“Hip Hotel with Bliss Spa” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of W Boston

W Boston
Ranked #27 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Hip Hotel with Bliss Spa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

I really enjoyed the W hotel. The rooms are small but nice and clean. The location is great. The hotel lobby has a great bar scene with plenty of restaurant and night life close by. A bonus is Bliss spa is located here

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

We were 2 couples staying at the W over St Pattys day weekend. We stayed for 4 nights and overall the experience was great ...just a few hiccups

THE GOOD

- check in with Jenn was friendly and she signed me up for Starwood Preferred guest and gave us 4 days of FREE WIFI ($15 a day)

- the rooms are very modern, they have a charging station for ALL types of phones (so leave yours at home), beds are super comfy, nice flat screen TV's with lots of channel options. Open concept room with large glass door showers. They use BLISS personal care products (very lemony)

- chic W lounge in the foyer is very cool place for after dinner drinks. has loungers, couches, chairs and a very cool bar with a good vibe

- you are located in the theatre district, so walking distance to lots of bars, restaurants. We went to a BRUINS game on Monday and even walked. Took about 25 min but it was so nice out. You are a block away from Boston Common park as well

- everyone staff member we encountered were all very friendly and helpful

The BAD

- I found the lighting in the room very strange. If you want to use the washroom, you have to light up half the room. This is not great if you are making a visit in the middle of the night OR early in the am.

- found the shower pressure to be a bit weak...but not a big deal

- as usual, the inroom amenities are ridiculously priced (but this is no different than any other hotel)

THE UGLY

- This is not the W hotels fault but since it was St Paddy's day weekend, the street noise was very loud and went very late. Our room faced STUART street and we were on the top floor (15th) . We heard police cars, sirens, loud yelling, partying etc.....I blame it on the weekend not the W. But it still meant interupted sleep.

- The doors are on the floors are very loud. When someone leaves or enters the doors slam and you can hear this throughout the floor. Not sure if this can be corrected. Just a comment

Overall, we really enjoyed the W and would recommend it to friends. I stayed here on points so I am not sure what the room rates are.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed here over St. Patricks day weekend, a Saturday into a Sunday. The main reason I was staying at this hotel was because we wanted to go to the parade on Sunday, and wake up close and not have to fight traffic. Sunday we were to check out, go to the parade, and then check into another hotel to then continue touring Boston. The majority of my bad review is due to the properties lack of ability to managing problems in the hotel. I understand that I checked into this hotel on St. Patricks day (read: party) weekend, but this is no reason for me to expect that parties would be allowed in guest rooms. I stayed on the 9th floor, and down the hall maybe two doors was a significant party happening. People in and out of the room all night, into 5am. Very loud. Called down to front desk to explain the problem, to be told that they would take care of the situation. This was certainly not something they took care of. Neither of us slept very much all night, making the parade something neither of us wanted to do in the morning. Because of this, we skipped it and continued to our next destination for sleep, even though the parade was the reason we stayed at this hotel. You check into a hotel like The W in an effort to get a good nights sleep. It's an upscale hotel, not a Motel 6, you expect more from them in terms on responsiveness to problems.

Additionally, the bathroom set up is a mess. I've stayed in plenty of hotels with "open concept" bathrooms, but this hotel really misses the mark. There is no way to turn on the light in the closed toilet without turning on a light that is visible from the bedroom area. This means when someone gets up to use the restroom in the middle of the night, they virtually have to turn on a light in the bedroom to do so.

If sleep is important to you, I'd think about looking elsewhere. Anyone can give you a good nights sleep when everything goes right, but when something goes wrong you want a hotel that takes care of the problems. W missed this mark.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
emg_1211, Front Office Manager at W Boston, responded to this review, March 25, 2012
Hello - I read your review about the W Boston and would like the opportunity to speak to you regarding your stay. Please contact me at your earliest convienence at 617.310.6713 - Kind Regards, Elaine Goldman, Director of Welcome Office
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

We arrived around 1 pm and our room wasn't ready till about 4 pm. Not a big deal, we left our luggage at the hotel and went sightseeing. Great location, many restaurants and shops within walking distance. Hotels staff is very helpful and friendly. We were offered complimentary drinks at their bar/lounge which got really busy later in the day. Room was a bit too dark, typical W atmosphere. The most comfortable bed!! Cool place, highly recommend it if you travel with friends or solo, not so much for families with kids.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the W Boston with some friends. I have never taken the time to review a hotel before but the outstanding service I recieved from the W staff, especially Jenn Boucher (concierge) deserves to be recognized. Our rooms were awesome to say the least. Being unfamiliar with the city, we relied on Jenn's advice. Not only did she make us feel like we were old friends, she made sure we knew all the right places to have a good time! Jenn suggested we try Limoncello Restaurant which we did. We thanked her and told her what a lovely restaurant it was. I left without telling her that we ate there twice because it was sooo good! Our stay was so perfect that we are already planning our next stay at W Boston and we owe it all to the staff! I would highly recomend W Boston.Everyone we came in contact with was so nice and helpful. Thank you W Boston!

Room Tip: Tell the concierge your specific needs and you will be accomodated, I was!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

Used points for one night stay with the Mrs. The W is certainly a departure from Boston's typical, stuffy (boring) hotels. Room was large and well appointed...definitely more room than I've had at other Ws. Real star of the show was the lounge in the lobby, particularly after dinner. Arrived after dinner in the Theatre District to a long line entering the hotel...people dressed to the nines...definitely more club than hotel at that point. Good news, the noise of the party didn't filter to upstairs. Good choice overall...just leave the kids and the grandparents at home.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank floricuse
Exeter, New Hampshire, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

I have a terrible habit of reading all of the bad posts about a new hotel before I stay there...in some ways maybe this makes me expect the worst and recieve,,,well....better than the worst. In this case, I was pleasantly surprised by the greatness of this hotel!

As a new englander, we have stayed in Boston multiple times throughout the years and the W was a welcome surprise! We loved the location, the kindness of the staff, and the quality of the room (we had a cool corner room...number 628). The bathroom was huge with a great soaking tub, and the screen that everyone seemed to complain about was not nearly as bad as it had been made out to be. Our bathroom had its own light switch to control the lights in the bathroom only (gasp!). Although it was a bit noisy, once you drew the shades and settled into the ultra comfortable bed you were able to adjust (another gasp!) to the sounds of the city. If you don't want to hear sirens or the hustle and bustle of people on a Saturday night then my suggestion would be to go up to the mountains, not the middle of Boston.

Overall, I am so pleased with our stay and would stay there again every weekend if I could.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple