New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

W Boston
Ranked #25 of 82 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Las Vegas, Nevada
““Above and Beyond My Expectations””
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I’ve been a SPG member since 2009 because of a couple stays at a few Starwood hotels here and there, but none of the stays convinced me to be a loyal to their line of hotels. However, this hotel experience has changed that forever. Once I was hand delivered my complimentary, delicious red-velvet cupcake and hand-written, custom-tailored note, I was HOOKED. I immediately called SPG customer service to have them re-activate my SPG account, because I am booking with Starwood as much as possible from now on (and I am hoping my experience will be just as good or greater in the future as well).

I found no problems with the room design; the bathroom was chic and private (although I would have loved a large tub), and the master lighting controls were easy and simple to use and not bothersome at all. In fact, I applaud them for the “vanity” area right by the bathroom entrance. There is a mirror with perfect lighting for applying make-up (real important for cosmetic buffs like me) and a groovy shelf that will hold all your products while you beautify yourself. Better than leaning against the sink counter trying to get a good look at yourself in the mirror. I don’t think people realize there is a mirror RIGHT THERE in there face that they can use for these purposes. The best of all was the bed. The comforter was fluffy and soft, and for a split second my brain was tricked into thinking the hotel mistakenly placed a waterbed instead of a mattress in my room (no exaggeration).
Considering the area, outside noise was minimal, and my room was facing the main street (which was hustling and bustling that Friday night). I was also on the 8th floor. The loudest sound I heard were sirens, they were kind of annoying, but what can you do? Tell them to shut up? There are plenty of restaurants, cafes, boutiques down the street so there are plenty of things to get yourself into without going to far off.

Only thing that irked me is that they had no rooms available when I checked in at 1pm and was noted that I would receive a call when a room is ready. I never received the call. Since I do a lot of red-eye flights, meaning often arriving in town early, having to wait to check-in when I just want to pass out on the lobby sofa is just a big downer for me. Luckily I stopped by the Thinking Cup and got myself a latte and that perked me up and decided to return an hour and a half later just to do a progress report. What do you know, my room was ready! Unless it was just good timing on my part, I would have really appreciated that call.

Oh, and internet is $15/day. Please please please do something about this. I wouldn’t even mind, like $10/day. $15 is ridiculous.

Thanks W Boston, for making my stay lovely and enjoyable! See you next year!

Room Tip: Of course, there's always the corner room recommendation and high floors should help with noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
MGabree, Director of Operations at W Boston, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Wow! Awesome review. Let's do it again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sackville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We recently spent 2 nights in Boston to attend a concert at the TD Garden and selected this hotel. Staff were accommodating, hotel was very clean, new with all the amenities including the Bliss Spa on site. Bonus being the Bliss products in room (value of $14.00)!! Garage parking an additional $47.00 per night with valet parking only. Although we didn't visit the bar or restaurant, on Sat evening the bar on site is extremely busy. No sound travels beyond that area though. Hotel is located on the edge of China Town with few good restaurants in the area, requiring walking or cab to other areas. Although a nice hotel, I would select something closer to the market and other attractions, especially in winter as walking is very cold. Cab to Italian area and Garden $8.00.

Room Tip: 4th floor was great, gym on same floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
MGabree, Director of Operations at W Boston, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
Thanks for the solid review. In terms of the neighborhood, next time look no further than the W Lounge or our restaurant, Market, you won't be disappointed.
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have to take a moment to share how special the time was last weekend in Boston and how much I wanted to thank the W Hotel for such excellent hospitality and service!

Once again, every single staff member from the valet to the Concierge, to the front desk staff, to the Bellhops, and housekeeping; Were pleasant, helpful, supportive and exuded positive energy!

I especially appreciated the wonderful chocolates that was sent to my Suite to commemorate all of my stays at the W property's since be a SPG member!

Because your property is located in my hometown where I grew up, I will always have a very special place in my heart for you your staff, and the hotel.
It gives new meaning to the term; Homecoming.

Please know how deep my appreciation is for everything that you did to make my stay unforgettable!!!

Best Warmest Regards;
Mitch
SPG Lifetime Platinum

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank BabaDas
MGabree, Director of Operations at W Boston, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thanks for the awesome review, Mitch! I'm so happy that our Talent welcomed you home and took care of you with our brand of contemporary Boston hospitality.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Second time in Boston in the past few years and I liked the location of the hotel. It's one block the the Boston Common right in the heart of the theater district. From the hotel everywhere in Boston is basically walkable. Rooms are a little larger than most standard hotel rooms and are very clean. W prides itself on being trendy which in my opinion is somewhat of excuse to substitute fashion for quality but overall the hotel is an excellent choice for a quick trip to Boston. Also, the hotel is extremely dog friendly so if you're traveling with man's best friend you're in luck.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thanks for the solid review. See you again soon!
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I will never stay at a W Hotel again - especially the W in Boston. The staff is useless, the rooms are moderate at best, the walls are paper thin, the food is below average and the service is terrible. I was traveling on business with my colleague after escaping the devastation of Hurricane Sandy. We were looking forward to some sleep but couldn't get any due to the blaring music from the frat-like atmosphere in the room next door. After contacting management at 2 am, the music was turned off for a few moments then it resumed. We called again and the same thing happened. We were offered the opportunity to move into a new room at 3 am (REALLY?!) but declined the inconvenience. When we addressed the situation with the powerless young person at the front desk, she told us that the hotel followed protocol and that there was nothing they could do. As part of the Starwood brand, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Some other things to note:
-No local magazines in the room (had to go to the front desk)
-Front desk couldn't tell us where the best local shopping was
-They ran out of coffee and tea three times during our two-day conference
-They offer you points if you don't have your room cleaned (it's "environmentally friendly')
-They charge guests for Internet access
-There are no coffee makers in the rooms
-The hair dryers are cheap and useless
-Even on the 14th floor you can hear tons of noise from outside at night

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GinaRubel
Gina, thanks for the constructive feedback. I'm glad that we are working towards a resolution off-line and look forward to maintaining your loyalty to Starwood.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

The walls in this W are paper thin. I was traveling with my colleague on business to a conference at this hotel. We were not able to sleep well at all because of the nightclub that was happening in the room next to ours on the 14th floor. We complained but it made little difference. Management wrote us an apology note. Exhausted on our 2nd morning and facing a 6+ hour drive home, we discussed some type of reimbursement with the powerless front desk staff who stonewalled us and went into the back room to talk with the manager. Manager later came out but didn't address us at all. Strange customer service for a luxury hotel. Will never stay at an overly image-conscious W again - definitely not worth the cost, stress & exhaustion.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
Thanks for your feedback. And please accept my apology for the excessive noise. We do everything in our power to mitigate noise from inside and outside of the hotel but this is not always within our control. Thank you for your business and if there is anything I can personally do for you please don’t hesitate to ask.
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Had a great stay at the W Boston earlier in the year. Great location in the city. Very stylish and funky hotel, with great little touches, exceptionally helpful and friendly staff staff. Made good use of their free shuttle bus within their 5 mile radius. Lucky enough to get a upgraded room. Very comfortable rooms although the bathroom lacked a little privacy when the room was in darkness and the light in the bathroom was on. Had no problems with regards to street noise as did other reviewers, but maybe we were just lucky Grat breakfast in the Market restaurant downstairs. Will definitely book into this hotel again if we travel back to Boston.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
MGabree, Director of Operations at W Boston, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Hi Paul D.,

Thanks for the fab review. Sounds like you had an awesome stay – let’s do it again soon.