“Best hotel I've stayed in!”

Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #40 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This hotel was just fantastic! Everything about it was great - location, staff, but especially the room. It was super clean, fresh and modern. It didn't have that characteristic "old hotel room" smell. I was actually glad coming back to the room at the end of the day. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Takayuki S, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Thank you for the awesome review and we hope to see you soon!!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,586)

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

This is the third time I have stayed at the Ames and I was a bit disappointed. I still like it but there were some changes I was not happy about. The restaurant on the first floor seemed to have disappeared. It was technically still there, but there was a screen in the doorway so not available for hotel guests. I remember their fabulous breakfasts but this was now moved to the second floor with the only option a continental breakfast, which was quite mediocre. The rooms are also in need of some upgrades. The desk needed to be refinished as the lacquer had come off on several places and it was quite visible. My room on the first night was touted as "the best view of the city" yet it had 3 tiny windows. It was almost a joke because you could barely see outside. I wanted a bathtub and this room didn't have one, so I moved to a much smaller room on the 6th floor. Again, desk needs to be replaced. Bathroom was spacious. Tub was nice but almost too deep and too long for my 5'5" stature. Robe was mice and fluffy but i would have liked slippers because of the hardwood floors, which were quite cold. Beds were ok in both rooms but not for long. An upgrade will be necessary in the very near future. Pillows and bedding were excellent. Overall, good experience but I think I will try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed: December 2013
Craig B, Front Office Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Thanks for your review! We're sorry you didn't enjoy some aspects of your stay: like the desks in your room as well as the continental breakfast. We're working on improving both & hope to see you again soon so you can enjoy the improvements!

Reviewed December 3, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Takayuki S, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Reviewed December 3, 2013

The hotel has a very nice modern design. I had a corner room with an incredible view of Boston. The room was clean and comfortable. The location of the hotel is great too as it is super central and you can walk everywhere. It would have been a great hotel if it wasn't for two major things. First, the hotel is expensive; thus, you have certain expectations. When I booked the hotel there was supposed to be a reastaurant and breakfast on site. However, there is absoutely nothing and I was never informed about that. It blows my mind that a hotel of such caliber does not offer any food. This is just insane especially that there is nothing in an immidiate vicinity. I have arrived in Boston late, tired and hungry and Ames had nothing to offer, which was a big dissapointment.

Second thing I didn't like was the customer service. Particualrly at the front desk as te door men were very nice. I have interacted with 3 different front desk people and they all were rude, unhelpful, had an attitude, and clearly looked like they really didn't want to be there and I was bothering them. Particularly there was a guy, who literally would not crack a smile. Everytime I had a question or request they would be short with me and would not cooperate. Very, very dissapointing.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Pysiu

We're sorry you were unhappy about our lack of a restaurant. While it still hasn't reopened, we have started serving a European Style Continental Breakfast, have many restaurants that will deliver to the hotel, & have many, many restaurants within a very short walk from our hotel. We'd also like to apologize for the "curt" service you received from our front desk staff & will address that. Thank you for informing us & for you review. We hope to see you again in the future so we can make it up to you!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed for a week in October for my husband's business trip and I was tagged along. The Ames is located within walking distance of many attractions, but the large number of homeless people you see the minute you step out of the door definitely knocks a few stars off. We have stayed with them before, but did not see any homeless people during the day. It was only late in the evening due to the Veteran's center next door.

Our suite was on the 15th floor and provided a great view. I also liked the fact that the work desk is separated by a long hallway before it leads to the living area. Those are the only good things I can say about them now. They are no longer a part of Morgans hotel group and have gone downhill.

Our soaking tub was dirty. It was dusty and had some hair strands from maybe the previous guests. The front desk and doorman looked like they hated their jobs and didn't even bother to greet us or open the door for us. I go in and out a few times during the day to eat or shop and the doorman is always hanging out by the front desk or nowhere to be found. They also got rid of the restaurant, so the happy hour crowd that helped bring life and buzz into the lobby is gone.

Housekeeping is the worst. We did not utilize them during our week long stay, but can hear all the banging and cleaning they were doing every morning. I was annoyed since I was trying to sleep in. Overall, we were very disappointed and will look into other hotels when we visit Boston.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank CAli2Everywhere

We're sorry you were unsatisfied with various aspects of your stay. We do strive to ensure our rooms are not only cleaned, but inspected so things like hairs in tubs don't happen. I hope you informed us of this so we were able to rectify it for you. Our doorman's lack of being at the door during your stay is unacceptable & will be addressed. Thank you for informing us. The restaurant closure wasn't our choice & actually happened while Morgan's was still running the property & while it has yet to reopen we have started serving a European Style Continental Breakfast. We're also sorry housekeeping woke you up while attending the adjacent rooms while you were trying to sleep in. If you come back to Boston, please contact management directly @ ames@amesbostonhotel.com & we'll try & make it up to you while making sure our housekeepers are extra quiet on your floor during your stay so you can sleep in!

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Booked this hotel under the Morgans management, when there was still a restaurant and bar in the hotel: because I think it's handy to have drinks in the same building you stay.
Unfortunately the new owners closed all F&B-options. Nevertheless, there are some good bars and restaurants nearby. Although; I think a bar & restaurant could bring more life and a more vibrant atmosphere in this beautiful hotel.
The design is fantastic! Rooms and lobby, both have a stylish and practical design. My room was just big enough, again stylish and very pleasant. Loved the clean look and large windows. My bathroom was comfortable and spacious. Everything was very clean. Beds have a good sleep quality. Save the best for last: Location! This hotel has a great location: near most major tourist attractions, restaurants, the harbour, some shops, ...
I will certainly book this hotel again when I'm in Boston!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We now do serve European breakfast on the second floor with Swiss bakery goods. The first floor is still under re-concept and we are looking forward to a new year. We hope to see you soon!!!

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay at the Ames Hotel, very well looked after when I arrived, Room was lovely but you have to like the modern style, nice room size and furniture, nice view over Boston and the sea, lovely bathroom with a very big walk in shower, great minibar and nice breakfast in a lovely room with a fire and a view on the city. Well situated to all must see in downtown Boston.
The only thing is the noise, I tried two different room, due to my schedule, one I could slightly hear the tube, the other some truck unloading on Saturday early morning. So if you have difficulty to sleep I will recommend another Hotel. Otherwise it is great!

Room Tip: room 1411 had a nice view over the city and sea