“Modern but lacking”

Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #43 of 83 Hotels in Boston
“Modern but lacking”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I have mixed reviews about Ames. First of all, it has a beautiful and modern design with a little historic charm. The staff we came in contact with were very pleasant and accommodating.

Pros: room was beautiful (stayed in the 1 bedroom deluxe suite). Central location, easy access to just about everything, close to airport and the T.

Cons: no coffee in the room or lobby! How can a hotel not have that standard? The restaurant/bar is closed, therefore no room service. When I approached the front desk about coffee, they quickly had a coffee maker, etc. sent up to the room. I was happy until the next day when housekeeping had to have seen the coffee maker but did not bring new cups or pods. We had to ask the front desk for more, housekeeping never replenished the entire stay! We found a partially consumed bottle of wine in the mini bar (offered by the hotel), not sure if it was from the people staying in the room prior or not. Again brought to the attention of the front desk so that we wouldn't be charged.
I'm not sure if I will stay here again. Nice hotel but I expect coffee without constantly asking for it.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank ddgtcp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Turkish first
San Francisco
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Rooms are stylish, and the product in the bathrooms is nice. That's about it for the positive. As for the rest, it's hard to understand how a hotel of this caliber and price could have no restaurant open. No coffee in the rooms either, and the front desk is not terribly helpful about suggesting places to eat nearby. There's also a bottle of water for sale in the room for $8. Slick.

People should also be aware that the comments on here about noise are legit. This hotel is loud, especially the T (I think it's the T), which rumbles by starting around 6am. You've been warned.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Bruce C
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I was excited to try the hotel. Loved the aestetics, heard the bar was a nice place to grab a drink. The rooms were small but well appointed. I got in late and had early meetings the next day but when I went to sleep there was some vibration in the room due to what I assume is underground transportation. I was shocked. I called down but the front desk said there was nothing that they could do. While the staff was wonderful and the location great, I will not be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank hhotelier
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My mom and I stayed here for a fun girls' getaway, and we really enjoyed Ames. The hotel was beautiful and literally right off the Freedom Trail. We asked for a room on an upper floor (I had read reviews about the subway noise) - we got the 12th floor and experienced no issues. My only complaint: their website states that breakfast is included, and when we arrived, we discovered the owner decided to close the restaurant for some unknown reason. They reluctantly gave us a discount as we expected breakfast to be included. The overall service was just ok, nothing that would prevent us from returning - but it wasn't exceptional, like you would expect at a boutique location. Nevertheless, we enjoyed every other aspect of our stay and would go back!

• Stayed June 2013
CT
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed here for business. It's trendy - dark corridors, dark bathroom and then very bright white room with a black wall behind the bed. I liked the look of the room and the big windows.
The bed was comfortable.
I didn't like noise. I could hear people in the room next to me and maybe also above me at times. The train (T) rumbles underneath the floor and despite been on the 4th floor you hear the trains and feel them vibrate past. So if noise annoys you don't stay here.
Didn't like the lack of a complimentary water - the Voss beside my bed was $8 which is ridiculous (& I'm here on business).
Boston is expensive and I think I'd take my chance finding somewhere else at $350+ a night then this place. There restaurant was closed and their bar wasn't open either last night but the desk was very helpful in recommending a nice place to eat. off out now for breakfast and to check out.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank CtHelsBells
New Hampshire
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed with a friend for a girls weekend at this hotel and LOVED it. Rooms are uniquely designed, super clean and comfy. Great little bar in the lobby. Did not have time to check out the restaurant but the location is prime. Plan another getaway with hubby in the Fall.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 20, 2013

i stayed here 9/10 nights and this hotel is to be avoided. having travelled all over the world, I have had better experiences in sub saharan Africa.
The worst thing of all is the attitude of the staff. When i called to ask why my room had not been cleaned at 3:30pm, i was told "we are full tonight and kinda busy"...great response for a $400/500 a night room. The cleaning service was even better(take a look at the photo). Shirt arrived wet, creased and unwearable. Arrived to be told the restaurant and bar had been closed down and only option was over-priced food in the room and water by the bed for $8. This place is sooooo bad.
The shower also takes a while to warm up and at busy times has no pressure.
Avoid this place at all costs.
Collegues stayed here too and hated it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business