“Great place to see Boston”

Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #41 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was my first trip to Boston and I think the Ames Hotel is the perfect place to stay.

We stayed in a superior room, which had a great view, comfy beds, ample room to move around and store cases, lovely shower and the Wi-Fi was strong throughout the hotel. No complaints on anything here.

Having never been to Boston before, I relied heavily on Charles the concierge and the door staff for the first day, and they couldn't have been more helpful. I asked about availability at a restaurant, and within 2 minutes Charles had phoned them and a taxi was already waiting by the time the door at the front was opened for me.

I will definitely visit Boston again, and will definitely stay at the Ames again, made the weekend that extra bit enjoyable.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JamieBish19
Write a ReviewReviews (1,588)

Reviewed December 8, 2012

This is my second stay ar the Ames and I love it. I prefer hardwood floors over carpets and I like a clean, minimalistic, non frou frou look. The grey colors of the paint combined with sparkling white works wonderfully. The bed is great, a nice white and crisp duvet is always a must have for me, along with fluffy pillows. I bring my owm but it is not really necessary. I do have to list some concerns. After using some of the hair/body products in the morning, I will put them away so I can get a new set the next day for my niece back home. When I stayed here Last year housekeeping forgot to replenish them so I had to call the front desk. This year, exactly the same. There was nothing when I got to my room last night. They did bring some when i called but they forgot the soaps (did not ask him to go back) and had replaced my favorite matin + goetz shower gel and peppermint shampoo with a generic Morgan hotel one - I was very disappointed becauseci love this shampoo. After the guy left and I wanted to wash my face, I realized that housekeeping forgot to replenish the wash cloth so I had to make another call. Then a quick call out about the shower. Nice and big but it took forever to get the right temperature water and the pressure was dismal. Oh, one last thing. I bring my own pillow an both pillow and my two piece pjs were neatly placed on my bed when I left in the morning but when I came back last night both pillow were rolled up an stuffed next to my bed table on the floor. I was very upset about that because it is not very hygienic. I had planned to come back next time but based on this latest I'm not so sure. The shampoo thing seems so trivial to some but the kinds of products a hotel carries does weigh into decision whether or not I will stay in a particular hotel.
J.Emerson, room 1507

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank jsklnknbrg
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Anyone in business knows that excellence in service to your customer base is only part of the long term goal. Consistency of excellence is the ultimate goal.

We stayed at the Ames again this past weekend. Again, just like the first time, incredibly friendly staff, superb accommodations, very clean, great bar and bar staff etc. From the moment they greet you at the door until they close your car door as you leave, a flawless stay. Hats off to management and staff --job well done!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I recently spent a week at the Ames - this was my second stay there, and I am again impressed by the overall quality of the hotel. This place is awesome for several reasons:
- the staff: every staff I ever met at the Ames was awesome. Friendly, professional, available and relax.
- the building/the rooms: The Ames building is beautiful architecturally speaking. A little something I truly appreciate it that there is no huge ugly sign with the name of the hotel on the building, so it somehow make you feel at home. The rooms are very comfy and sober, but feature little decorative details that make a difference.
- the breakfast: breakfast is complimentary, which seems to be pretty rare around there. In addition to that, the breakfast menu is actually quite awesome: I hugely appreciated the fact that the food was very healthy (choice of fruits, excellent bagels, little vienoiseries) and nicely presented. I'm french and I know from my long-time experience of the US that quantity is too often favored over quality when dealing with food.
- the location: the hotel is at walking distance of any interesting place you would like to go in the center of Boston (Quincy Market, Downtown, Public Garden, even Back Bay is only 10-15min away). Another big advantage is that the Ames is close to every T (subway) line.
- the attitude: I experienced two different styles of good hotels in Boston: 1) overly-luxury ones in which the overdose of drapery and golden stuff gives you nausea, and 2) what is called "boutique", which most often means minimalistic/snobbish (and features random french words wherever possible). The Ames is outside of these two: it is the luxury hotel without the drapery, and the boutique hotel without the snob.

To summarize: modesty is the true elegance, and people at the Ames understood that. Thank you for this great stay, and I'll certainly return again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mouchniets
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed here for a week on business

1) Great modern layout
7) Conveniently located near Quaker Market and financial district
8) Pricey

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have really enjoyed my two day stay at the Ames over Thanksgiving. The building is interesting; and the loft room I had was very spacious and had great furniture, lovely views, a huge bathroom (shower and deep, generous tub) and lovely toiletries. Continental breakfast had boiled eggs, a generous selection of pastries, and prepared fruit.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Even the pre-arrival (probably computer prepared) emails felt very personal and I enjoyed reading them.

The hotel is in the older town hall area, with lots of restaurants. It is also an easy walk to the main shopping streets e.g. Boylston or Newbury (25 minutes stroll, and you can walk through parks) or to Loews cinema.

A very nice stay indeed.

Room Tip: We were given a loft room, top floor (15th) and had a lovely vista down the street to the Charles wi...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Ames is a lovely hotel in a central location. All the shops are in walking distance. The decor is modern. The rooms are spotless and spacious. The bar is lively. The staff are friendly. The down sides are Breakfast is not worth getting up for unfortunately and you have to pay for wifi in most rooms. However I would recommend and return.

Room Tip: The price per night seems high but that is because hotels are expensive in Boston.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple