“Reinventing Boston A City Engineered”
Review of Boston By Foot

Boston By Foot
Ranked #25 of 151 Tours in Boston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Regularly scheduled walking tours that highlight Boston's rich history and architectural heritage. Private tours can be arranged at any time.
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My wife & I are no strangers to Boston. Both of us having worked there many years we decided to take this tour to discover the evolution of the city. The tours leave from the steaming Kettle on Government Center plaza. Only the 2 of us showed up for this particular tour I thought they might cancel but no we left on schedule. Another guide that does a different tour joined us. Our Guide Tom was very knowledgeable and pointed out landmarks. Landmarks we had passed many times without a clue that they were there or what they represented were explained and we came away with a much clearer understanding of the many ways Boston has changed since its founding. Our tag along guide added a some details from the tours she leads. We will be taking other Boston by Foot tours in the future.

1  Thank Pete H
"great introduction"
"faneuil hall"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Varied buildings including Victorian and Phillip Johnson. Cultural, historical info included. Even a brief sit down for an organ practice. Too many people on our tour but guide handled it well. We did the Back Bay tour. Definitely for adults though our teen did ok.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Boston By Foot offers a huge variety of Boston tours that offer up tidbits of Boston history. The faithful docents lead tours on walking tours that accentuate such neighborhoods as Beacon Hill, the North End, and the Freedom Trail rain or shine even during hurricanes!

Architectural tours delight. Where else would you see a building described as a "French wedding cake" (Boston's second city hall)?

The Ames Hotel, recently renovated and structurally reinforced shows a mature Richardsonian Romanesque at it's best. The Commonwealth Avenue tour walks you through development of the Back Bay complete with the leveling of the hills to the filling in of the swamp. Styles bring eras before your eyes as details are categorized and family feuds seem written in stone.

For the young ones, a tour for "Little Feet" bring fledgling sleuths around Faneuil Hall and surrounds with the colonial tales of bravery that forged a new nation.

Each tour has its own tone. For the already knowledgeable, the seasonal "holiday tours" give a more refreshing jaunt through Boston's more festive sides. Docents very well versed in history and on time. Cost it very low. One of Boston's real gems.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We enjoyed our Hour of the Freedom Trail Tour and our guide was very careful to wait for late arrivals who had prepaid. We were a mixed group of adults (40ish through 65ish), three young teens and a boy about 10 years old. The teens and adults could certainly relate to the wealth of information supplied although the teens were not especially enthusiastic. The boy did not relate to this at all but he was respectful and quiet. Our guide was well read and may have been a college teacher judging by the references he gave. We were lucky enough to get the tickets on line for half price ($6.00 each) but even at full price I think this is worthwhile. The guides are volunteers and my husband offered a tip but the guide smilingly suggested that he give it as a donation to King's Chapel which was next to our last stop.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Our guide for "Heart of the Freedom Trail tour" was extremely knowledgeable with good humor and lots to say but I felt like the tour's content was too advanced. Being American and having taken my fair share of US History courses, I was able to follow and appreciate the tour. But those whose English is not perfect or who are not familiar with the Americam Revolution will have a hard time understanding the tour. Our group lost a father with young children and a French couple along the way because of this. Also, tour had much more architectural history than figures and events from history, and it covered only a few stops on the Freedom Trail, which was a slight disappointment to me. I read later the tour description though on BFB's website and it does mention architecture and the tour stops so that's my fault for not paying attention. Just a heads up though. Although the guide was great, his tour was not what I would describe as "Heart of the Freedom Trail," which is what I was expecting. Luckily, his less conventional tour was still enjoyable

Been to Boston By Foot? Share your experiences!