“Horrific Experience”
Review of 5 North Square

5 North Square
Ranked #117 of 3,202 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: North End
Transit: Haymarket, Aquarium, & Government Center T Stations within walking distance.
Chicago, Illinois
“Horrific Experience”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I recently attempted to dine here while in Boston and was extremely disappointed at my experience. It was their 4th night into a new menu. This restaurant had come highly recommended for it's traditional Italian food but sadly, the new menu did not reflect anything tradtional. There wasn't even Chicken Vesuvio on the menu. Scampi served with julienne vegetables, not pasta??? We decided not to order dinner and waited for our appetizer. Our Calamari came it was was a greasy pile of 6 small rings of what looked more like onion rings from a bad greasy spoon, for $15.00. we sent it back and left to search out another Italian restaurant in the North End. We were 2 blocks away from Gennaros when a man ran up to us and started screaming and swearing at us for leaving the restaurant!!! I have never been subjected to such poor treatment in my life at a restaurant, especially a higher end one. To chase us down the street...really???

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Becks1031

“Great option, if you like Italian food”
Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Great place to go..!
The food was great the service is nice, y came here based on a recommendation from a friend, and it worth it..!

1 Thank Pelimeo
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Great food, great staff, great location”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We stumbled across this cosy little Italian while walking the Freedom Trail after visiting Paul Revere's house and decided to give it a try.

From the moment you walk in, all the staff make you feel so welcome and at ease - nothing was too much trouble for them (which is really something if you're travelling with my grandmother!!). There was a good range of food choices on the menu which should suit most tastes (pastas, chicken dishes, fish dishes etc). Drinks and bread were regularly topped up throughout the evening.

Our main meals arrived just a short time after us ordering them and were all freshly made, piping hot and well presented, but most importantly they all tasted delicious! The portion sizes were also good - not over the top but still too much for me to clear my plate!

A truly nice touch during the evening was our chef coming to check that we were enjoying our food and asking if there was anything else she could do for us.

I would fully recommend Gennaro's if you are looking for great food, great staff and a cosy atmosphere while it not costing the earth.

I will definitely look this restaurant up again if I am ever in the area.

Thank you to all the staff for making our evening so enjoyable (and for looking after Grandma and sharing in your Asian dancing experience!!)

• Visited September 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“asns”
Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

For the guy with the complaint about gratuity , you should go shoot yourself, stay home and open the wine yourself, this people they have family to, there is no restaurant in US charging tips on taxes,it is impossible

1 Thank ronin_crys
Fairway, KS
“Good Food, Good Service, Very Poor Policy”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Just took out my wife, two daughters and two of their friends out to dinner. The location, the food and the waiter were good to very good. However, the evening was spoiled when I got the bill. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't the biggest deal in the world, but there was an automatic 20% service charge added to the bill even though I was not told about the policy before we sat down and it wasn't spelled out on the menu.

I don't like automatic services charges, especially when wine is involved. Does it require more work to open a $45 bottle of wine versus a $30 bottle of wine? In this case, we had two $45 bottles of wine.

However, what really drove me crazy is that I was charged 20% on the Massachusetts tax!!! Bottom line is that I was charged 20% on the Bar, Food AND the TAX!! When I pointed this out to the Manager, he said that charging a service fee on the Tax was standard practice. I said he could donate the service charge that I paid on the tax to a charity and instead of agreeing with me, he tried to defend the practice. How absurd!

I really don't like being taken advantage of and the practice of charging a service fee on a tax is WRONG!!!

I will never go back to this restaurant. The management cares much more about a few extra dollars than pleasing its customers. TOO BAD!

• Visited October 2012