have high expectations for our experience.
All that aside, The Ames Boston was one of the most pleasant hotel stays we have ever experienced. I read TripAdvisor quite a bit so I realize you are less interested in my story and more on my thought of what was good and bad, so here goes:
- Location. Being first timers in Boston we had no idea where we should stay. As our week went on we realized that we could not have picked a better location to stay to try and see all of Boston. We literally walked every where we went except for when we visited Fenway. (actually thats not true, we forgot our map once, got lost, and pretty much walked to the park)
-The hotel vibe. I loved the vibe of the hotel. It felt old and contemporary. It was just kinda funky. I appreciated the nice touches.
-The people. Staff can make or break the hotel experience. I would like to highlight 3 particular people. First was the main concierge. When I spoke with him on the phone and he went above and beyond to make sure that we would have a pleasant stay. I feel certain that we received a room upgrade. It was the same size as the other rooms but it was on the corner and had beautiful city views. It also was on the 14th floor so we experienced NONE of the issues previous people were complaining about regarding subway noise. I am sorry I cannot remember his name because I feel he should receive proper credit. The second person was a man at the front desk known as Dana. When we came in on Tuesday it was raining and he spent several minutes talking with us giving his opinions on Boston. He along with the valet Giovanni gave us some excellent tips on the city. (Hit up the Barking Crap for a naked lobster roll). Again, all three of these men were simply doing their job, but I want to mention them specific because in a world when people are constantly coming and going, it's good to get a little recognition. It may not mean much to them, but they helped make our anniversary trip all the more special. We left so early in the morning I was not able to tip them. Overall, I found Bostonians to be very pleasant people.
- Tub has no bathtub (I don't care about this but others may)
- Elevators are small
If I ever get the opportunity to come back to Boston the Ames will be my first pick of places to stay and I will encourage anyone visiting Boston to do look at them as well.
Furthermore, I am dumbfounded with some of the reviews I have read in the last few months on the hotel. It is a GREAT hotel. The only reason I wouldn't give it 5 stars is because I rarely give anything five stars. There is always room for improvement right?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ames, located in the beautiful and historic Ames building, inspires both modern style and old world sophistication. An experience rich with elegant interpretations, Ames is ideally located near historic Faneuil Hall and Beacon Hill. Boasting a vibrant restaurant and bar offering an atmosphere that is at once refined and playful, a state-of-the art fitness center and suites accented by dramatic, Romanesque arched windows and original fireplaces. Our hotel is now part of the Curio Collection by Hilton and features Hilton HHonors benefits and rewards. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelPower, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ames - a Morgans Original Hotel Boston