“Perfect Location - Great Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #42 of 83 Hotels in Boston
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Perfect Location - Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Small boutique style Hotel centrally located in Boston convenient to both restaurants and tourist destinations. Can be difficult to find if you don’t know where you are going as there is no sign in front. Rooms are on the small side but very clean and comfortable. Rooms are very modern and not your traditional décor. Lots of traffic in the area so you will get the noise from the street but I think this is common just about anywhere within the city. Very comfortable bed with a large screen TV mounted on the wall. The Concierge, Doorman and Front Desk were all helpful with directions, restaurant recommendations and any other help we needed. Room service was always prompt and never had to ask for anything. Only complaint I had was that this Hotel’s Restaurant was not open – not sure as to why. Would have been nice to have a place to eat or get a drink while in the Hotel. One of the best Hotels I’ve stayed at.

Room Tip: Hotel is in a great location - close to the North End's selection of Restaurants and historical...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Turkish first
Clovis, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Very modern-contemporary style hotel, but a very comfortable place to stay. The building is old, but did not feel that way once we stepped into the hotel. The room was clean and cozy. Great location for visiting Boston as well. Nearby subway stations and walking distance to numerous historical sites.

Curitiba, PR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Located in a historic Boston building, in the heart of downtown Boston, right next to Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market. "T" stops just across the street. We really loved the boutique and minimalists rooms, and were lucky because the noise does not hurt our sleep any day. My only complaint is the lack of restaurant and breakfast at the hotel (restaurant recently closed), which does not change my opinion about this excellent hotel. I would stay here again!

Surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Ames came highly recommended, but was a disappointment. Stylish lobby with avant garde seating groups, but a closed restaurant and minimalist but poorly maintained guest room were sad facts we had not bargained for. But we slept well and had meals in many different locations, which was not difficult in Boston. Can and must do better to gain more stars from us.

1 Thank LaugherSurrey
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

I had been wanting to stay at the Ames, and was thrilled when it came up on Jetsetter at a good price over the dates I had planned to be in Boston. The front desk staff were friendly and welcoming. There's a nice energy in the rooms - they're minimalist but comfortable. It's walking distance to the North End which was perfect for a delicious dinner. I feel old mentioning this, but my only complaint was the noise. I was on a high floor but the street racket was very loud late into the night. I get it...it's an urban spot. But worth mentioning. That being said, I would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

This historic Boston building was once the tallest building in the city. It has undergone a beautiful internal transformation to a hotel. The exterior, however, makes the building look empty, so empty, in fact, that we walked right by it when looking for our hotel. Keep that in mind when you arrive there the first time.

The rooms are very modern with excellent pillows on the beds and a fun collection of items in the minibar, including a very helpful map of the city. The bathroom in a standard room includes a glass box shower that is visible in the sleeping area. There was no bathtub.

There is no restaurant in this hotel, which is the reason that I didn't give it 5 stars. There should be a restaurant & room service to make it perfect.

1 Thank kbl312
Dormont, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013

Our room (1110) was ideal. It was at the end of the hallway, flanked by the emergency stairs and a maid's closet. Had we not had the room that we did, I think I would be writing a very different review. The walls were very thin, but because we had the room that we did, it really wasn't a problem. We only heard a few door slams and room 1109's tv very faintly in the restroom. We live on a very busy road and can easily tune out road noise and sirens when sleeping. I had very few complaints. Most were very minor. 1.) The shower floor was VERY slick. After a full day of walking around the city in sandals, I like to wash my feet as soon as I can when I get back to the hotel. It was nearly impossible to stand in shower with soap on my feet- think Bambi on ice. 2.) The room was a little bit dirty/dusty. There were a few crumbs on the desk. The night stands and lamps were smudged with finger prints. I don't mind this much, because I thoroughly clean the room when we arrive. I bring a package of Clorox wipes and a small aerosol can of Lysol to clean most surfaces/light switches/remotes, etc. The corners of the walls, exhaust vent, and smoke detector were caked in dust. 3.) We did not see or find the breakfast that Ames' website had boasted. I think a little bit of signage in the lobby would have helped. I am sure the breakfast was there, we just had no clue where. The museum in which I work prescribed, until recently, to the idea that signage was tasteless and garish, however we have started to place some very sleek and austere signs throughout the facility. Our yelp and google reviews have become significantly more positive. When the only employee available is busy checking in visitors and answering phones, signs help quell frustrations and confusion. Ames could benefit by this. Again, this really wasn't a big deal. a close/ cheap breakfast was easily found. There are like 2453212345 Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks within steps of the hotel. I am not being terribly facicious, there is one or the other in every other store front.

Those minor complaints aside, we had a lovely stay. Check in/out was efficient. The room was comfortable and minimally decorated (I adore that). However, it was the location that really seals the deal for the Ames. We only had 2 1/2 days in Boston and being a short walk or trolley ride from everything (including the airport via the blue line) allowed us to tour Boston to its fullest. We even rode the commuter train to Salem for an extra treat. I needed to use the business center to print our boarding passes for our flight home. I couldn't find it (it is located on the 3rd floor, BTW) but the receptionist kindly offered to print them for us on the spot and save me the trouble of going back upstairs.

tl;dr... 1.) location is fantastic 2.) request a corner room on a high floor 3.) beware of slipping in shower 4.) there is no signage- including the building itself 5.) there are 2453212345 Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks within a 2 block radius

Room Tip: High corner room was exceptional
3 Thank Erin B