“A new favorite!”

Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #41 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was the third hotel on a honeymoon-roadtrip and it is now a new favorite! Great staff, location and extremely beautiful rooms.

Presentation (5//5)
The most beautiful rooms I've seen in a hotel so far. Every little detail is meticulously planned and designed. We chose to upgrade to a room with arched windows, and it was well worth it. The room wasn't huge but it still felt like we were staying in a penthouse.

Service (5/5)
Everyone working at the Ames seemed friendly and helpful. The woman at the front desk was extremely friendly and it seemed like she worked long hours, because whenever we would leave or enter she was there to greet or help us. No complaints about room service or anything else and the valet was timely and friendly.

Room Service/Dining (5/5)
Honestly, we didn't eat much at the hotel with all the dining in Boston. We had cocktails and dessert in the Woodward which were good and the Ames has complimentary breakfast which is really great. The coffee was good, and it was all free! No complaints.

Location (5/5)
Located in the center of Boston, just seconds from Quincy Market and City Hall, the location of the Ames could not be better. We loved walking through Boston and the location of the hotel made it really easy to not have to rely on the car. Our view was incredible, so was this hotel.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a room with arched windows! Beautiful!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrendanMTL
NinaSweet, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Yay!! We love being the favorite! Montreal is not too far away so I see a beautiful future! Thank you for the wonderful breakdown; I'm so happy that we were able to score so highly in your mind! Please let me know if I can be of any help in the future!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Hadn't been to Boston in years, but recently travelled there with my husband for a wedding. Had a great time. Loved the Ames - nice rooms, great staff, terrific location. Would definitely return!

1  Thank Elizabeth M

Fabulous - I'm glad you finally came back to Boston and had a great experience with us! Come back soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Ames is perfectly situated to everything you need in Boston. It's near the train stations, near the harbor, right next to downtown...and it's a lovely hotel. The staff was absolutely wonderful and so willing to help with any question we had. The rooms aren't huge in any sort of way, but they are comfortable and modern, but not too modern where the furniture is uncomfortable. The only complaint I had was that in the bedroom, the bathroom/shower area is all glass and there is only a curtain that separates the bathroom from the bedroom so you can see into the bathroom from anywhere in the room. But, if you're comfortable enough with your travel partner, then it's no big deal. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much! I'm glad that had such a great stay with us! As a reminder about our baths, we do have rooms that don't have glass walls - many of them have frosted glass for privacy. Let me know when you're coming back and I'll handle your reservation!

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Had a wonderful weekend in Boston at the Ames Hotel and everything about it was superb. Lindsay at the front desk greeted us with a smile and a warm welcome. Craig, the on duty manager worked out a small reservation problem we had and Charles, the concierge took care of our biking and eating needs. Everyone went out of their way to make our stay memorable.
The hotel itself is aesthetically beautiful in a simple way. The deluxe room was spacious and sexy. The bed was perfect and the sheets cool and comfortable. We enjoyed the free continental breakfast which was surprisingly good and unexpected. Would not hesitate to stay here again and highly recommend this wonderfully located hotel when in Boston.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are very spacious and cost very little to upgrade once at the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Excellent! Thank you so much! I love your comments about the staff; they really are the best part. When you miss us, email me at nina dot sweet at mhgc dot com and I'll help you out myself with reservations!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Fablous hotel - the decor is super modern. I thought it looked just like the apartment in American Psycho! All white room, all black bathroom. Very cool. The staff was very helpful on check in. The products are all Malin & Goetz, which are so nice & smell amazing. I could have spent my entire time in the bathroom. Incredible shower!! There is no shower door or curtain, but surprisingly, you don't need it!! The only absolutely peculiar thing was that there is glass separating the shower from the room. So you can see whomever is showering while you're in the room. While there is a semi-opaque curtain that one can pull over the glass for "privacy," if the light is on in the bathroom, you can pretty much see whatever is going on in there. That being said though, it was such a nice place that this did not bother me.
Bed was very comfortable. No noise issues at all (we were on 14th floor facing State Street). There is a continental breakfast that was included with our stay that was delicious. Hard boiled eggs, delicious breads, granola & yogurt. Definitely a nice selection for a free continental. The location is great - just a short walk to Quincey market and the north end. Very central location for seeing all the sites.
I should point out that the place is not very easy to spot. We drove past it twice before we found it. There is no large awning or name on the building, really. "Ames Building" is etched into the stone of the building over the door, but this is hard to see as you're driving by, particularly at night. The hotel does not have free wifi, which is ridiculous considering it was not a cheap stay; but overall this is an excellent property & I would certainly stay here again.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

This might be the best review title in history. I absolutely love the comparison!! You wrote a fabulous, comprehensive review...there's not much else for me to say except thank you! Oh, and to let others know that we do have rooms that don't have the glass shower wall - some of our rooms have frosted glass walls. If you'd prefer one or the other, just make sure to give the front desk a call so that we can notate your request! Please come back soon!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

I had booked through priceline.com and for some reason upon arrival, Ames Hotel had no record of my reservation. Luckily the manager had remedied this by giving my bf and me a free upgrade.

The rest of the trip went smoothly, the customer service at the hotel continued to be great. The hotel was very clean and king size bed very comfortable. Great room design for a couple, not sure if the see-thru shower (with a sliding curtain for discretion) would be suitable with children around.

Because of the location of this hotel I would surely book again. It was within walking distance to a lot of tourist attractions like the freedom train, new england museum, boston harbor, and many excellent restaurants like Neptune Oyster and Maria's bakery. My bf and I had wonderful time expoloring the downtown area by foot. Great stay!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Fantastic! I'm so sorry about the confusion with your reservation but I'm so glad we were able to get it fixed for you! With regards to the showers, we do have rooms that have frosted glass doors for our more modest guests. Next time you're back in Boston, please be sure to email me in advance and I can assist with your booking!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed in Boston at the Ames for 5 nights. As there is no signage it did take us a moment to make sure the cab driver had dropped us off at the right place! We requested a quiet room away from families which was granted with no problems. The room are not huge but adequate . The shower is impressive with a rain head shower, really lovely! We found the room to be quiet and very clean, the bed is very comfortable. We enjoyed a couple of drinks at the bar. It has a great atmosphere especially if you can get an outside table to enjoy the view of the gorgeous surrounding buildings. The staff were able to recommend some great local restaurants. The breakfast is served in a lovely modern room. Friendly staff and great food.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review! You hit all the important parts it seems, I'm glad we were able to recommend some great restaurants for you to go to! It was so great having you with us.