“Great W experience”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Syracuse, NY
“Great W experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here for two nights with some friends for a guy's weekend. I had a really good experience from start to finish. Actually, probably one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. Nothing extraordinary made my experience so go well, but everything just 'worked'. No surprises, no problems, and no complaints whatsoever.

We had two "Wonderful" rooms, each with two queen beds. The rooms were big, clean, had the familiar W style, and everything else you would expect being at a W.

The bathroom was great - plenty of room and very clean. The toilet is in a separate "room", which I don't understand why more hotels don't do that. It is a great feature. My only semi-complaint is that there is only a perforated screen between the bathroom and the room. So there was really very little privacy once you got out of the shower. Not a huge deal, but could be awkward under some circumstances.

I'm definitely not very familiar with Boston - but I can get around. So, from my relatively limited point of view, I thought the hotel was in a great location. Close enough to walk to Newbury Street, Boston Common, etc. There is a little food court across the street that had some good places to grab a bite, too. The bar in the lobby is pretty cool and has plenty of scenery, but bring your wallet.

Although I didn't use it, the fact that they charge $14.95 a day for WiFi is insane. The cheaper Starwood properties have free WiFi, but the nice (expensive) ones overcharge you for it. And don't even get me started on the prices for the minibar.

Room Tip: I had their "lowest" room available, and it was great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
MGabree, Director of Operations at W Boston, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Loved this: "probably one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had". I'm so proud of the team and so glad that you enjoyed our central location and Whatever/Whenever experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Bayonne, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

THIS IS A GREAT HOTEL - First time staying here last night was a treat. I'm usually more of a Westin guy who likes his Zen, but the W Boston may have me rethinking that position.

HOTEL OVERVIEW
Unlike many of the W Hotels out there, the W Boston didn't have a lobby full of techno trance music when I walked in. Instead, it felt like I was a VIP being welcomed into THE club. From door staff to check-in team and all the way to the Whatever, Whenever operator, I felt important and appreciated.

THE STORY
What made this stay really special started back before I checked in. After the auto-generated email from the general manager asking me to ask for anything I needed, I received a more personal email from Elena one of the W Insider team members. She asked if there was she could do to make my stay wonderful and there was. Last Friday I had knee surgery and I'm still less than 100% a week later. So, I responded to her email and mentioned the surgery and a very early train to catch and she went into action.

ABOVE AND BEYOND
In less than a day, Elena wrote back saying that she assigned a special accessible room (an upgraded type too) that was near the elevators (less walking/hobbling for me) and offered to book me into the W's Acura Experience for the ride to Boston South Station to catch my train. At first, I didn't appreciate what this meant but when checking in, I sure found out.

The room was AMAZING. Huge space, massive bathroom with a walk-in shower (no bending knees over a tub wall) and a little something extra. Waiting on the desk was a handwritten note and present from in a BLISS SPA bag. Elena had written me a get well soon note and included a bottle of BioFreeze to help with the healing. How thoughtful is that? She listened to what I said, figured out how she could help, and was empowered to take action. This is custom service and I felt very special right then. THANK YOU ELENA!

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE
I ducked out for dinner and sometime in space after I left, someone from the house team left another handwritten note thanking me for my SPG loyalty and hitting a milestone in lifetime stays. Along with the note was a bottle of Fiji water and a Salted Chocolate square that was the perfect dessert to top off the night. At this point, I didn't think things could get better, and then I laid down in the famous W Bed and was in heaven.

SUMMARY
All in all, a short but memorable stay and proof that great customer service that is engaged and demonstrates that they CARE will always make someone's day better. Thank you to Bill the GM for putting together a great team and for empowering them to go the extra mile for us guests that choose to stay in the SPG family. And a big thank you to Elena and the house team for making the little things mean a lot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank James C
MGabree, Director of Operations at W Boston, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Wow! Awesome experience from start to finish. I loved reading your review - thank you.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

This hotel is your typical W hotel. And I don't mean that in a bad way. The staff is fabulous. I checked out and left keys in my room. Luckily, I had a day of meetings in the area and discovered that the keys were missing. I called the hotel and confirmed that they had my keys! I stopped by on my way to the airport, got my keys and life was good.

That aside, the rooms are a good size with a nice work area and comfy beds. The bar/lounge area is pretty swanky (what else would you expect?).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Kehau R
Great review - thanks a million. See you again soon!
Franklin, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I stayed here on the 4th of July for one night. The service was great, the staff helpful and friendly, the room clean and nicely appointed. They even have a car service to take you within the local radius complimentary. We book a ride, but were late, so they released our reservation. When we showed up, they apologized and payed our taxi fare to our destination, even though it was our error. Would go there again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lisabach77
Don't wait until July to come back! Come see a show and stay the night. See you soon.
canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

location was good, reastaurants, theatre, public gardens all within 5 min walk.
Jennifer the concierage was very friendly and helpful , she helped with tour info, tickets and dinner suggestions.we stayed three nights and everything was smooth. sat night music in lobby very loud.
Brian at the front desk was also very friendly and helpul,
We didnt eat there as it was expensive,The first night ordered glass of wine fron lobby bar with tip it was 19 dollars.

Room Tip: corner suite was quite spacious
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Great wines. Great times. They're not all that expensive by the way - so come back soon!
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We rocked up for from our travelling around the stunning coastline of New England, greeted with fabulous staff who were kind enough to get us a room with the corner view. The staff honestly couldn't do enough, were charming, the room was ridiculously luxurious & delivered the glamour that one expects from the W, and I honestly don't even know where to begin with the quality of the bedding! My husband & I have officially fallen in love with the pillows...we need some at home now!! Breakfast was perfect & we had found an amazing restaurant that was incredible in the hotel mag! Who could ask for more??? Thank you all at the W of Boston! It was great that we were so central & you made our lovely trip to the region even more memorable than it was before! Namaste.

Room Tip: the regular rooms are stunning so I can only imagine they get better and better, but our room was sp...
1 Thank BeaNYCNewYork
MGabree, Director of Operations at W Boston, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Wow! Awesome experience. Let's do it again soon. P.S., we sell the pillows at W The Store.
Georgetown, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had a "Wonderful" room at the W, and it certainly lived up to its name. The room was well designed, roomy, and very clean. We were impressed with the room, as well as the hotel from the moment we came in until the moment we left. The staff was really friendly, filled with good recommendations. The hotel is well-located for tourist activities, and is reasonably close to a couple of T stations. We'd love to stay there again when we return to Boston!

Room Tip: Rooms on the side opposite the Common are quieter.
1 Thank eloquentlight
5 star-experience! Thanks for the fab review.