“Couldn't have asked for more.” 5 of 5 stars

W Boston
Ranked #25 of 82 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Providence, RI
“Couldn't have asked for more.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2010

I brought my wife to the W for the week of our anniversary. It was perfect. We've stayed at the Park Plaza in the past, but I figured I'd try the W since it was new. It was a great choice. The room was amazing. Super modern, beautiful AND comfortable. There was a huge shower AND a big tub, so while I showered my wife was able to soak in the tub. The rooms were good sized too, much bigger than the W in NY (which cost twice as much). The bed was more comfortable than ours at home, with a nice thick feather bed under very soft sheets.
We spent some time in the lounge too, also very modern, a great place for a cocktail (even if you're not staying at the hotel).
All of the service staff was excellent and friendly. They know what they're doing. It was quite impressive without being in your face. A perfect balance.
It's also in a great location. We took a short walk to Newbury Street and did some shopping, went to Chinatown for some Dim Sum for lunch, very well situated. We even ended up going to a show at the Wang Theater right across the street.
We didn't get a chance to eat there, but the menu look incredible . . . next time. We will be back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

We live in the suburbs of Boston and decided to check into the W for a weekend of fun in the city. Unfortunately, this W Hotel does not live up to all the recent hype or the other W/Starwood properties. Our room was located on the 19th floor and was a bit disappointing. The bathroom area was small with extremely poor lighting and limited counter space (shower was large w/ great water pressure). The desk in the room was loaded with all kinds of "paraphernalia" for purchase - including a bottle of wine, a baseball hat and a bottle of water for $7. Who wants all of that stuff cluttering up the top of the desk?? The room was adequate in size - however, certainly not a room I would want to spend more than 2 nights in. In addition, the outside noise from the streets below was definitely noticeable. We heard the constant buzzing of fire engines, horns and sirens. It's important to know that the hotel lobby turns into a nightclub in the evening with huge lines of W-wannabees waiting outside. The health club was a plus with state of the art equipment and free weights. Overall, it was a pleasant stay ~ however, I will not be returning.

Rockport, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

This stay way my first at a W. The staff were extremely helpful. The hotel was clean, modern, luxury. if you ever stay here you should try the cheese cake a little expensive but it was the best I have ever had. For now on when I come in to Boston about every other month I now know where I’m staying hats off to the staff and management!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
New Yawk City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2009

Just came back from 5 nights at the W Boston. Having been to W hotels in NY and Hong Kong, I've come to fully understand what makes these hotels unique. This was the only reason why we chose to try out the new W Boston for our stay in Boston. My level of expectation was where it should've been - outstanding service, outstanding attention to detail, outstanding decor and outstanding amenities. As soon as we checked into our room, I was left ill-satisfied on all accounts.

I will start off by saying that if comparing the W Boston to other hotel chains like the Sheraton or Hilton, it was a decent hotel. The room itself was very spacious. But I would've traded a smaller space for all the unique qualities that make it worthy of being called a W. If you have stayed at other W Hotels before, the W Boston WILL be a major disappointment.

Here is a list of the things that were subpar to a real W's standards:

The people that manned the front desk were just simply doing their jobs. They looked up your info, gave you your room key, and that's about it. Didn't crack a smile, didn't want to seem too friendly. The W Hotel's mantra is "Whatever, Whenever". I don't think the front desk got the memo.

As soon as we get to our room, my mind started buzzing around noticing all the little things that was missing in the so-called W room. Where were the automatic light buttons by the bedside? (you had to literally get up from bed all the way to the front door to shut the lights off. Boo.) Where were the cool modern gadgets? Where were the cool home furnishings? The decor in this room was very 'corporate' and 'business-man' like, which is FINE if we were staying at a Sheraton.

And there was a very strange wall hanging of a haunted forest next to the bed and a weird poem about ravens and birds printed on the inside bathroom wall. Definitely not romantic, and definitely not cool.

There were no slippers in the room and no toothbrush kits in the bathroom, so we had to call the front desk for those. They ran those up to our room in lightning speed, but they were supposed to already be in the room!

There was something "off" about the down comforter. My husband and I plopped down on the bed after a 6 hour bus ride, and i noticed thousands of tiny little feathers dancing in the air. And everytime we moved the comforter the slightest bit, (even just getting in and out of bed), the air would be filled with tiny feathers. I know that this is not a problem with high quality comforters, since they finished the seams with double and triple reinforcements. I saw the feathers on everything - the black nightstand, our water glasses, our clothes....

