“Great Beer and Great Atmosphere!!”

Harpoon Brewery & Beer Hall
Book In Advance
More Info
$99.00*
and up
Boston Brewery Tour plus Lunch or Dinner
Ranked #32 of 402 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: Please come and visit the brewery! Rich and Dan started Harpoon to make great beer and welcome beer lovers. That founding spirit lives on every day as we pour pints in the Beer Hall, take visitors on brewery tours, and share our passion for beer with fellow beer lovers.
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was able to make a stop at both of the major breweries in Boston in one day and will have to say Harpoon was my favorite. The staff is amazingly nice and do a great job of taking you through a fully operational brewery. The bar is great with long German beer hall style tables to meet new people and take in a great view of the city! Also when speaking about the view I must make a note to the guys to be sure to use the restroom as the urinals also have a great view of the city.

Also, I highly recommend getting one of their spent grain pretzels. Almost as good as the beer!

1  Thank BeerROx

Reviewed June 25, 2013

we visited the brewery with a large international group, including people from countries with a long and rich beer culture and history (no, not only Belgium).
The tour and explanation could be interesting if not so concentrated on how great, wonderfull, exeptional and superb the Harpoon beers are.
About the beer ? well... question of taste, mostly to sweet for me but
"les goûts et les couleurs de se discuttent pas"

Harpoon, go on, develop, learn and come back in 50 years to show what you've got.
Oh... the bretzel were great :-)

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I was trying to find something to do during our short visit in Boston and since I've never been inside a brewery I thought this would be interesting. My boyfriend and I got there on a Saturday around 2:00-2:15pm and the beer hall wasn't too crowded. We got the tour tickets and were told our tour would start at 3:30pm. We went to go eat nearby at Yankee Lobster and got back to the Beer Hall with time to spare. We shared a beer flight while we waited. It cost around $9. The tour is more of an informative explanation of how the brew process and packing process works. We got 20 minutes to sample beer. I probably tried 6-7 kinds so I think that was $5 well-spent for a tour & beer tasting. My tip: drink it fast and they'll refill your glass fast.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Was visiting family and trying to come up with ideas of things to do that were acceptable to everyone, and a brewery tour was on our list. We went ahead in the morning and bought tickets for a Saturday afternoon tour.

The beer hall itself is quite spacious although on the weekend it gets very full quickly so you may have to hover until you find yourself seats, and being bench seating you will probably have people either side of you.

The tour itself cost $5 and we found it rather underwhelming, first stop is the warehouse where hundreds of cases of beer are stacked and shrink wrapped and you're told how many cases of beer are shipped a week/month. Next up is the bottling machine, where you're told how many bottles can be filled per minute. Finally you're taking up above the brewing floor where there are several large tanks used to boil water and fermentation. A few bowls full of various hops are passed around and then you're whisked off to the 'tasting room'.

You're given a 6oz glass and are able to get samples (of around 3oz) of one of the many beers on selection, unfortunately there are only two people serving around 20-30 people and there is only 20 minutes to try samples. So there is a massive surge of people crowded around the bar and you only actually get to try 2 or 3 samples before the time is up. (Not even half a pint's worth)

We thought it would have a lot more about the brewing process and how the different flavours are brewed, and while we don't expect much for $5, the tasting session felt anarchic and not managed very well with some people just standing at the bar downing sample after sample while everyone else had trouble getting even their first.

The beer hall itself is very nice though, although I'd avoid it on a Saturday. We met friends there on a Sunday and spent a few hours there, the drinks themselves are very reasonably priced and our friends said the pretzels are great.

So as a bar, definitely worth your time visiting, but don't go on the tour, you're better off buying their sample trays at the bar (Four UFOs or four IPAs for $7 or $8), the tour is unfortunately quite dull and the tasting session bit of a farce.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We toured Harpoon Brewery on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. The brewery opened at 11 am. Two of my relatives stood in line for ONE HOUR to buy tickets for the tour. The tickets cost $5.00 each. Although, this was a holiday weekend, we could not believe how crowded this place was at 11 am! You must show your ID to take the tour. Even the oldest people in our group were ID'd and they are 80 years old! Some stair climbing is required so take that into consideration before setting out on this tour.

The tour guides were knowledgeable and friendly but the tour was not very exciting because nothing was in operation over the weekend. I don't know if you can watch the bottling process on other days, but if you could, it might make the tour better. At the end of the tour, you have about 20 minutes to sample beers from about 18 taps. I really enjoyed this part, not because I am a big beer drinker, which I am not, but because it was interesting how different all of the beers tasted.

After the tour, we sat in the beer hall and ordered some pretzels and beer. That is the only food available here,,, pretzels,,,which were wonderful. They had two kinds, salty or sweet (covered with cinnamon sugar). The pretzels come with some dipping sauces.

This is not really a family attraction, but more of an attraction for young adults.

1  Thank Flipper029