“Fun Weekend Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #40 of 82 Hotels in Boston
NY
“Fun Weekend Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed here one Thanksgiving weekend and had a blast. This boutique hotel is located in a great area, in a beautiful old building which was renovated inside. It has a chic and funky vibe and we enjoyed cocktails and hot chocolate at the bar as well. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the beds were comfortable as well. We felt that we got a great experience for the money we spent and I'd recommend the Ames for a couple who wants to have a fun and romantic weekend getaway in Boston.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Bonheiden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed here in October. I found everything I was expecting but also nothing more. Pro:the location and the staff, they are very helpful and friendly even including the bell boys. The rooms: clean and hip. What is a bit underwhelming is the vibe. The lobby is cold and misses atmosphere. The adjacent bar/restaurant area is not that hip as I would expect for a $400+ room hotel. I arrived at 9pm-ish and didn't feel welcome because there was a lot of traffic to and from the bar. It felt like I was arriving in a bar that is renting some rooms on the side, while I think it's just the opposite. I also think the hotel misses extra's like: a bigger gym, maybe a bar that is not situated in the restaurant etc. Again; overall I was happy, but from a price/quality perspective I was nevertheless expecting just that tad more.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Hey folks, i stayed over with my wife and kid, booked a loft last minute. To make a long story short: i had problems with the room-safe, technician came promptly and solved the problem, refused to accept the tip and - that's the spirit - instead suggested that we write a nice review. So in compliance with the above, i am happy to return the favour.
1) room was excellent and spacious, adding another sleeper wasn't a problem. We got top floor which was great but had repercussions regarding the time for water to warm up in the shower. I guess the water pressure.
2) service - see above - excellent, professional and very helpful without imposing. Great atmosphere, very efficient.
3) location was a plus because its in the middle of the place and close to subway system. It's a bit off if you are into fancy shopping and other location off center might suit you better.
4) small breakfast buffet was included in the price and it was good quality, healthy food. So again a plus.
All in all, very nice hotel, would recommend it and would - most importantly - certainly look at availability or deals if i am in Boston.
One word about some comments on the bathrooms: i haven't encountered any of what has been said in the loft, i find glass showers normal ;)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

I just left the Ames this afternoon and came away mostly favorably impressed. First the staff: Each and every staff person with whom I interacted was top notch. Not a single complaint. Period. I'm a fussy traveller and usually have some staff issues. Not here. Second, the room: Hip and modern but not rediculously so. The bed was not quite firm enough and the pillows were a touch too firm, but overall, not a bad combo. I was upgraded from a corner room to a suite, which was a nice gesture except that I usually prefer one large room to two smallish rooms. This upgrade made me a tad claustrophobic. One room complaint: no electric sockets near the bed. I like to plug my iDevice next to my bed to charge and use as an alarm. Couldn't do that here. Not good. Also, I couldn't find a way to turn off the lights in the bedroom without having the bedside clock radio go off as well. Also not good. Noise: Yep , it's kind of noisy; even on the 14th floor, but as an ex New Yorker it wasn't a big deal. Better soundproofing would have been nice. Bathroom: I prefer more space, but it was more than adequate, and the openness didn't bother me as a solo. Good soap, lotion, etc. Breakfast: Free, decent choices AND La Columbe coffee! No complaints there. Location: Couldn't be better. All in all, the Ames may not please the traditionalists, but that's ok, because for those folks, there's a Marriott down the road somewhere. I'll take the Ames.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

Centrally-located hotel, walking distance to lots of sights, restaurants, etc. The room decor was modern and quite minimalist. Very good bed and pillows which made for a good nights sleep. Very very good shower - high water pressure and good temperature. Don't share a room unless you're a couple, as the shower room is designed in quite an open way. Breakfast spread was rather standard. After a 3-night stay, breakfast became repetitive but it wasn't a big issue for me. We had a car with us, which needed to be valet-parked at quite a high daily rate, but I guess it comes with a big city.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Cypress, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

The Ames turned out to be a great central location to tour the Boston area. Most things were within walking distance. The Old State House was righ outside of our window. The hotel is quite modern and very clean. You will get some street noise, at least where we were on the 3rd floor facing Court St., and you can hear the T come and go from the underground station across the street. Still, this was not really bothersome. The one bedroom suite was huge. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

The Ames was in a perfect location, very close to the T so it was easy to get around. We are in our mid to late 40's and loved the clean and modern decor. It was not too stark or cold. The staff was courteous and helpful. We only stayed for two nights but will definitely return to the Ames and will consider other Morgan hotels in other cities.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
CateFarmer, General Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Thank you for your review! We are so glad you enjoyed your long weekend, the location, staff, breakfast and showers. Thank you for recommending Ames and we hope you visit us again soon!