“We did ALL their Tours”

Boston By Foot
Ranked #21 of 148 Tours in Boston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Regularly scheduled walking tours that highlight Boston's rich history and architectural heritage. Private tours can be arranged at any time.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The have an amazing line up - We are a family of 4 w/young teenagers. Everyone enjoyed the docents. We learned and laughed and walked!

All reviews
"faneuil hall"
in 10 reviews
"american revolution"
in 7 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed November 1, 2012

For only $12, this tour is WELL worth the time and money! We found it by purchasing a living social deal for it (2 tours for $10). It was right before the hurricane (Sunday October 28th), so it was a little rainy and a little cold, but I was very surprised to see that they were still willing to take whoever showed up on a tour! There were only 4 of us (two couples) given the cold and rain, but the guide didn't show any concern or annoyance over the small number or weather at all.

As for the tour itself, our guide was very well-versed in the history of Boston. For those seeking a 'ghost tour' this is not it, but it does reveal some of the interesting crimes and history of Boston that I had never heard before (who knew we had a Molasses Explosion and Flood??). There's a fair bit of walking, but it's good because it breaks up the tour into little stories and you definitely don't get bored! We explored a lot of the North End area in little passageways and parks I had never knew existed.

Unfortunately, I didn't remember our guide's name, but he was excellent and very professional (and upbeat!). I would highly recommend this tour during Halloween, or any night of the year to hear about some of the interesting but not as commonly told stories of Boston.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I recently took five of the Boston by Foot tours and was impressed by the knowledge, presentation skills and amiability of the volunteer guides. (This was a busman's holiday. I'm a fellow tour guide -- a docent for walking, boat and bus tours with the Chicago Architecture Foundation.) Brian did a great job leading the two-hour Heart of the Freedom Trail, featuring stops at historic Faneuil Hall and the Old State House. Barry kept us chuckling over anecdotes as he led us through the elegant, hilly (feel the burn) streets of Beacon Hill. A highlight of our guide's tour of the North End (now an Italian neighborhood with great restaurants) was a walk through the old Copp's Hill Cemetery with its graves of 17th and 18th-century Bostonians. Leon illuminated the Victorian Back Bay with stops at the magnificent Trinity Church (note to architecture buffs: it was designed by H.H. Richardson) and public library. And Beth's Boston by Boat excursion is a 90-minute, fact-filled look at the city by way of the Charles River and Boston Harbor. Wear sensible shoes and bring your camera.

1  Thank Brent45
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Yesterday my wife, two friends and I had the pleasure of being guided by Jean and Katy on an extended Heart Of The Freedom Trail tour. They were model docents: knowledgeable, articulate and enthusiastic. They made our tour all the more memorable, matched only by the splendour of the Freedom Trail's architecture, artifacts and rich history. They were terrific representatives of Boston By Foot and veritable ambassadors of Boston. I highly recommend Boston By Foot.

2  Thank AveryC1963