We took one look at the room service menu and we knew we would never be ordering food to our room during the stay. If you are on a corporate expense account, knock yourself out. But $28 for 2 eggs and potatoes? No thank you.

Also, the Bliss Spa was not opened yet. Major bummer. There should've been a notice about that on the starwood website, but there wasn't.

The gym was pretty small but not too many people were there during the hours we were working out, so we had the run of the place. It would've been nice if the gym were on a higher floor so we aren't looking out to a red brick building while we're working out. It's small things like this that make a hotel feel special. Another lost point here.

There is free wifi in the Lounge, so we would go there with our laptops in the morning. I was pretty surprised that they didn't have any food/drink service in the morning. They didn't open until noon. So where are we supposed to get our coffee from? The $9 drip coffee from room service? I would've been annoyed if I were on a business trip. But we were not, so we went across the street to Starbucks every morning.

The lounge gets packed at night and is very lively.

Our key card kept getting deactivated for some reason, and every time we went to the front desk to get it fixed, it was the same woman asking us the same questions. Either she didn't recognize us each time, or she was being an unaccommodating pain. I don't know which is worse. And never offered an apology for our inconvenience. Seriously?

Doormen - there were about 4-5 of them standing around the door at all times. But how is it that more than half the time we came in and out of the hotel, we opened those heavy doors by ourselves. More than half!

The one really good thing about the W Boston was the location. We found it convenient to everything. Also, the Rock Bottom Bar across the street had a great selection of beers and delicious food. Highly recommended.

Next time in Boston, we will stay at the Nine Zero hotel. This W Hotel was a total bust and overall very disappointing. Never again, W Boston!

• 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank SandyToesNY
Halifax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

We stayed at the W Hotel for 3 nights in December. Main reason for the choice was the good deal we got on the room for booking before it opened in September.
We had a lovely corner room with floor to ceiling windows on 2 sides. The room was spacious and as you would expect very modern. The room was equipt with every mobile phone charger on the market, a huge flat screen tv, a lovely double shower, and what has to be the comfiest bed I've ever slept on.
The welcome was welcoming, the room was cleaned well every day, the staff tried to be helpful, not sure they were that knowledgable though - i've started to expect the kind of knowledge I get from the TA forums!
We ate one day in the restaurant for breakfast, $60 for 2 breakfasts - I didn't really rate it, breakfast is breakfast I don't get the point of trying to make it fancy - half my plate was full of a baby tomato salad and the crispy potatoes were undercooked in the middle.
The hotel is well positioned, we were close to Newbury St, the common and Copley Plaza.
The main problem with he hotel was the noise, this maybe due to the floor to ceiling windows. Our room was looking over the Comedy Stop which seemed to kick everyone out at the same time...2am, I've never heard a noise like it, we were 10 flrs up too! The Comedy Stop only seems to be on Friday and Saturday night so if your planning to stay durin the week you shouldn't have a problem!
All in all we had a good stay at the W. I just wish they had put some Christmas decorations up!

2 Thank Dippster
Curitiba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

The hotel was amazing, the concierge perfect. The bar and the restaurant were always full with beuatifull and weel dressed people... I recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

The W Boston should have been better for me, but it's probably my own fault that it wasn't the right fit. I needed a quality room with a comfortable bed to get a good night's sleep on a weekend, but I wasn't prepared for the noise coming from the bar below and from the traffic and street life. My room was even facing the back of the hotel, and the noise was still intolerable. If you're going to stay here, treat it as a nightclub with an attached hotel. It'll help if you are visiting friends who live in the area so that you don't have to spend your whole time in the hotel. Overall, the whole place was just slightly off. It didn't feel like the designers worked well together to synthesize everything. The space in the room felt confused and maze-like. The quality of the furnishing felt like one step up from Ikea. Entering the hotel was awkward because it is in the middle of the block across from one of the worst lower-level mall/office buildings in the city. With that said, the staff was nice, and I have had worse service at nicer hotels. The room service was nice; the food arrived hot with a friendly attendant. Apart from the noise, the only unsettling part of the overall experience was getting a room that someone before me had obviously come in, sat down, and decided it wasn't right for him. The indentations in the bed and a baggage claim check were proof thereof. I'm not so picky as to request that the room be made up again, but you would at least expect them to check a room that someone else has entered and refused. I think that I would probably choose a stuffier corporate hotel over this one unless I was coming to the city to party for the weekend.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business