“Whatever, Whenever!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Floyd, VA
“Whatever, Whenever!”
Reviewed May 10, 2010

I do business a great deal in the Boston area, but I'd never really stayed in the city, nor experienced any nightlife, so I thought during my last trip, I would tack on a night and cash in some Starwood Lodging points. I picked the W based on the reputation I'd heard elsewhere about their personalized service and modern rooms. I was not disappointed.

I had reserved a regular corner room, and when we arrived, we had been upgraded to one of two WOW corner suites in the hotel. WOW is right! The room, or rooms, were immaculate, clean, modern, with every convenience you could imagine. The room, for lack of a better description, was decadent! A complete luxury. What was even MORE impressive was the service, however.

The W hotels have the reputation for making every wish come true, "so long as it's legal." This is so true! If they don't have what you want on the menu, they get it from another place. If you wish to have a Dt. Mountain Dew, or Starbucks, or whatever, on your doorstep at a specific time, it is there. Whatever you wish. And what I found was, in some cases, at no extra charge. Surprise! And they have a guest database which keeps track of your wishes, so if I were to stay with them again, my Dt. Mt. Dew would simply arrive at 7am. Wow! There is a HUGE amount of attention to detail from the staff, from switching out welcome floor mats in elevators according to the time of day, to having a PERSONAL wake up call (remember those days?) with a cheery voice reminding you to take your umbrella with you if it's a rainy day.

Overall, I now know, after staying just once, that I would choose this luxury brand over any other going forward. I was that impressed. On other notes, the location was great....within walking distance to many sites, and the club downstairs seemed to be THE place to be in the evenings. And despite the "hotness" of the location and hotel, it is without a doubt one of the most quiet I've been in recently. WOW!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
paris
Reviewed May 8, 2010

Rooms good. Nice ipod dock and phone chargers. Light switches are badly designed and coordinated. No bath but showers are good. The hotel is located on a busy intersection and main bus lane. Altough brand new there is no noise isolation. Also you can hear the door of other rooms slamming. This is a real miss. So ask for quiet room. Market restaurant is really nice and great food. Ok as business hotel.

• Stayed May 2010
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Staff where rude and brash, room had a former customers sneeze residue over the wall of a corner room AND THE NOISE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT ON A FRIDAY/SAT NIGHT will make you want to move to another hotel for some peace and quite!!
Sadly the whole stay in the hotel was very dissapointing especially as it is only 6mths old.
The one thing worth checking out is the front bar, just stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2010

After a 17 hour flight from Japan, I wanted rest and peace. My stay was very comfortable down to the bath gel, an aromatic sage citrus. Concierge was the BEST, always providing useful information for shows and how to get around. Nice edgy crowd in the evenings at the bar/hotel desk. Getting around Boston is a snap with the tram 5 minutes walk away.
I had one small issue with room service. Ordered one thing, ended up with something else. When I initially asked to have what I had not ordered removed from my bill, I thought the matter was closed. It was messy and not worth writing more about, but it was frustrating that I made three trips to the desk to address the matter.

All in all, definitely more positives than negatives. Would stay again.

Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank harmonyeternal
Victoria, Minnesota
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Just wanted to send a quick thank you to all the staff at the W hotel in Boston. A group of 8 of us girls came down to watch a few of them
run in the marathon a couple weeks ago. We had great service at the hotel. All your staff were super friendly and helpful. Noah Derstien was very pleasant and helpful in setting us up at a few nightclubs and with ideas of things to see and places to go. He was always smiling and cheeerful.
Brittany, I believe that is her name, was also very friendly and helpful when we were in the hotel boutique.
I will recommend to all my friends to stay at the W hotel in Boston when traveling there. We are looking forward to our next stay in
the future.

Regards,
Junelle Grindberg

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Portland, Maine
Reviewed April 29, 2010

As sent to hotel management following our stay:

Hi,

Just wanted to drop you a quick note to let you know much we enjoyed our recent stay. My wife and I travel a lot and have stayed at any number of top-end hotels (and many, many other Ws); our stay in Boston over the Marathon weekend was among the most enjoyable hotel experiences we've ever had. Kudos to the staff, all of whom were helpful, pleasant and professional. Also thanks much for the special efforts shown to runners -- right down to the crown in our room on our return.

Again, exceptional stuff, well done. And thanks,

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Petaluma, CA
Reviewed April 21, 2010

We arrived for 3 nights to attend the Boston Marathon. First of all the people who work at the "W" do a great job, and were very accommodating to the Marathoners. I found all employees to be very helpful and knowledgeable, but this hotel has some serious physical issues.

The room layout is very cold modern. The previous reviewer had it down, " First impression was, "Wow" very modern, contemporary. Unfortunately, the rooms were very small; lighting was kinda cool, but not practical. The light switches were that you had to turn on the main lights in order for the bathroom lights to work. In the middle of the night, this isn't good!" It is a standard rectangle design with the bathroom on the right as you enter. Originally I thought the electrician wired the room wrong. To turn on the bathroom lights the hotel room main light must be turned on (as mentioned by the previous reviewer). This turning on of the main light turns on a monster light above one of the beds, it turns on the bathroom light and the toilet room light. Since there were two of us in the room this would wake up the other sleeper in the middle of the night. The only way around it was to turn on the makeup mirror. The next problem was that bathroom was not fully enclosed (the W uses cloth to separate part of the main bath area from the sleeping area) so this light would light up the bedroom. Thankfully, there was a door on the toilet, but there was no light switch. So the person in the toilet had to turn on all of the lights in the hotel room to see what they were doing. Pretty crazy huh? If It that was not enough the sink was poorly designed. When turning the water on full; water would spill over the sink on to the counter top.

As for work space in the room there is very little. There is so much mini bar junk hanging all over the desk that there is barely enough room to set up a computer. Internet is not free, so I headed down to the lobby for free Internet access. The lobby is nice with lots of great nooks and crannies for individual or small group space. One thing that drove me nuts was the driving techno music coming out of the sound system. It was perfect for creating a magnificent headache. Plus at one point the manager turned it up and I started having suicidal thoughts. How can one focus on mundane business issues when listening to this dribble?

Even though I ripped the hotel pretty good, I really have to applaud the staff. The hotel was spotless. The condition of the rooms and facilities was excellent, and they win an award for the nicest workout room that includes great equipment and ventilation.

Don't go here unless you are alone, between the ages of 25 and 45, love techno, and you like funky hair and tattoos.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business