“The lobster roll....AHHH...”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Downtown
Description: Located on the waterfront in downtown Boston, James Hook & Co is the go-to place for delicious, high-quality lobster and seafood. We are a third generation family business, and have been selling lobster since 1925. James Hook & Co has earned a reputation for the finest lobster in town, even earning the Best Lobster award from Boston Magazine.
Reviewed December 5, 2012

LOVE....this was seriously a dive, but the lobster roll...AHHH...
My sister and I stopped in for a quick bite on the way to Cape Cod and I'm glad we did. We elected to get the regular sized lobster roll and share it....I could have eated the whole thing, so it's good we split it up prior to starting to eat it as one of us may have lost fingers....
I enjoyed the lobster roll so much that we returned the next day, on my way to the airport, to get another one. I just had to have another taste (this time a full lobster roll) before I left Boston.
The spot is bustling with people not only grabbing lunch, but buying fresh lobsters, crabs, soups, etc. The tuna looked amazing (and sushi grade) as did everything else. Knuckle meat...yum...I wish it would have saved nicely in my luggage.
This is a must visit in Boston...I have been on a quest for the 'best' lobster roll in Boston and I may have found it!

There are newer reviews for James Hook & Company

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Decided to wander over to James Hook for a Lobster roll one afternoon while in Boston. We had a little trouble naviagting to it from the "T" because our IPhone Map kept getting confused downtown. However, we found it (and it isn't hard, really!). The Lobster Roll was absolutely amazing! Stuffed, stuffed, stuffed with fresh lobster and not gunked up with to much Mayo. There is pretty limited seating inside, and we were fortunate to beat the rush. You also need to just jump in and order - there isn't really any kind of "queue" just a deli counter. You won't find a better roll at a better price anywhere there, I'm sure!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

WE stumbled into this one on one of our walks. Had no idea it had a great reputation. The lobster roll - LARGE size was great to share. The CLAM CHOWdER was soooo good. We agreed we could have gone back for more. Its small inside, so if there is a table grab it and send someone else to the counter for you food... Not cheap. Share the roll and chowder, so you can try both

Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

While out for an early morning walk on a brisk fall morning, we crossed the pedestrian bridge connecting the Seaport area to downtown and found ourselves in James Hook's parking lot. Thoughts of lobster rolls delighted us, and we thought "why not-- lobster rolls for breakfast!"
It was a perfect idea ... Warm, crunchy lightly toasted rolls stuffed with sweet fresh lobster meat. Traditional. Fresh. Delicious.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I walked by this place and popped in. We were considering shipping some lobsters home. After speaking with one of the sales guys and him explaining the overnight shipping rates he suggested we come back on our date of departure and for $10 we have them packed in a carry on size cooler. This worked like a charm and made everyone at home happy to see us!