“Go here for the lobster roll...”

James Hook & Company
Ranked #8 of 3,202 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located on the waterfront in downtown Boston, James Hook & Co is the go-to place for delicious, high-quality lobster and seafood. We are a third generation family business, and have been selling lobster since 1925. James Hook & Co has earned a reputation for the finest lobster in town, even earning the Best Lobster award from Boston Magazine.
“Go here for the lobster roll...”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

There's nothing pretentious about this place. What they do, they do well. I had the lobster roll, and it was amazing. Highly recommend you stop in.

2 Thank SteveCornell

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
“My husband now thinks I'm a great cook!”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I come to James Hook & Company to buy salmon every Monday. My husband thinks I make the best salmon in Boston, better than he has ever had in a restaurant. The greatest part is I don't even do anything! I pour on a little marinade and through it in the oven. The fish is so fresh and tasty there it doesn't need any fancy tricks to be the best tasting around. Today we got some of the sushi grade tuna and wow is it good. I am so lucky to live close enough to be able to come here on a weekly basis! Another thing I love about this place is the friendly service. They always remember me which I really like. I can not recommend this place enough. If you have been eating grocery store fish, it's time for a change!

1 Thank TrinityNL
Earth, Texas
“Great fresh Lobster right from the tank”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We went here because of the good reviews on TA. It is not a restaurant, just a no-frills shack on a parking lot close to the Old Northern Avenue Bridge. They have only a handful of small bistro-style tables and the service is grumpy at best. But the lobster was fresh and tasted excellent. I have not eaten a better lobster in Boston, even in the best restaurants. Also the price is right. Two 1 1/2 pound lobsters for 40$. Highly recommended.

new jersey
“SLEEP INTERCONTINENTAL HOTEL EAT HERE”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Stay at the Intercontinental hotel walk out front door make right turn and wham, Lobster happenings. Just what the doctor ordered. No frills, just sends a chill through your body.

and you can take several more lobster rolls to your room for later.

makes me happy. good food and close by.

Katy, Texas
“Not that Great”
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Had a Lobster Roll at James Hook & Co. today. I'd been looking forward to trying one while in Boston for a quick visit. Despite the fairly unfriendly employees at the counter, and part of our group trying to order two things listed on the menu only to be told they didn't have them (not sure if they were out or just didn't offer them anymore - hot dog, mac & cheese), I was still ready to give the James Hook version of this iconic New England staple a try! I was very disappointed. It didn't have much flavor at all. There was a lot of lobster, however much of it was rubbery. Price is fairly average, which I believe was $12.00. I'd say it was just okay. I wouldn't go again. I've had much better.

Visited March 2014

Been to James Hook & Company? Share your experiences!